It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the words (Oh say can you see) mean anything to anyone anymore in this country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I started this thread because I wrote a response to a different thread and it sprang up more emotion than I had expected. Was wondering if there were others our there that feeling the same thing. With Christmas coming and all the political correctness that surrounds it, the war between the advertisers trying to be fair to all religious groups. Our kids are so confused, people just want to wish someone well and there so afraid of say something that might offend, we are becoming self censoring. I don’t think that is a good thing. Our first amendment allows us the freedom of speech for heavens sake.

Crime is up; suicide is up, especially around the holidays. Charity donations are down, to an all time low including the time of the great depression. I would blame this more so on the P.C then economy. We have stripped away almost all the things that bring about a positive emotional response.

Years ago it would sadden me to see commercials such as the (children foundations) showing starving and dirty children from around the world. Now I just think screw them what about our own country of homeless and starving people. But because the emotional bond we all use to have for the flag our country and its people has been striped away, we care for nothing any more but our own selfish greed, and needs.

Well I’ll stop hear for now because I want to hear from you, and here is my original post that started this whole thing.

There is no passion left because of political correctness. When I was a boy in school we said the pledge of Allegiance to the flag every morning and we sang a morning song (God bless America) all these practices have been removed, or changed. I have served in the Army and I still tear up as it were when ever I see a parade of our military or hear our National Anthem, and stand to salute the flag we all so once loved.

Now I see even with my own kids, no expression of pride, no emotion behind the words, and most kids cant or I should say chose not to even stand still without talking through the National Anthem, I don’t know how we got to this point but I surly don’t like it, and I don’t like where we are heading in
America. Even as I write this my heart is saddened. I will till my last day pay my respect to our flag, and even if say Merry Christmas to all, until they cut my tongue out.

I love my country, our young soldiers are still fighting for this county and dieing for this country. The least we could do is show our respect for the flag that they as well as those in the past have shed there life’s blood for. May your God of choosing bless you and keep you from harm. And as always God bless our troops, where ever they may lay there head down.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I don't know of one person, not one who doesn't say Merry Christmas if they want to because of political correctness. Not one. It's a bunch of hooey to act like you are repressed by anything of the sort. It's just more political baiting.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I gotta agree with damwel on this one.

I see passion all around me. I see (and feel) lots of emotion when discussing this country and what the original documents mean to me. If your kids aren't feeling the passion that you think they should, maybe you need to instill it into them. Where else are they supposed to learn it?

No one is stopping you from saying the pledge or singing songs or saying Merry Christmas. You could do it with your kids every morning. Instead of blaming political correctness (although I DO think you have a point there), make a point of creating in your family and kids what you want to see.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree with the 2 above, my kids will and do learn what is important regardless of PC.
And I still have to hold back tears when the national anthem is sung in public.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I wasn’t trying to bait anything, I guess my point would be more to the fact that we are no longer allowed to do the things we did before because of political correctness. Yes there is passion, yes people will say Merry Christmas and yes it should be taught at home. Lets just for a minute, take the last one taught at home. Back in the day that’s how it was done and it was backed by the schools the children would attend. But now we have more single parents who have to work to try and raise there kids and the children are left to the influence of the school system and others around them.
And because of the political correctness, public schools have been changed so much that, even proven false teachings by science on evolution has to be taught in class, yet the same consideration is not given to creationism. Also because as what I referred to morning exercises, salute to the flag, god bless America and others. Being manipulated and rearranged as to not upset anyone, it first takes away the foundation of what this country was founded on. And second it causes a lesser learning environment. Our great countries teaching has come down to learning how to take a test, and not much of anything else. Mainly I understand is because of lack of funding in public education, but is that fair to deny our children an education that causes the USA to go to foreign bodies to fill jobs, just because our students haven’t been taught the skills needed to get those jobs.
Most collages of notoriety student bodies is made up of 65 percent private schooled and 30 percent home schooled, leaving a handful of public school students lucky enough to pass the entrance exam.
I agree we need to teach our kids about other cultures around the globe.
I agree we need to recognize other cultures in our schools. And we do Jewish holidays for instance is recognized and they get the days off need to celebrate there honored days.
I agree that only through education of others will we ever be able to understand them.
But bottom line we have a Law of the Land called our Constitution.
You want to come to America to practice freely any thing you chose, we welcome you but you better be here to assimilate with in our society and learn our language as I would expect to do if I was to move too your country. You can practice anything you like but better adhere to our laws that are in place to keep all safe.
Words are powerful things; they can evoke many responses, even cause emotional pain. But words will never cause you physical harm, and that is why we have the first Amendment.
But when words of violence, and threats and wishing of physical harm come into play, then these need to be dealt with quickly and harshly.
Don’t like the rules of this land move to a different land.
Our history is not being taught to our children. And is causing confusion to our young children.
Sorry for rambling, just there is so much that can be said and so many things in history that were bad choices, that the togetherness of a society has coming into its downfall.
I hope I was able to clear a few things up. But if you ask me a direct question I will do my best to answer it and find info to back it.
Thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I am glad that I am not alone; it is our passion for our country that in the end will hold us together against all enemies.
I just pray our children develop that same passion we all seam to have here.
Thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
I guess my point would be more to the fact that we are no longer allowed to do the things we did before because of political correctness.

Like what? What aren't you allowed to do?

But now we have more single parents who have to work to try and raise there kids and the children are left to the influence of the school system and others around them.

But that's not the fault of political correctness. And to be honest, school is supposed to educate our children on math, English, Science, etc. It is NOT the job of the school to teach morals and values. That's a parent's job. If teaching their children these morals ad values are a priority to parents, they will find a way. There are plenty of kids being raised with great values by a single parent who works 2 jobs. It's about priorities.

And because of the political correctness, public schools have been changed so much that, even proven false teachings by science on evolution has to be taught in class, yet the same consideration is not given to creationism.

That's not true. If you think the religious belief in creationism is more important for your kids to learn than the science of evolution, then it's your job to teach them that. My parents did. My mother did. Public, government-funded school is no place for teaching religious beliefs. It wasn't taught in my school 40 years ago and it shouldn't be taught now.

You want to come to America to practice freely any thing you chose, we welcome you but you better be here to assimilate with in our society and learn our language as I would expect to do if I was to move too your country.

This is beginning to sound like a rant on tolerance and acceptance...

I'm not sure what your point is, really. It sounds like you have a lot that you're upset about and lumping it all together under political correctness. I wonder what has happened, or what you're really upset about.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You are correct, I just don’t know myself and yes I did lump a lot under political correctness which is unfair of me to do so.
I agree religion should not be taught in our schools. It was at one time many years ago before both are times. And when they took the bible out of the classroom was our, in my opinion the biggest mistake this country ever did and I also believe it was the true start of political correctness.

But on evolution: Darwin himself from what I understand admitted he was wrong and science shows that evolution does not exist. There are things in science when I was in collage studying biology we refer to as adaptive traits. This is no sense means evolutionary change.

It is a group of people of the same beliefs gathered together in a community of those whom believe the same that brings safety and security to that community. But when a community of peace is invaded by an outside source you have two choices. 1 move, 2 bring those people into your heart and teach them your ways of peace so that all may live in the safety and security of that community.

But when people invade with a 3rd option in mind to change all those whom already occupy that area then only violence will it bring.
We open our doors to all whom wish to live in peace, if you don’t like our ways don’t come. I invite you to dinner tell you I’m serving turkey that night; you have a choice come and enjoy the meal. Or because you either don’t like what is being served or are allergic to that item you say no thank you. You don’t show up with your favorite dish and expect me to eat what you brought instead? Do you? And it is this line of thinking we have gotten away from in this country and I blame it on political correctness.

I hope that better explains where I am coming from in the simplest form I can think of.

This happened when the white man first came to my land; we taught them how to grow there crops and work the land. In return they repaid us by total take over.

It is happening again, America has opened its doors, and we teach the new comers our ways, they will take this info to better understand us in order to totally take over.

I don’t think I can handle another take over of my ancestors land. And that is what bothers me.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by drmeola]

top topics

join