It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Orlando McDonalds Manager To A Trans Applicant: "We Do Not Hire F**gots"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
An Orlando McDonalds Manager To A Trans Applicant: "We Do Not Hire F**gots"

www.pamshouseblend.com...

I'm always a little amazed by blatant discrimination against anyone, especially if it's easily documented. The Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) is filing a complaint (lawsuit) today (December 7th, 2009) with the Florida Commission on Human Relations. It's due to an Orlando McDonalds' restaurant refusing to hire 17-year-old Zikerria Bellamy -- specifically because she is transgender. And, in the process of discriminating against her, she received a voicemail message from one of the McDonalds' managers, complete with an antigay pejorative:

As a small business owner, I want to be able to hire/fire or not hire anyone I want for any reason I deem appropriate. I pay the bills, taxes, workmans comp, rent, permit fees, salarys and everything else to keep my business running.

But I certainly have enough sense not to demean, berate or rag on a potential employee and open myself up for all kinds of grief. I hope Ms/Mr
Bellamy sues the McD, so that she won't have to wait on mooks.

I'm bettin the big dogs at that McDonalds franchise are now looking for another manager besides a counter person.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why would anyone even do something like that?

As far as Im concerned, you hire the best person for the job, regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A sad, sad world we live in isn't it?

This man will loose his job and Mcdonald's will probably settle this thing out of court.

I too am a business owner and although I reserve to right to hire or fire people I would NEVER do so on this basis.

Purely disgusting..

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Geez.
Thats a little harsh huh?
Mickey D's are franchises, maybe the franchise owner is okay with that kind of behavior....

I wouldve hit the guy.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I don't see why this is so bad. I for one believe in personal freedom and all that, but being gay is unnatural. I also believe that if a person personally owns a business, they should be able to disclude anyone they want for any reason. It's all about rights, and I should have the right to not hire a person because of their sexual orientation.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This moron actually left a voice mail? Micky D's takes image seriously. He's going to be out of work, probably is already. Good luck with that reference for your resume numb ......

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

With all respect, I dont think it said the person was gay, just transgendered. But thats just details.

*Shrug*
I would argue with the "natural" aspects of homosexuality, but thats not what this thread is about. Its about injustice, not biology.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld

I don't see why this is so bad. I for one believe in personal freedom and all that, but being gay is unnatural. I also believe that if a person personally owns a business, they should be able to disclude anyone they want for any reason. It's all about rights, and I should have the right to not hire a person because of their sexual orientation.

Actually no. That's your opinion. Transgender is not gay my friend. Look up the term.

And the EMPLOYEE has rights not the employer. You can't say NO to a person because of his gender, race, religion etc. Those are rights protected under law.

This is VERY wrong and if you don't see that well...wow. That's really all I can say.

How would sexual orientation affect that persons performance at the work place? Other than making your uncomfortable, which is your problem, not theirs.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Are you a fundamentalist or deeply religious by any chance, its that gay remark that gves it away?

Yes, you should be allowed to hire whoever you want, but why does the manager have to ring up and abuse the poor kid? That was totally uncalled for. A simple "you're not the kind iof person we are looking for" wouldve sufficed, but instead the moron decided that abuse was the way to go....how can someone think that is ok?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Nope, I don't think head office is going to be happy:

Perhaps the single most important thing to consider in a McDonald's career is the role you play in the community. After all, the people you know, meet, serve, hire, or greet are all part of it. Over many years, millions of people have frequented McDonald's because it's a trusted name with proven service. Giving back to the community–both local and global–is our way of returning that loyalty. We take our social responsibilities as seriously as we take our successes. Here are just some of the ways we do what we do.

www.mcdonalds.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is appalling. Maybe McD's should screen their employee's a little better before they hire. Might save on some law suits, which probably should happen in this case. Don't they even know who they are hiring? This man is not fit to be in a position that meets the public.

It's very cruel, what he said.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You know on second thought, this might be good for the kid.

He probably won't need a job once Mcdonald's settles out of court. I see 6 figures in that kids future.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

He probably won't need a job once Mcdonald's settles out of court. I see 6 figures in that kids future.

And then McD's spends millions on sensitivity training. Yup, could be a silver lining in this episode.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Ah, good point.

After that they will probably have to send others to counselling or training to make sure this never happens again too

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

In the real world, its far harder for some people to live, than what you people say here.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

No, I happen to be a deist. I say that homosexuality is unnatural because two men are not meant to be together. I pull his conclusion from the fact that a man and a man cannot reproduce. That is all.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Why, why, why would somebody do this in this day and age? I mean, it's horrible that a person can be so prejudiced, but anybody with a brain and the tiniest little inkling of common sense should know not to say things like this! It really never fails to amaze me how stupid people can be.

I hope this kid sues for millions and wins!

And kingoftheworld... I'm glad you aren't king of the world. I wouldn't want to live on your kind of planet.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

reply to post by OzWeatherman

No, I happen to be a deist. I say that homosexuality is unnatural because two men are not meant to be together. I pull his conclusion from the fact that a man and a man cannot reproduce. That is all.

Ok, thats fine

But does that give you the right to call up someone tell them they dont have the job and abuse them?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Some men and woman can't reproduce due to infertility. I don't see what you are getting at. In any case, i agree this will get settled out of court and a big fat cheque will be heading this persons way. Pretty sad in this day and age but not exactly surprising.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

And then McD's spends millions on sensitivity training. Yup, could be a silver lining in this episode.

Before I opened my business, I worked as a regional Manager for Mcdonalds here in Canada and yes, they will retrain that whole staff.

We had a similar incident with a mentally disabled person at one of my restaurants and they sued, settled out of court for a little over a million and we shut down that location afterwards after the papers got wind of it.

Nobody wants to eat at a restaurant which encourages discrimination..

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join