It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CLI and SETIdriver - 5x more data crunching!

page: 1

join
share:
d1k

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Heres a link to my stats

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Your credit:
Name (and URL) X-File
Results Received 5717
Total CPU Time 12.580 years
Average CPU Time per work unit 19 hr 16 min 35.5 sec
Average results received per day 3.13
Last result returned: Wed May 19 03:01:36 2004 UTC
Registered on: Sat May 22 18:22:06 1999 UTC
View Registration Class
SETI@home user for: 5.005 years

I use to instal the seti@home screen saver client on as many computers as I could. If someone wanted me to fix their computer (and if it was a small/easy job) I would not take money just ask to install the screen saver client. About 3 years into my data crunching I came accross this groups (I do not belong to their group) web site that told about setidriver and the command line interface, and how it crunches 5x more data in the same amount of time as the screen saver based version. I have been using the setidriver and command line based client since. Heres a page on the downloads and a quick comparaision on the screen saver and the CLI.

www.wwsetiteam.com...

I currently do not belong to any group or club or what ever you want to call it. I may join ATS's, I will join if i can get some points to get into the 3500 point requirement section. With my amount of hours/WU's I would think I'd get a whole lot of points, no?

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by d1k]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Command Line Client actualy only has about 1-15% overhead to the screensaver if its running all the time, depending on your graphics hardware.

The thing where the screensaver looses time is that whenever your working on the computer, the screen saver isn't, like this, your idle cycles while doing something on the computer(even if its just surfing the net) aren't used by seti.

I myself use a network setup for seti with Seti_Service, Multi Seti Monitor and SetiQue for work unit queing.

Its been suggested before to implement a points per WU system, but I don't know if this is really that fair.
Not everyone(very few people even) have access to many computers to crunch on. Would be nice though to get points anyways, but I don't think it would be really fair.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
We would love to have you D1K, but it looks like points-for-work-units is not going to happen in this phase of the SETI program. Here is a link to the most recent posts in the discussion. Currently we are push to get as many active members a possible just go make a great team showing in the next month or so before v1 SETI ends and BOINC takes over. By encouragement and active recruiting we have postitioned ourselves to make the top 600 global teams. Your huge point tally would certainly move us up a few notches.

I hope you will consider joining even without the ATS point incentive. Good luck!

d1k

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I hope I didnt come off as too much of a jerk for wanting points but I really want to get into the sections where it requires a certain amount of points to enter

I think I will join even without points

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
I hope I didnt come off as too much of a jerk for wanting points but I really want to get into the sections where it requires a certain amount of points to enter

Hehe, well, you'll never know if you never try I'd say.

Although I do think a point per unit system could be implemented in the future, I doubt it'll happen now, with Seti v1 nearing its end. More likely for this system to become a reality when BOINC goes live.

Trust me on the folowing though, getting 3500 ATS points isn't that much work or posting. When you contribute good material and discussion to the community, you get rewarded with nice amounts of bonus points from time to time. Totaly out of the blue and very surprising.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I believe it's fair to recieve points for work your computer has done for the team. It's not really important, but would certianly serve as an incentive for people to join and in turn the team gains points. It would keep people crunching when the normally wouldn't.

There are those that would rake in insane amounts of points, but IMO they deserve them and earned them by dedicating their resources to the group effort.

Like I said earlier, they (points) are not really important. Hell, people might not feel the need to post worthless comments in attempts to get points.

I'm gonna crunch (on the boinc side) regardless if we get points or not, but it sure would IMO up pertisipation (sp?) if people got something out of it, even if it's a (basicly worthless) board point. I guarentee that all (well, alot) of those names at the bottom with zeros would start turning some numbers.

Anyway, even if we don't get points, the more ya crunch, the better chance you have of being the one to process the WU that turns out to be a msg from another world. Chances are slim to none, but there is that chance.

Thats just my take on it

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

Hi d1k!!

Well, it would be *great* to have you join and help ATS SETI@home team achieve as high a position in the Global teams list as we can!!
We are likely to "overtake" Art Bell's team *today* - and may have alrweady done so, according to SETI@work

As SETI@home stats will be archived when the programme is finally superseded by BOINC (which I'm sure we "regular crunchers" will go on to do!!), we're trying to ensure that we reach as high a position in the "charts" before we lose the opportunity - it will be kudos to us, and to ATS itself, of course!!

So, irrespective of "PFWU's", (which pantha's chat with SO still says is viable (via Spectre's link above), let's really try to get to 150kWU's and put ATS "on the map"!!

d1k

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Ok you sold me, I'm in as of now currently ranked 7th.

If that seti@work link in your reply is accurate my stats should sky rocket you past coast to coast and more. *waits for it to update*

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by d1k]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
A good decision and one you won't regret. The will reflect well on ATS in a number of ways.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Ok you sold me, I'm in as of now currently ranked 7th.

If that seti@work link in your reply is accurate my stats should sky rocket you past coast to coast and more. *waits for it to update*

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by d1k]

Hi d1k!!

Very many thanx for joining the ATS team and for the "gift" of the WU's (which, of course, remain yours!!)

Yes, the next update of SETI@work - and our own team stats (reached from the signature, in case people don't know?) - will prove very interesting reading!!

Thanx again d1k - much appreciated!!

d1k

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Lol, well we just left Coast to Coast in the dust. Now we're taking on the likes of U of C and BYU

Am I wrong or is "UT Libraries Access & Delivery Services" a new user to ATS's group? If he's knew theres 8000+ more WU's

d1k

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well I have just hit 6700 WU's and still going. I'm going to pull BOINC off of the machines I put it on and go back to the SETI classic CLI. BOINC is so screwed up right now it's not even funny, not even worth trying to do the work it's down so much. Back to 100% SETI classic for me.

d1k

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Going on 8000 WU's now
But I'm back to 7th position due to new recurits with lots o WU lol

top topics

join