It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Franken Double-Dares Coburn On Public Option

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
airamerica.com

As we reported earlier this week, Senators Tom Coburn (R-Okla) and David Vitter (R-La) have cleverly upped the ante in the health care standoff by challenging members of Congress to sign onto the proposed public option health care plan. Their assumption being that, since socialized medicine is so plainly evil, no lawmaker would have the audacity to inflict such a horror upon themselves. Though some conservatives might see this as a chance to bemoan the perils of government-sponsored health coverage, Dan Carter noted that "by the time the new health care proposal is in full effect around 2013, Coburn will be 65 and--you guessed it--basking in the warm glow of a government run, publicly funded plan called Medicare." A perfect example of a seamless transition to a public health plan.

On Friday, Sen. Al Franken said he was willing to take Coburn up on his offer. NewsOK reports:

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., said in a speech on the Senate floor that he wants to join Coburn’s effort to force senators to join any public plan created by Congress.

"I will have no problem at all enrolling in this plan,” Franken said. He said he recently told his wife that they should enroll in a public plan if Congress creates one and that she wholeheartedly agreed.

"So, yeah, I’m perfectly serious about this,” Franken said.

Will Coburn show he's every bit as serious as his colleagues across the aisle and walk the talk on health reform? By the time the final vote is cast, we'll know who was bluffing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Conservatives have been saying that Congress won't accept a public option for themselves, so now they can put their money where their mouth is.

Actually, what Congress (and all federal employees) now get is a choice of different health care plans and options, which can be tailored to the needs and pockets of the individuals and their families. If you work for the fed you already get good health care. I'm assuming that all citizens will get a similar array of options, both public and private, under the proposed new health care reform.

I hope lots of Senators join Franken in signing on. That would prove their confidence in the public option.

Glad Franken is taking Coburn up on this, though.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
At first, I figured that there was no way Congress would accept the same health care plan they want to force on us. Then it occured to me that they just might. It would give Republicans an excuse to vote for the legislation, and they can always change back to the cushy plan they have now at a later date when no one is paying attention. All they have to do is get a foot in the door with this health care "reform". In a few years, it will turn out worse than you can possibly imagine. Any promise they make now will be broken later.

new topics

join