It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Would Require President, Cabinet, Staff To Enroll In Public Option

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

You all actually think it matters if the president is enrolled?

[edit on 7-12-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

Just the President? No.
All of Congress, his Cabinet, staff, and any and all government employees? YES.

When all of the politicans' own health is at risk, I think they will look at some of these proposals a little differently. And if they don't, that's fine because then they will be forced to also put up with it. What's good for the goose and all....

Frankly, I really don't see how the Republicans' request can be denied. At least not with some major egg on their face. How on Earth are all or some of the Democrats going to stand up and say: "We support this! This is what Americans need! This is healthcare's saving grace! By the way -- let me know how it goes because I'm not going to participate!"

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by rusethorcain

For starters, it's currently optional. I say it should be mandatory participation.

Second, I am opposed to most of what's in the healthcare reform bill anyway. They messed up Medicare and Medicaid -- I really don't even understand why we are giving them another go with even more money and more at stake.

I live in Florida where half the residents are on one or the other of those programs. The old folks love them. They are not messed up. These elderly people are very happy with the quality of care and the free health services they receive.
They are screaming now because Republicans (Big Pharma) is funding ads to say their programs will be changed.
Indeed. They will be more efficient so money consequently saved may be used elsewhere. This is twisted to say..."They are going to take money from your Medicare!"
These are repulsive guerrilla tactics..but hey, if the shoe fits...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Ummm....they are taking funds from Medicare. Sorry, the Republicans are correct in their ads. Although they probably exaggerate the ramifications of such a cut in funds, the reality is that the Democrats are cutting Medicare money.

Dems shoot down GOP amendment to restore Medicare funding
By Walter Alarkon - 12/05/09 04:57 PM ET
Democrats held fast Saturday against another Republican attempt to restore funding for a Medicare program facing cuts in the Senate healthcare bill.

Republicans have sought to portray the approximately $460 billion worth of Medicare cuts in the healthcare bill as evidence that the Democrats' plans will put seniors' healthcare at risk.

"What will happen is that these programs will disappear because they'll go in the red because of the cuts these Democrats are proposing," said Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.), the sponsor of the amendment that was rejected Saturday.

On Thursday, Republicans offered an amendment blocking all proposed Medicare cuts, but it failed on a largely party-line vote.

Democrats have pushed back against the GOP strategy by noting that the AARP supports the Medicare reductions, which will help pay for the rest of the healthcare reform legislation. Democrats accused Republicans on Saturday of standing in the way of healthcare proposals that will help all Americans, including seniors.

thehill.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
I live in Florida where half the residents are on one or the other of those programs. The old folks love them. They are not messed up. These elderly people are very happy with the quality of care and the free health services they receive.
They are screaming now because Republicans (Big Pharma) is funding ads to say their programs will be changed.
Indeed. They will be more efficient so money consequently saved may be used elsewhere. This is twisted to say..."They are going to take money from your Medicare!"
These are repulsive guerrilla tactics..but hey, if the shoe fits...

See above post. They are taking money from medicare.

Also, I know several people that left Florida because the quality of healthcare was so poor that they moved to, according to them, "save their life".

Perhaps not all Floridians are as happy as you seem to think.

The people that relocated originally lived in the Northeast, retired and went to Florida, and are now back up north going to the doctor. Their ailments range from cancer, heart disease, kidney disease (requiring dialysis), and Crohns.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Oh hell no, this ain't gonna happen.

Have any of you seen the medical facilities these people have free access to?

They have no concept of what life is like for the people of this nation, yet they know what is best for us?

There is no way in hell they will give it up to endure the system of health care they are attempting to force upon us.

They do know how bad it is going to be, that is exactly why they are exempt from ANY of the health care legislation that they are pushing.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
Oh hell no, this ain't gonna happen.

Have any of you seen the medical facilities these people have free access to?

They have no concept of what life is like for the people of this nation, yet they know what is best for us?

There is no way in hell they will give it up to endure the system of health care they are attempting to force upon us.

They do know how bad it is going to be, that is exactly why they are exempt from ANY of the health care legislation that they are pushing.

You are, sadly, absolutely correct.

I still can't figure out how this healthcare reform is still even alive once the politicians themselves said they would not be participating during the town halls over the summer.

Hypocrisy is so blatant in government today that they have even stopped trying to hide it.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by lpowell0627

What then is the Federal Employee Government Health Benefits Program if not a public funded option? It is a government run health care plan already in place, and no one is complaining about it.
They already are using the health plan my tax dollars pay for.

Exactly!

This is nothing but a demagoguery campaign by GOP, who hope that population isn't educated enough to recognize that bluff as such. Judging by some post, they just might succeed.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

What then is the Federal Employee Government Health Benefits Program if not a public funded option? It is a government run health care plan already in place, and no one is complaining about it.
They already are using the health plan my tax dollars pay for.

Exactly!

This is nothing but a demagoguery campaign by GOP, who hope that population isn't educated enough to recognize that bluff as such. Judging by some post, they just might succeed.

My mother is on Medicare and she would certainly disagree with you about how wonderful it is. Further, she received an increase in her Medicare premiums this year (for 2010) -- by almost 25%.

Can you please explain why, if Medicare and Medicaid -- government-run programs -- are so successful, we need YET ANOTHER government-run program?

Lastly, the point of the thread is to really ask this question:

If this new and improved government-run public option for healthcare is so wonderful -- why isn't Congress, the President, his Cabinet, staff, and others committed to participating?

That's all the Republicans are asking for. And frankly it seems to be a rather legitimate question.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Q. Can you please explain why, if Medicare and Medicaid -- government-run programs -- are so successful, we need YET ANOTHER government-run program?

A. We don't. We need to expand what we have so that it covers me.

Before you ask...of course I have a job.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by rusethorcain]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

"Hypocrisy is so blatant in government today that they have even stopped trying to hide it " lpowell

With this... I agree.

Why haven't House Dems and the President committed to this?...I am not saying they will but heck lowell -the idea was just proposed a couple of days ago...give them a chance to respond.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join