It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Google DNS a way to track your web habits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I did a search on here but didnt find a post about this,excuse me if I missed.I wonder if the google DNS service is a way to track your every move on the internet.Google has ways to save the info but their policy says they dont keep personel info.How do we know what they save or record.If your every web site is routed through their dns servers how do we know they are not saving everything including keystrokes.To me this seems like a way for big brother to track all your online activity.What do you think?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
well I think it already too late, do we?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
They will have a hard time to get to the top.

OpenDNS already does this with billions of queries daily with a good performance and little downtime, impressive comparing their few servers with Google's hundreds across the world.

I think at least a full year will pass before Google achieves its goal.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
From the Google privacy page:

What we log Google Public DNS stores two sets of logs: temporary and permanent. The temporary logs store the full IP address of the machine you're using. We have to do this so that we can spot potentially bad things like DDoS attacks and so we can fix problems, such as particular domains not showing up for specific users. We delete these temporary logs within 24 to 48 hours. In the permanent logs, we don't keep personally identifiable information or IP information. We do keep some location information (at the city/metro level) so that we can conduct debugging, analyze abuse phenomena and improve the Google Public DNS prefetching feature. We don't correlate or combine your information from these logs with any other log data that Google might have about your use of other services, such as data from Web Search and data from advertising on the Google content network. After keeping this data for two weeks, we randomly sample a small subset for permanent storage

code.google.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
A lot of people fear Google and try to link them with a larger intelligence-related conspiracy, and this may very well be the case. But at the end of the day, there really is no such thing as privacy online, despite what anyone's policies might state.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kawz1

thank you kawz1 for your reply.I was asking people what they thought about the possibility.I didnt ask about other dns servers or what googles policy stated,I merely wanted opinions from others.I guess this subject doesnt warrant discussion.thanks to all anyway.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by donquad2001]

new topics

top topics

join