It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Galactic unveils commercial spaceship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fumanchu

Right, but that was just a faster way to get from point A to point B, space is entirely different. There is vas oppertunities out there that we've yet to discover (at least publicly) So it's not an impossible or reasonable expectation for space travel "en masse" to be practicle and affordable

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I nominate all the sockpuppets of the NWO get to go on the first flight.

Whispering-are we ready with that satelite missile system? Yes sir.

I second that motion.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
That's not space! That is just a high flying airplane. People can't go very far into ''outer space'' before they malfunction. This is just a really high amusement ride. They'll be no more in space than I am right now. I'm sitting here in a chair in ''space''.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I'd definitely take a trip up if I had the cash.

I think we should have a contest or lottery at ATS where everyone puts in a dollar until there is enough to pay for a 200k seat on one of these flights. Then only lucky person will win a ride.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

That would be awsome...accept I don't think there's 200,000 active members on ( I could be wrong) Ya I'd love the chance to go for a trip but I'll wait until the price comes down, way down...mumbles darn rich kids get all the fun

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Either way...it would be interesting to experience the 'trip" as well as the five minutes of wieghtlessnes. If a program like this is as close as I may come to actual space in my lifetime then heck...count me in!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
That's not space! That is just a high flying airplane. People can't go very far into ''outer space'' before they malfunction. This is just a really high amusement ride. They'll be no more in space than I am right now. I'm sitting here in a chair in ''space''.

"Officially" it is space.

Space is defined by The "Fédération Aéronautique Internationale" (FAI) as being at an altitude of 100 kilometers (62 miles). However, that is a bit of an arbitrary number and there is no real tangible boundary between Earth and Space because the atmosphere thins out so gradually.

According to the FAI Anyone who as ever flown higher than 62 miles were officially in "space".

...But, yes, I agree that because this ship isn't "going into orbit" (Spaceship Two is not able to reach orbit) it's a bit of s stretch to say that it is a trip to outer space. It may meet the definition of "space" at 65 miles -- and it would be an incredible trip -- but it's not the same as going into orbit.

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
redundant post sorry

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Silk]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire

"Officially" it is space.

Space is defined by The "Fédération Aéronautique Internationale" (FIA) as being at an altitude of 100 kilometers (62 mi). However, that is a bit of an arbitrary number and there really is no real boundary between Earth and Space because the atmosphere thins out so gradually.

Anyone who as ever flown higher than 62 miles were officially in "space".

But. yes, I agree that this because this ship isn't "going into orbit" (Spaceship Two is not able to reach orbit) it's a bit of s stretch to say that it is a trip to outer space. It may meet the definition of "space" at 65 miles -- and it would be an incredible trip -- but it's not the same as going into orbit.

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

It's true but true other space begins higher when you pass all the layerss. This is just a stratososphere ride.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Virgin Galactic can stick it's rocket planes.

I'll continue to wait for a ride in the Gravity Control Technology's anti-gravity flying saucer.

That should not be too long as there already are anti-flying gravity saucers.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Actually they would be crashing in New Mexico. None of the commercial flights will be from Mojave. They will be from the space port Virgin is building near white sands.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
This is just a stratososphere ride.

Yes, it's just higher than any commercial ever in the history of man - unless you count the 25 million dollar seats to go to the space station.

Doesn't really matter to me what you want to call it the fact is it's the most beautiful view of earth most of us will ever get a chance to see and if you ask me well worth the 200k price tag.

So, if it's not high enough for you how about making something that goes higher yourself? Otherwise what's your point?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Originally posted by pepsi78
This is just a stratososphere ride.

Yes, it's just higher than any commercial ever in the history of man - unless you count the 25 million dollar seats to go to the space station.

Doesn't really matter to me what you want to call it the fact is it's the most beautiful view of earth most of us will ever get a chance to see and if you ask me well worth the 200k price tag.

So, if it's not high enough for you how about making something that goes higher yourself? Otherwise what's your point?

My point was that they should call it what it is and not the space adventures ride, because it's a lie. It's a suborbital craft and the price for this is huge. It rips people off by telling a lie. To get into lower orbit you need huge rockets to break gravity, that is no joke. Lower orbit is where the true cosmos begins.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by pepsi78]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Well first of all those facts are disputed - even here in this thread.

Secondly, it's called marketing and though you can complain all you like I seriously doubt anybody's going to sue them for false marketing. Who knows though, there are always bound to be disappointed customers.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
FlightGlobal has it on good authority that the first musical act to perform in space will be Spandau Ballet. After VSS Enterprise begins flights, it`s reported that they will go up, and perform one of their songs. The cameras and audio will be controlled remotely from the ground.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join