It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Taze Unarmed Naked Man to Death for "Walking Toward Them'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Not a "breaking story by any means, but I do think it's important that we acknowledge the abuses of those with the power to take away your freedoms.

I'm old enough to remember when the Police were dressed in blue, a part of the community. They were the person who Parents always told their children to seek out and find if they were lost or in trouble.

They looked and acted like "The good guys".

Today, they are dressed in black with face masks, knee and elbow shells in place, carrying automatic weapons, black boots and using the Tazer as freely as they use their voice.

I am not against the Police, I am against Police abuses.

In June, [Brian Cardall] 32, was returning to Arizona after visiting Utah when he experienced a manic episode brought on by his bipolar disorder. He pulled his car to the side of the road, got out, removed his clothes, and began flagging down vehicles on State Road 59 outside Hurricane.

Cardall's wife gave him medication, called the police, informed the dispatcher of her husband's psychotic condition and the fact that it would take a while for the medicine to take effect. But Cardall ran out of time.

Just 42 seconds after Hurricane Chief of Police Lynn Excell and officer Ken Thompson arrived at the scene, Thompson claims, a confused Cardall, who refused to get on the ground as ordered, stepped toward the officers. Thompson fired his Taser, striking a naked and unarmed Cardall in the chest over the heart. When the Flagstaff resident attempted to rise, Thompson gave him a second jolt. Within minutes, Cardall was dead, one of about 350 Americans to die after a Taser deployment since 2001.

Source Article

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Rhetoric]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

You're being sarcastic, right?
I mean honestly, if you had to deal with some guy with mental health problems who had his clothes off and you were expected to bring him in?
I for one if I were in the same spot as that traffic cop, I'd use the taser immediately because I don't want to tackle a naked guy who is probably unstable and therefore unpredictable if he was having an "episode" like that.
Common sense pal, the guy was likely a threat to himself and the people around him, especially if he went so far as to get completely buttocks naked in public.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I would like to know how the OP would have subdued this individual in the middle of this psychotic episode? Letting a naked man run around in traffic is not an option as he's liable to cause an accident and hurt other(s) including himself.

+32 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The use of a taser is an alternative to using a firearm. At least that was what it's original purpose was. To those who are asking what should the officer have done to subdue the naked guy, I ask you this: 20 years ago when officers only had a pistol to use what would they have done to subdue a man in this situation? Would they have shot him? I don't think so. They would have gotten thier hands dirty and physically have subdued the man. They would have had training to do just that. I'm pretty sure that training still exists and would hope that the LEO's are still taking it. To me the taser has made these officers very lazy and unfortunatly people are dying due to said laziness.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
A crash tackle from a couple of 100kg cops could do some major damage.

Also the article clearly says that the man was walking towards them and refusing to comply with verbal commands.

Straight to the Tazer imo. This is what its for.

CT

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

No, that is not what a taser is for. The taser was introduced as a less lethal alternative to a firearm in order to cut down on fatalities. If you would not use a firearm in a situation you should not be using a taser. I'm pretty sure a broken bone or a dislocated shoulder as a result of a takedown would have been a better outcome than being killed. Maybe it's just me but I do not think an officer's life is more important than a civillians and if the officers life is not in danger than lethal force should not be used. And before the obvious reply is stated, No I do not believe that a naked guy walking towards you should be considered a threat on your life.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

From wiki page Taser
Tasers were introduced as less-lethal weapons to be used by police to subdue fleeing, belligerent, or potentially dangerous subjects, often when what they consider to be a more lethal weapon would have otherwise been used.

I would say that this man fits the description of a belligerent and potentially dangerous subject.

The problem as I see it, is that you expect too much from police officers. Why should they risk injury to themselves attempting to subdue and restrain someone who has already shown themselves to be unable or unwilling to follow instructions.

While the outcome is tragic. It doesnt mean the officer should have acted differently.

CT

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well in defense of the cops, he could have pulled a 12 gauge shotgun from his behind. You never know these days what could happen.[sarcasm]

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Equinox99]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

If youare looking for sympathy you are looking in the wrong place.

"Taser a man to death" Love the inflammatory wording.

If he got a bruise you would be screaming about abuse.

By the way. "I am not against the ploice..." and 'Now they Tazer..." shows your true colors.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

you obviously didnt read up on this. this guy was traveling with his family, and started to have some kind of "episode" his wife called the police and told them- he is unarmed and not dangerous, just a little freaked out. knowing that, would you proceed the same way? you sound sure of yourself, so instead of doing your job and helping this guy,lets just do this the easy way and taze him, so you can get back into your cruiser and continue sitting on your arse! he had no where to hide a weapon, he was not a stranger that they knew nothing about, his Dad is a prominent news caster here in Utah. he was in need of help...not trying to hurt anyone...I hope you not a cop, your decision making skills just got someone killed!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Ever here of a night stick?

I good ol'wack to the back of the head would have knocked him out.

As bad as that may sound, I think I would prefer a good clubbing as opposed to an electric shock.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
OMFG some of these posts are way out of line. The man was naked anyone but a BLIND man could see he wasnt armed. ARE you seriously telling me no officer could take him down to subdue him???????? you guys are bloody crazy. I can take any man down and subdue him if I had to, not to mention pepper spray which should have been used in the first place. Most police officers at least in the UK are trained to take people down when they are convinced enough that they are unarmed.

Seems to me the US police are letting anyone be a police officer these days and obviously not getting any police training either.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
instead of tasering him they could have call for an ambulance or to call in and make em hurry since the fellow was dripping blood from head to toes

besides if shock and trauma victims are handled this way in the u.s i dont even want to know how elderly or disabled are....

epic fail vs reality 2 - 0

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
There seems to be something seriously mentally wrong with some of you people. If he had been 81, with Alzheimers and a walking frame, you would still feel it completely ok to taser him, beat him to the ground and crack his head open, or all the other wondrous examples we have seen of policing on this forum. These two should be prosecuted for murder, it is that simple.
If police are NOT ABLE to disarm, or to get to the ground ANYONE, then they should be sent for instant training whilst having their wages suspended. If they are so terrified of ten year olds, the elderly, young girls, the unarmed and mentally unwell they should be forced out of the job instantly. After intense training, if they still choose to taser the innocent they too should be tasered mercilessly. If they die they die, because anyone who chooses to hurt the very people they are supposed to be protecting does not deserve any compassion.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

As others have mentioned, Tasers are supposed to be the alternative to deadly force. Yet in practice, it seems to be the alternative to "hey you!".

As for "bringing him in", as a psychiatric ER RN, I am totally appalled at the officers actions. First off, any idiot trained to use a taser should know a direct shot to the heart has a good chance of being lethal. And 2nd, how about freaking talking to the guy? His wife was right there (and could have been used to get through to him, as someone he trusts), and even though he was manic does not mean he was in full blown, gonna kill someone psychoses. There have actually been very few times where I have not been able to eventually reach even the most psychotic person and make some headway. And when we can't, we call for human back up and restrain them in as gentle a way as possible.

That poor man's wife. She will spend the rest of her days thinking that if she had only not called the cops, her husband would still be alive. Tasers are a deadly intervention, just not quiet as reliably as bullets, and seriously need to be treated as such. And as incident after incident have attested to, it clearly isn't. This type of thing will continue until the public makes it quite clear what is acceptable practice and what isn't, and all use is reviewed just like gun discharges are.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
To those who believe I'm looking for "sympathy", or suggest that what the police did was correct, I have to disagree, this is police abuse, plain and simple.

"Escalation of force".

Since when is it okay for a Police officer to taze somebody because they didn't listen to them? Never.

So, it's okay to taze a deaf person because he isn't listening too?

Don't be ridiculous.

There are steps of REASONABLE force that cops are supposed to use, jumping from shouting at him to tazering him is not an appropriate use of force.

Yes, the police should have physically restrained him, yes, they should have gotten a bit dirty.

The Tazer has become not a tool somewhere between shouting at a suspect and shooting him, it has become the cops LOUD voice, and that's not right.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

"Taser a man to death" Love the inflammatory wording.

I'm confused.
How is that inflammatory?

He died as a direct result of 2 Taser shocks to his chest.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I would like to know how the OP would have subdued this individual in the middle of this psychotic episode? Letting a naked man run around in traffic is not an option as he's liable to cause an accident and hurt other(s) including himself.

Killing him is obviously a far better option. Especially since he was naked, unarmed and therefore extremely dangerous.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gargamel
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

No, that is not what a taser is for. The taser was introduced as a less lethal alternative to a firearm in order to cut down on fatalities. If you would not use a firearm in a situation you should not be using a taser. I'm pretty sure a broken bone or a dislocated shoulder as a result of a takedown would have been a better outcome than being killed. Maybe it's just me but I do not think an officer's life is more important than a civillians and if the officers life is not in danger than lethal force should not be used. And before the obvious reply is stated, No I do not believe that a naked guy walking towards you should be considered a threat on your life.

No it's not only you. And besides a tazer is not meant to be used close to the heart as it is too dangerous. That policeman didn't operate the device correctly.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist

From wiki page Taser
Tasers were introduced as less-lethal weapons to be used by police to subdue fleeing, belligerent, or potentially dangerous subjects, often when what they consider to be a more lethal weapon would have otherwise been used.

I would say that this man fits the description of a belligerent and potentially dangerous subject.

Yes. He might even had hit the policeman with his d*ck. Now that's worth killing him for.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join