It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Husband Did The Grocery Shopping, OMG...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

We also have VERY different ideas about when leftovers are no longer fit for consumption. But that's a whole other issue

Sorta part and parcel of the same issue though...... You are probably the "taster" in your household who determines if things are "past it" or not. "does this smell good to you?"

If it hasn't grown a visible variant of the original ecology, it's still good.
There is no real way to tell if Bleau cheese or sour cream has gone "off".
Science experiments should be heated throughout to 180 degrees F to be eaten.
Only men will put things in their mouths too hot to hold in their hands.
If you can bend a carrot into a mobius, it's still good for soup.
It is entirely logical that one side of a container of leftovers has crossed the barrier, while the other is still fine.

My Mom used to make ongoing stew. It was never really finished, at least that I remember. It was always added to, with whatever she could scavenge. She would make parched corn for me to carry in my pockets when I was away from home for long periods.

What does this have to do with the thread? Perhaps nothing, but perhaps it's somewhat indicative of the mindset of a person who thinks of groceries in terms of portability. Maybe AD's husband still thinks in terms of simple, portable manfood. Jerkey, meat patties.

Anyway, I digress. Repeatedly. Apologies AD -- I'm hungry, and already contemplating some wahoo and vegetable tacos with chili sauce and serrano peppers.

zzzzzzzzzing!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
You are probably the "taster" in your household who determines if things are "past it" or not. "does this smell good to you?"

Au contraire. I'd never be trusted with that task. As far as I'm concerned, if it's in the fridge, that's a de facto acknowledgment it's still edible. Conversation noremally goes like this

The Queen: (Wearing look of horror) You didn't eat that did you??!?!?

Me: (In front of fridge with empty container and fork) Uhhh... yes?

The Queen: Oh! My! God! I'm sure that had gone over.

Me: Guess we'll know tomorrow.

I'm always fine. It begs the question - if you're so sure, why the hell is it still in the fridge? That's one can I'm not prepared to open.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
He did ask me to taste a potato and egg salad yesterday, and then he asked if it was still good. He was willing to risk my life on something he wasn't sure about.:shk:

I did heat a pot pie last night, and it was good, plus I have plenty of snacks.
That part of his shopping turned out to be good.

But dinner last night was what he calls KD&W.
It's Kraft Dinner boiled with wieners sliced up and mixed with cheese.

It was actually not too bad.
Not sure I can eat it every day, but he wants to make it with bacon tomorrow.

I think I'll try to get to the store today and buy some vegetables and fruit to get me by.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'll say this much --- I detest microwave ovens. I'll never own one. They don't cook evenly, food comes out too cold, too hot, or a weird combination of too hot and too cold.
Food zapped in a microwave smells bad. Down with microwave ovens!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wow, i'm a guy but i would ot by any of the aforementioned foods.
1, they're disgusting
2, they're bad for you
3, they're just really unhealthy

yes i am a health nut that ALWAYS has some fruit in the house. your husband just seems to not care about his health. wow.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Here's my take on this, anxietydisorder. Your husband harkens back to his ancient ancestors' time, when one of his ancestors went hunting, maybe carved off a part at the most, and threw the meat on a fire. Today he "hunts" in the grocery store, grabbing his prey, and then throws the prey into the modern day equivalent of a fire. Ugg...good...me happy...

You, OTOH, are an enlightened food soul. You learned (from your ancient ancestors) to gather specific plants for their nutritional value and preparative properties. You needed to keep a mental list. You needed to combine the right amount of water and flour; you needed ingredients. Someone else made your husband's ancestor's prey, but you, anxietydisorder, you copy the ancestor who needed to combine to help humans along the road to, well, being more human.

I am, like you, an EFS. I browse the aisles for the highest nutritional and preparative qualities. My, our, chicken soup has been proven through time to cure the ills of body, mind, and soul. Try curing anything with a prepared pizza!

Alas, we are both married to our polar food/shopping opposites. Thank God we love them for other aspects. Thank God they possess other aspects for us to love. I keep this in mind when I am presented with a tv dinner from the microwave. And I Thank God it doesn't happen often!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join