It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Impossible Size of Dinosaurs

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

The reason dinosaurs grew so large is because at the time they existed, the continents were all located close to the equator and were home to abundant supplies of edible plants, and the climate was much warmer and the atmosphere far richer in oxygen - all essential requirements for sustaining a large animal.

So if this is true, then we should be able to replicate this in a lab. Just make it warmer, rich in oxygen, with lots of food and then... watch 'em grow, and grow, and grow!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously?

[edit on 8-1-2010 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Nitrogen is an essential component of all proteins. Nitrogen deficiency most often results in stunted growth.

Given that the worlds atmosphere was higher in nitrogen, it caused plants and animals of all type to be bigger.

This makes no sense. Plants and animals do not take in nitrogen in its gas phase.

Originally posted by SorensDespair
And I don't even know what you're talking about with the pebble/mountain comment, but I'll try to address it anyway. The reason your analogy doesn't work is because the density of a pebble and a mountain are roughly the same. The density of a neutron star and Earth are vastly different. More mass = more gravity.
F = G * (m_1 m_2)/(r^2)

There's more to it than this but I quoted this specifically because I didn't feel like quoting everything.
If you increase the size of something without increasing its mass, some object on the surface on the "inflating" object will be farther away from the center of mass. r will increase as m1 and m2 remain constant, and therefore the gravitational pull, or weight, will decrease.
Just a heads up there, if it helps.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, the HUGE dinosaurs were the herbivores, and they adapted rightly so in their environment in order to reach high enough to get to their preferred food source. I guess they weren't always this large, but when plants started getting bigger (due to atmospheric changes), the dinosaurs needed to get bigger also.

The only thing that bugs me is, that the T-REX is enormously huge as well, but not as huge as the herbivores.

As far as it goes for the weight problem, think about ants. Two ants looking up towards a human, would probably argue "dude, how can that guy stand up, he is huge! Gravity should stick him to the floor due to his mass!"

The ants having the size they do, cannot figure out how we are able to stand up. For them we are HUGE. It's the same deal as with dinosaurs. Or it could be just me being stupid and comparing in ways I shouldn't be comparing in.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
On the discovery channel they had a Dinosaur show marathon on, and it said that they were able to grow to such mammoth sizes because of to Hollow bones, like birds have

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Excuse me if I say something that's already be said. (I haven't had time to read all the posts.)

The earth has never drastically changed mass after it formed. This whole "the earth is getting bigger because dinosaurs where so huge" has got to be one of the dumbest theories ever. I mean really think about it, if the earth was some how magically gaining mass , do you have any idea what that would do to orbit. If we assume earth had the right balance of gravity and speed to maintain orbit, and then keep adding gravity to the equation, the earth would eventually fall into the sun.

It's obviously the atmosphere that has been affecting animal size. The best examples I can think of are insects. Ever wonder why there so small. This is because their exoskeleton limits how much their lungs expand when they take in air. Notice how no where on their body moves up and down while breathing unlike your chest. Also if they are smaller the ratio of oxygen to their bodies will be higher, and their muscle can be more effective, and this would explain how ants can lift so much. Now if you look at fossils you'll notice that insects were much bigger in the time of the dinosaurs, in about the same ratio that dinosaurs are bigger than animals now.

So... what have we learned? The ration of oxygen in the atmosphere affects muscle efficiency, and muscle efficiency affects possible animal size.

Checkmate

I win

Big dinosaur mystery solved.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by R Ewe Blind 2]

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Actually all the Scientific data suggests a greater Gravitational field.

Current experiments suggest a biological body atrophy's in lower g fields.

Bone, muscle mass and cardiovascular systems at low atmosphere's degrade and become smaller.

Tier 1. process...Common mistake.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by R Ewe Blind 2

Hummm!, Not so fast! When we subject astronauts to less gravity they loose body mass although oxygen levels are kept at optimum levels?

Actually Insects seem to have the same biological problems after re-entry into a gravitational field.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Memoe because: Insects have the same biological problems as humans after re-entry into earth's orbit.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There nostral size ,, they got measurements right?????

on the huge Brontasaurous,, how much C.F.M ,,,must pass that orifice too oxygenate its body mass?

Simple

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Err...Perhaps there is an equation of ratio to Cfm to body mass? Would love to see it!

Is there a Link, Perhaps HVAC Duct Size 101. LOL.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Memoe

Yup ,,,long way from the 6 inch nostrels,,,,unless its lungs where in its ears maybe,.. yupp,, 6" round duct at least for that distances. Now the formula for 6" round C.F.M over a distance of X, would need a motor capable of X C.F.M, so too move x amount of cubic feet of air,,, oh wait too late its dead,,, lol

Right,
lol
edit on 5-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2011 by BobAthome because: Of course it would help if it took air from its ass,,,, but then u would have blow by.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

here is my question, because I don't have any way of even coming close to knowing the science nor the math numbers behind it. But, if the Earth had been smaller and less gravity, would that have any effect on its rotation? hours in the day and rotation around the sun? Would its days have been shorter? its years? or longer?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Hah! Your a hoot!!! I see you get the drift.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Memoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Memoe

We assume a constant volume system. Or maybe a constant volume and tertiary system? If tertiary only! Ummm. real hard to extrap total energy expenditures at any mass...:0

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I love that pic!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Have you seen T-Rex micro fracture of arm bones? Suggests flight? No, Yes? Cartilaginous separation of the caracatus. Such a big step for a small article. Big head, Little arms. Hah 

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Memoe

No it implies,, dont fall on arms,,when fighting tonnage monsters,,, lol wimpy arms,,, lol

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
So if this is true, then we should be able to replicate this in a lab. Just make it warmer, rich in oxygen, with lots of food and then... watch 'em grow, and grow, and grow!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously?

Actually, yeah. The closest living relatives to dinosaurs, besides birds, are crocodilians. There is no upper limit to how large a crocodilian can grow. So long as they are alive and feeding, they are growing. And since they have a rather slow metabolism, they can theoretically live well over a hundred years in ideal conditions.

However, I seriously doubt it's that simple for dinosaurs; however the bones and skeletal structures of the biggest dinosaurs are clearly quite able to hold up and move the animal in our current gravity. Remember that gravity is a very weak force.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Yes, I may be swayed a bit, If we look at the T's large pendulous, it's obvious she was able of flight! That huge rocker could achieve huge forces over the wing span of possibly twenty+ ft.. Very efficient flight characteristics..the greater the gravitational forces the more efficient she was able to motivate.
The lack of g-force was her down fall!
The dinosaur’s blood turned to gas and boiled as the G decreased. They practically fell where they stood.
Step into space from a capsule and the blood in your veins will instantly turn to a gas.

Just an analogy.

Current Gravity suggests a consant. If it's mathematically proofed as a variable. Would a Geologist/Palentologist/ or other succeed the evidence.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Memoe because: Current Gravity suggests a Constant = Not So! Def. Gravity is a force we do not understand and connot duplicate.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Memoe

The current def. of Gravity: A force we do not understand and cannot duplicate.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Memoe because: misspelling

edit on 5-7-2011 by Memoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Great thread. But People still persist in this misconception that "Dinosaurs" are Reptiles...They are NOT Reptiles.

Reptiles are a separate Species, just like mammals.

When Dinosaur skeletons were first "Constructed" in the late 1800-early 1900s, they unknowingly made the legs splay out, like that of Crocodiles/lizards etc. Until they eventually found out that it No Way in the World would the animal be able to move or support its own weight. Then. by studying the shape of the hip and shoulder bones, realised that Dinosaurs walked very much like Large mammals, Elephants and such like.

It is also considered now, that these large creatures had soft skin, unlike the scaley lizard, and would have been camoflaged to their environment, or brightly coloured as a warning to other predators. The may have also had a light fur or hair covering that we are not aware of....they have certainly found smaller Dinosaur fossils with Feathers...but, they are not birds.

All we can do is speculate, regardless of how many Phd's we have or letters after ones name.
No one exisiting now, ever has or ever will see a dinosaur. Except perhaps the elusive Pleisiasaur in the depths...

One thing noone has touched on yet, unless I missed it, is the Trees. Apparently the Conifers and ferns, palms etc were also Huge and massive...obviously with the effect of producing massive amounts of O2??. Like the huge ancient Cali Redwood and Agathis Australis or Kauri tree.
The bigger the tree, the taller the animal??

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join