It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google CEO: Secrets Are for Filthy People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Wow, the philosophy of Googles CEO is, if you have something you dont want someone to know, maybe you shouldnt be doing it.
He also mentions the patriot act and how the information thats stored in Google could very well find its way to the proper authorities, if need be.

I cant believe that people what the "wonderful" information age has come to this in such a short time.
When I first got into computers, around 1996 or 97 and started working on them, i thought how awesome the "information super highway" was going to be.
This was a time before Facebook and Myspace, when internet anonymity was not just stressed to us, the importance of it was literally driven into your head on a daily basis.

Source of story and video

Eric Schmidt suggests you alter your scandalous behavior before you complain about his company invading your privacy. That's what the Google CEO told Maria Bartiromo during CNBC's big Google special last night, an extraordinary pronouncement for such a secretive guy. The generous explanation for Schmidt's statement is that he's revolutionized his thinking since 2005, when he blacklisted CNET for publishing info about him gleaned from Google searches, including salary, neighborhood, hobbies and political donations. In that case, the married CEO must not mind all the coverage of his various reputed girlfriends; it's odd he doesn't clarify what's going on with the widely-rumored extramarital dalliances, though. Schmidt's philosophy is clear with Bartiromo in the clip below: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." The philosophy that secrets are useful mainly to indecent people is awfully convenient for Schmidt as the CEO of a company whose value proposition revolves around info-hoarding. Convenient, that is, as long as people are smart enough not to apply the "secrets suck" philosophy to their Google passwords , credit card numbers and various other secrets they need to put money in Google's pockets.

Now, sharing your name, birthdays and in some cases, home address, is not only accepted, some people actually consider one paranoid if you keep this information private.
This practice only started in the last few years, mostly due to the popularity of all of the social networking sites out there, with their status updates and mood information constantly streaming across your page, as well as all of your "friends" pages.
Seriously, who cares if you're about to water your plants or about to take your dog for a walk.
That is of course, unless you go through the settings and choose the different levels of privacy options, at least for myspace, which i do have to communicate with my daughter. I know longer have Facebook acct due to its lax security settings but especially because of their ToS agreements.

Google though, makes me very nervous. I remember claims made about them that very soon after their debut as a search engine, especially the presence of their cookies that expire sometime around the 2030's.

Anyway, heres Googles CEO giving his opinion on people that may desire even a little bit of privacy.
What a jackass.

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Google crome stores all your search information in google database, so don't use it. There is the new google OS that is comming out, an operating sistem that does not use hard drives to store information, it stores information on google servers, so all your private information, files are stored online. Google is a decent search engine, but that is all for me.
People just don't care about their privacy because they are dumb and have no self preservation anymore, it's like a mountain of hive where you compute as a part to the open source of information, you being the information.

Microsoft was the promotoer of privacy and still is, things have not changed, it's just that others are on the market now. If you look at windows updates you will always find they contain stuff to protect your privacy and to secure your computer. I always use internet explorer, I prefere it over google crome anytime.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Oh yea, ive heard about Googles new OS and would NEVER even consider using it.
I mean seriously, YOUR information, all of it, banking info, passwords everything, stored on a remote hard drive on Googles server.
Want to know the funny thing though, people will use it.

I really wish that I had not come to rely on the damn internet so much but its pretty much a necessity in this age, especially for obtaining jobs.

Oh, and i would never dream of using Chrome either, its bad enough that I got a Gmail acct but it was actually required for a particular job that I was trying to get on board with.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Are you guys saying that cloud computing is a misnomer for all your life belong to us?

But clouds are fluffy ...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
yea...as I told a friend of mine about 'privacy' and so called 'hiding secrets'.....after a short arguement..

I said.. "I guess then you wouldn't mind if I just filter through you mail box EVERY SINGLE day and looked to see what you were doing .. and how much you had in the bank .. etc,etc..?"..

He said.." sure come on over.."
me: "every sigle day ? "
Friend: "well...."
me: "exactally!!!! It's not about privacy as it is about PROPERTY, it's my stuff NOT yours. if it's MY propery, then it's private and THEN I can choose who I want to see it or not and until then, KEEP OUT"

end of conversation..
it never came up again ..

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Yahoo, Verizon: Our Spy Capabilities Would ‘Shock’, ‘Confuse’ Consumers

See ... I knew the whole thing was very silly, they don't want to confuse us.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I just cant get over how fast and easily people were manipulated and re-programmed away from internet anonymity.
Not trying to start a huge conspiracy about it but the time period that this re-programming started was early to mid 2000's, maybe 02-03, not long after 9/11 actually.

I believe thats why some people believe that Facebook and Myspace are CIA fronts and hell, like i said earlier, i remember when questions about Goolge started coming out but that was well before 01.
The rumors were the same for them, I even heard that Google had hired "former" CIA and possibly NSA members to fill very important but low key positions at Google.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So besides the bull crap lame old site google are there any
sites like it?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This is why i use startpage not google.

Anyone know of any other good private search engines.

I guess well all have to start using proxies.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Crap man I really like googles innovation and the great things they come out with but this is downright scary! (sort of)

What about private browsing? Is it really private? Or does it serve a dual purpose?

* =) *
Are you guys saying that cloud computing is a misnomer for all your life belong to us?
But clouds are fluffy ...

* =) *
^^^^^ That made my night!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Unfortunately, I believe that google is the best search engine available to us at this time.

Btw, i dont use Chrome or IE, FireFox is my browser but even it seems to be getting bloated and a resource hog.

This is interesting too, This guy has pretty close ties to Barak Hussein Obama

Schmidt was an informal advisor to the Barack Obama presidential campaign and began campaigning the week of October 19, 2008, on behalf of the candidate [21]. He had been mentioned as a possible candidate for the new Chief Technology Officer position which Obama created in his administration. [22]. In announcing his endorsement for Obama, Schmidt jokingly said that with his $1.00 salary, he would be getting a tax cut [23]. After Obama won, Schmidt was a member of President Obama's transition advisory board. He proposed that the easiest way to solve all of the United States' problems at once, at least in domestic policy, is by a stimulus program that rewards renewable energy and, over time, attempts to replace fossil fuels with renewable energy [24].

source

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I used to keep my online info secret when I started using the web heavily. When MySpace came out I didn't use that for a while and I avoided Facebook because of all the stupid apps you had to deal with. Eventually I got rid of my myspace account though because it got to be too much like facebook. Oddly, I started using facebook more because people I couldn't keep in touch with otherwise was on it. I still keep the privacy settings as maximum as I can and only put info I really don't care to be public on there.

As for search engines I use Ixquick because I heard about it on that coast to coast website and it says it doesn't store any information on searches... Still not 100% sure about that one.

As far as any OS is concerned, I figure if you have a computer and it's hooked up to the net, it's compromised. No matter what kind of security you have, there's always someone out there that if they want what's on your drives, they will get it. It makes it easier to do it through the web than it is if they have to actually come to your house, stake it out, break in when no one is home, and copy all the data, then go back and crack it. Any truly private information you don't want anyone to know is best left in your head and forgotten.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaker

As far as any OS is concerned, I figure if you have a computer and it's hooked up to the net, it's compromised. No matter what kind of security you have, there's always someone out there that if they want what's on your drives, they will get it.

True this is why i am think about only haveing the OS on the drive and all data on a usb or external drive.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The CEO of google is a filthy person.He has many secrets on google earth imaging.Hiding and discusing images on google earth.Some of the chop shots are so sloppy you can tell they have been altered.Not to worry.There are some cleaver people who can hack into russian and chinese spy sattalites and get a real picture of whats been hidden by google earth imaging.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It wasn't that long ago that Google announced they would now be your phone, internet, medical records, book repository, everything provider. I can't WAIT for that kind of information to be collected, housed and watched over by a company who feels that way about our info.

Google becomes your everything - ATS Story

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that usually, the same people who suggest that "privacy is for those who are hiding something" are the same one who demand privacy for themselves.

Typical "do as I say and not as I do" hypocrisy.

Even more interesting is that people are buying into it, hook, line and sinker.

So many people today have no expectation of privacy at all. Sad really.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xman_in_blackx

So many people today have no expectation of privacy at all. Sad really.

Yea, I dont get it either. Just like I dont get the lack of interest in this topic.
It seriously boggles my mind that people are not outraged that the CEO of the largest and dominant search engine, as well as an email provider, cares so little about the privacy of its customers.
Not only does he NOT care, he actually says and believes that people that are concerned about their privacy are basically crooked and have something to hide

Screw him, but what can you really do about it? Send him emails, which hell ignore, boycott Google, Gmail and their other "free" products, well, theyre free, that wont hurt them much.

This boards changed a lot though, there was a time when people here wouldve been all over this type of information.
What else do you need? Its not even a conspiracy, the CEO of Google SAYS it on video.
Oh well, I guess they cant be pulled from their controversial threads where arguing is the main topic.

new topics

top topics

join