It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists, lawyers mull effects of home robots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Scientists, lawyers mull effects of home robots

www.usatoday.com

PALO ALTO, Calif. — Eric Horvitz illustrates the potential dilemmas of living with robots by telling the story of how he once got stuck in an elevator at Stanford Hospital with a droid the size of a washing machine.
"I remembered thinking, 'Whoa, this is scary,' as it whirled around, almost knocking me down," the Microsoft researcher recalled. "Then, I thought, 'What if I were a patient?' There could be big issues here."

We're still far from the sci-fi dream of having robots whirring about and catering to our every need. But little by little, we'll be sharing more of our space
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
content.usatoday.com

www.auburn.edu...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

[edit on 7-12-2009 by PapaKrok]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The subject of robotic assistance in personal life is not without some emerging concerns in the legal arena. I wonder if this will open a new field of robot-law or if these types of incidents could possibly be covered under existing law? Hmmmm, Asimov might find this interesting.

What happens when they reach a degree of autonomy and may actually qualify for a lawyer of their own? Now that would be interesting, indeed.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join