It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People type with just thoughts at or near 100% accuracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I found this story pretty interesting and foretelling of things to come.

Basically, scientists have actually implanted electrodes into a human brain instead of on the skalp. The idea being that the skull distorts the signals emanating from the brain...

He suggests over 2 million people in the US could benefit from this technology via "... assistive devices controlled by a brain-computer interface"

Researchers have recently employed brain scans to see numbers and maybe even pull videos from inside people's heads.
Source: www.livescience.com...

Makes you wonder what the future holds if they can start pulling videos from your head.

Albeit, a wonderful tool for people who need it for "assistive devices", I wonder of the possible mis-uses for such a thing...

I imagine eventually they will be able to amplify and focus the signal without the need for drilling holes into your skull... I wonder how far they have researched that possibility, hopefully fully before they started drilling holes... I'm sure...

Maybe one day someone will be able to point a Unidirectional microphone at your head and read your thoughts... a little scary... or worse... some funky satellite scanning the surface of the planet, computers cataloging everything... ack... now I'm getting paranoid...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Isnt this on an episode of "Fringe"?

Im with you. While strangely fascinating, its also a little bit frightening. The idea that someone could read your brain patterns externally is creepy as hell.
It would be interesting to tap into the minds of serial killers, and perhaps understand their thought-converted-to action processes.

On a lighter note, does this mean I could post my video memories to youtube?
"Braintube.com, your uploaded thoughts!"

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I love reading stuff like this -- Our future will shine bright despite what ATSMEMs think
This is so cool! Handicapped persons and techies rejoice!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'omino
I love reading stuff like this -- Our future will shine bright despite what ATSMEMs think
exactly this means dumb or is it mute any way people who cant speak will be able to speak.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

It would be interesting to tap into the minds of serial killers, and perhaps understand their thought-converted-to action processes.

On a lighter note, does this mean I could post my video memories to youtube?
"Braintube.com, your uploaded thoughts!"

Yes the psychological possibilities are, I'll say it, mind boggling...

No need for torture, just drill a couple of holes and retrieve the info. Futuristic-ally speaking... Polygraph tests... old school now....
I recently read where "brain scans" were admitted into court for evidence on a murder case.... (didn't read further, so can't elaborate)

Posting your videos sounds so cool... The 1st person perspective.would be awesome. The spectrum of experiences would be fascinating to see. Real life TV, eat your heart out....

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Yes I agree. Imagine being trapped in your body, unable to communicate with the outside world. This could really enhance their quality of life.

Another scary side to this type of technology is hackers. Although, in the scenario above, the advantages far outweigh the risks IMO. I still hope the 'cyber-scientists' are taking the necessary precautions and at least installing "firewalls".

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by batch

exactly this means dumb or is it mute any way people who cant speak will be able to speak.

Yes exactly, and so much more. Prosthetic Arm's. Legs manipulation. It could really open a lot of doors for some people. Or on the covert side, reading the mind, or even perhaps influencing it....

Still, a step in the right direction I'd say. As long as the Military of Defense doesn't seize hold of it....

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

Maybe one day someone will be able to point a Unidirectional microphone at your head and read your thoughts... a little scary... or worse... some funky satellite scanning the surface of the planet, computers cataloging everything... ack... now I'm getting paranoid...

Hmm, tin foil hat not looking bad now huh?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

You beat me to the tin foil hat joke! How disappointing.

If there were external devices reading thoughts...in all seriousness, wouldnt there be some way to shield it? Tin foil hat style?

I think I need to make a patent on this now. If only to show my friends, "look what I have a patent for".

This also reminds me of the movie "Strange Days". They record memories, and trade them or sell them, i.e.: guy robs bank, records it, then you take the tape home and watch it.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Jeah, I was scrambling to get it out there.

Also I was thinking about that movie to, cool movie.

They say great minds think alike.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Great minds DO think alike!

I wonder what the images/info gleaned from this type of research would be like, if drugs were involved. Like a controlled amount of '___'?
Or is it more like a hard drive? Like you can see the information, but it doesnt matter what computer you use to see it.

Would perception change the info?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Great minds DO think alike!

I wonder what the images/info gleaned from this type of research would be like, if drugs were involved. Like a controlled amount of '___'?
Or is it more like a hard drive? Like you can see the information, but it doesnt matter what computer you use to see it.

Would perception change the info?

As I understand it, it works like speech recognition. You have to train the software first to match your brain patterns with a specific number. These brain patterns would vary from individual to individual. The trick is to match your specific brain pattern with each number. Kinda like a rosetta stone...

So, initially, it needs the training.

The article mentioned the possibility of snatching videos from your mind. I imagine a '___' induced mind would add a new level of complexity.. It would be like talking to your speech recognition software while agitated or drunk and slurring your words... It just wouldn't recognize the message being transmitted.

But the video might make interesting footage on youtube... Walls melting, fingers growing... trails...

Re: Strange Days.... I was trying to remember the name of that show. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Hmm, tin foil hat not looking bad now huh?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.... Stitch some tin foil in my baseball ca...... Hey wait a minute... Are you reading our minds?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yes I am, right now as I'm typing.

My god, you're one warped individual!

The humanity of it!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I wonder what the latency is at.

I type at @ 176 wpm in DVORAK (only a paltry 78 wpm in QWERTY) and still that isn't fast enough to keep up with the thoughts in my head.

A technology such as this would be a boon to me. To be able to input texts into e-text just by reading it instead of manual entry or scanning is amazing. To be able to write volumes in the span of a few days instead of weeks is phenomenal.

I can only imagine how this would open up worlds for others who have disabilities and cannot type (or those unskilled at touch-typing)!

I agree with the OP though that being able to capture images and movies from one's mind would open up doors to whole new worlds as well. It would redefine the Entertainment Industry. I can only imagine what movies lay in the minds of people like Del Toro which will never see the light of day because they would be too time consuming and cost prohibitive to make the old fashioned way!

However, with all things technological, they are a proverbial Pandora's Box. For every benefit that they promise, there exists a hidden potential for grave abuses. It is not a matter of will it be abused, but a matter of when. Unfortunately technology evolves too quick for us to ponder the morality behind it, and judiciously weigh the benefits against the potential abuse and harm, or ensure safe-guards to prevent it from being abused. This tech, in particular, is one of those that could be misused and abused most gravely.

Still, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to use this, and find myself eagerly awaiting it.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
I wonder what the latency is at.

Yes, I wondered about that myself. I was initially going to say I suspected it would be slow... but as I typed the sentence, I realized... If it can read as fast as my mind can tell my finger which key to hit on a keyboard... It might be just as fast or faster. Which sounds really amazing!

this approach is more localized and can potentially provide a faster communication rate.

Unfortunately, I don't know what communication rate he is comparing it to, I think external eeg's.

But, yeah, just like speech recognition, I'm sure it will just get better & better, or more appropriately... faster & faster...

A technology such as this would be a boon to me. To be able to input texts into e-text just by reading it instead of manual entry or scanning is amazing. To be able to write volumes in the span of a few days instead of weeks is phenomenal.

I had not thought of that. A means of dictation straight from your mind... Simple, but powerful... I like it. I wonder what would happen if you started day dreaming in the middle.... And a paragraph about a big beautiful voluptuous blond suddenly appears.... Yeah, great for dictation, but you would still have to proof read it...

However, with all things technological, they are a proverbial Pandora's Box. For every benefit that they promise, there exists a hidden potential for grave abuses. It is not a matter of will it be abused, but a matter of when. Unfortunately technology evolves too quick for us to ponder the morality behind it, and judiciously weigh the benefits against the potential abuse and harm, or ensure safe-guards to prevent it from being abused. This tech, in particular, is one of those that could be misused and abused most gravely.

Still, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to use this, and find myself eagerly awaiting it.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the feedback!

new topics

top topics

join