It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions in U.S. drink dirty water, records show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Millions in U.S. drink dirty water, records show

www.msnbc.msn.com

More than 20 percent of the nation’s water treatment systems have violated key provisions of the Safe Drinking Water Act over the last five years

That law requires communities to deliver safe tap water to local residents. But since 2004, the water provided to more than 49 million people has contained illegal concentrations of chemicals like arsenic or radioactive substances like uranium, as well as dangerous bacteria often found in sewage.

Only 6 percent of systems that broke law
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Everyone, this is an important thread, and let me explain how.

Regulators were informed of each of those violations as they occurred. But regulatory records show that fewer than 6 percent of the water systems that broke the law were ever fined or punished by state or federal officials, including those at the Environmental Protection Agency, which has ultimate responsibility for enforcing standards.

The above proves that Govt. CANNOT handle this arena
Little oversight and little or no accountability, and now they want to manage a global environmental pact?

Studies indicate that drinking water contaminants are linked to millions of instances of illness within the United States each year.

They can't even manage clean water, now this inefficiency causes many illness.

They say taking painkillers or antibiotics with alcohol causes stomach bleeding, I wonder what is caused when taking medcines with radioactive water with arsenic.

But forget that, let's do universal healthcare?

“This administration has made it clear that clean water is a top priority,” said an E.P.A. spokeswoman

Apparently not!

“The previous eight years provide a perfect example of what happens when political leadership fails to act to protect our health and the environment,” Ms. Andy added.

Wait the EPA is trying to blame Bush for bad water systems?????

Now let's summarize the article, firstly

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA or sometimes USEPA) is an agency of the federal government of the United States charged to protect human health and the environment, by writing and enforcing regulations based on laws passed by Congress.
en.wikipedia.org...

Now if you read the article the jist of it is basically a regulatory body is saying they will tackle the issue with more regulations??????

If they need more regulators then what the heck is the EPA for?

Govt. Solution = Throw More Money at the problem!

This is why Govt. can NOT do anything right and the free market needs to take over.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This points to the very thing why others and myself are so fracking angry about this global warming ****fest.

They cannot even do their current job, it is kind of hard to do your job when you are too busy taking bribes.

S&F Like your moxie.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is nothing new and I don't see how anyone could be shocked by this information. As long as our government keep giving free passes to the voilators in the name of big buisness.

I live in Michigan and I'm an avid sportman. I see the condition of our lakes and it sickens me how we distory some of our most pretious resources.

The government does not give a squat about our waterways get use to it. Michigans govenor is sueing to close the water way that connects lake michigan to the mississippi river in order to stop the jumping carp. Our governemnt has known about this for 10 F-n years and they're just now doing something about it.

Same with invasive spicies getting into our waters from ballast waters of ships. I read they are suing for tighter regualtions. We have 90 invasive species in the past 40 years and they're just now doing something about it.

If you ask me the governement knows this is a invoirmental cotastaphy in the making and they're just looking to cover their ass. So they can say look we tried to do something.

F- the governemt they don't give a squat.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
In Oregon it was found that some parts around Portland had ecoli ( cant spell that) in the drinking water and people would need to boil water first.

Thats a major city in the US that has bad drinking water and it could kill you.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yes I agree! This thread has lots of information regarding the safety of our water:

Is your drinking water safe? Answer: NO.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I'm not shocked by the info
I am shocked however at those supporting to copenhagen climate change pact

Govt. Can NOT manage global environment.

They will only try to grow govt., that's all they will try to do

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I have been pushing like mad in my community over the fact that our city water is literally crap. I will be siting this article in another paper, thanks for the link.

new topics

top topics

join