It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Would Require President, Cabinet, Staff To Enroll In Public Option

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

GOP Would Require President, Cabinet, Staff To Enroll In Public Option

www.huffingtonpost.com

Senate Republicans opposed to a public health-insurance option intend to introduce an amendment Monday that would require not just members of Congress to enroll in any such plan -- but also the president, vice president, cabinet officials and all political staff.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I support this 100%!

If the public-option is so wonderful, and if this is the greatest thing to ever happen to healthcare in the United States, than I say that with the passing of healthcare reform that includes a public-option, the very first people to sign-up should be every single member of the entire US Government.

I can guarantee you one thing: If the very people responsible for passing such legislation are actually made to participate in such legislation, rather than just sitting by and watching what's "good" for the rest of us, than we have at least a small chance of it actually being a decently run program that accomplishes something other than growing government and costing trillions of dollars. And, yes, I realize the actual bill is somewhere around $890 billion or so, but by the time you add up all of the meetings, travel, propaganda, etc. -- you're over a trillion easily.

If, instead, it is only designed to serve the rest of us, this program will have more problems and holes in it than the meeting in Copenhagen.

I've never understood why any members of government that receive benefits wouldn't automatically be converted to the new government-run program. Yes, including our President and his family.

This is their program. Let them support it with their own healthcare on the line.

Would you own Microsoft and use an Apple?

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
AMEN!!! Let's take it a step further - EVERY politician is forced to enroll their children in the public schools within the district they live or represent!

I am for this 100%!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
On the surface, this is a fantastic idea. However, The Congressional Budget Office reports that premiiums, under the "public option", will be higher than private insurance. See this thread:

CBO Says Public Option Premiums Will Be More Than Private

So, either way, we the taxpayer will be screwed.....................again.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I hope the Democrats call their bluff again. That was one of the most humorous things I saw coming out of Washington in a long while.

The Republicans simply didn't consider the fact that many of the health care supporters actually believe in the bill and would be willing to go to the public option. They may be shocked again.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
While we are on the general topic it would also be interesting to see how many politicans take their children to a public school. If they had the use the government provided services it might given incentive to improve them but given the realities of a finite budget and that deficit spending is unsustainable this might not be a good idea.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I support this 100%!

Me too. Perhaps i over looked if this is answered in there - but if they do get their amendment - does that mean that they'll support UHC? Or is this just a political stunt that has potential to backfire in their face in a big, big way?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
I hope the Democrats call their bluff again. That was one of the most humorous things I saw coming out of Washington in a long while.

The Republicans simply didn't consider the fact that many of the health care supporters actually believe in the bill and would be willing to go to the public option. They may be shocked again.

This may be true, but not always- those on the left tend to more loyal to ideas than reality

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

AMEN!!! Let's take it a step further - EVERY politician is forced to enroll their children in the public schools within the district they live or represent!

Why public schools?

private schools are still very much an option for you, me, or anyone else here.

Public schools are an alternative to those who can't afford private.

And the largest reasons public schools fail is because of idiot teachers and the damn tenior crap.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Congress should be made to eat their "own cooking" with NO EXCEPTIONS. If its so great for us, then they get it too.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I agree, what's good for the goose is just as good for the gander. Never happen in a million years though, like Germany ordering the higher grade H1N1 vaccine, their will always be two classes in this world, the have and the have nots...and the have nots get a public option.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

What then is the Federal Employee Government Health Benefits Program if not a public funded option? It is a government run health care plan already in place, and no one is complaining about it.
They already are using the health plan my tax dollars pay for.

I think it is a better idea to extend THEIR HEALTH BENEFITS PROGRAM to me!

[edit on 7-12-2009 by rusethorcain]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

So true. I am hoping it is done and over with before they know what hit them. Doesn't surprise me there is infighting within the GOP Tea-Party group. These folks will eat their young.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I think that if all government employees, iincluding all levels of office, were forced to participate the premiums would be less. And the coverage better.

That's the thing -- if they have to participate, they will not screw themselves.

PS - I think that the estimate that the premiums would be higher was propaganda to convince people that the government was not going to drive private insurance companies out of business. That's just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

For starters, it's currently optional. I say it should be mandatory participation.

Second, I am opposed to most of what's in the healthcare reform bill anyway. They messed up Medicare and Medicaid -- I really don't even understand why we are giving them another go with even more money and more at stake.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamLael
Congress should be made to eat their "own cooking" with NO EXCEPTIONS. If its so great for us, then they get it too.

That's exactly the point. I just can't understand how they even have the audacity to spend millions upon millions of dollars promoting health care reform -- fighting for the public option -- displaying pictures of non-insured people dying -- etc. and then, turn around and say:

Oh, well....this is for the rest of you. We're sticking to what we have now.

I felt the same way about H1N1 vaccine -- where were all the pictures of Congress and THEIR CHILDREN rolling their sleeves up? Hmmm...must have missed that one.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
not to pee in anyone's cheerios, but what is to stop these people from having both the public option as well as private insurance, and let the public option card collect dust?

At the same time, I do think it is a good idea to ensure that politicians 'eat their own cooking' for lack of a better word.

Then again, I think that setting their pay scales and wages should be public vote as well, not through congress/house.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

I support this 100%!

Me too. Perhaps i over looked if this is answered in there - but if they do get their amendment - does that mean that they'll support UHC? Or is this just a political stunt that has potential to backfire in their face in a big, big way?

Backfire? Yes if they agree to it.

Political stunt? Yes.

You all actually think it matters if the president is enrolled?

[edit on 7-12-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

This may be true, but not always- those on the left tend to more loyal to ideas than reality

Actually, during the town halls, the one question that almost no Democrat (or Republican) could answer was:

Well, if it's so great, why are you guys exempt?

So if their response was any indication, many will CHOOSE not to participate -- which is why I think it should be mandatory. Mandatory participation will at least ensure that this doesn't become yet another wayward, ineffective, money pit.

Further, if you noticed, most politicians send their kids to private schools -- yet go on about improvements and such in the public school system.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
not to pee in anyone's cheerios, but what is to stop these people from having both the public option as well as private insurance, and let the public option card collect dust?

Well, nothing. Except then at least their money will also be thrown into the pool. Plus, can you imagine how many rag magazines and Fox News will be following them around to take pictures of them leaving doctors or hospitals that are not covered through the public option?

At the same time, I do think it is a good idea to ensure that politicians 'eat their own cooking' for lack of a better word.

Then again, I think that setting their pay scales and wages should be public vote as well, not through congress/house.

I agree with you on both accounts. I am also in favor of capping campaign finances and allowing all candidates, chosen by primaries, to be allotted the same exact amount of money to run their bid for office. I think this would go a long way towards eliminating the two-party system block that we have now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join