It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dubai Financial Nuke

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
December 14 is the day to look for. That is the day that they actually default on their loans and the process then goes to the courts for resolution.

The question for the Islamic court is, will they empty what is left of Dubai's treasury and save the infidele banking system, or will they look out for themselves and tell the infidele banks to get screwed?

One week will tell the tale, and tell us alot about the IMF and if globleization will survive.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by fatboyinternational]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

The problem with that is that a stabilized dollar or higher dollar will mean a drop in the wall street financial markets. One of the reasons the stock markets are so high is that the dollar is so low.

Its a bad situation, whichever way it goes, we loose

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fatboyinternational

I am saying both will be pushed higher breaking the trend (could happen, not saying it will). I know what you are saying though.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I dont believe trends are broken by weakness in the market. If the trend is broken look for manipulation deciede when you should get out.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I think it can, I do not know how you would manipulate the FOREX and SP500 though unless you had several billion at your disposal. I cannot quote which one but I know I have a book laying around here that states it takes about $100,000,000+ to move the SP500 1 point during peak hours.

Friday was an odd day if you follow equities and the dollar and today was another if you follow the dollar and gold/commoditiy prices. Flight to quality would be the reason, like I said I do not necessarily believe both would go higher bc of this, I said its a possibility. My only point is to the OP that US Banks were not really hurt by this, and it was mainly on Euro's

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm poor and don't give a damn about the rich and mean
who are messing up this planet

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

AIG, How many billions have they insured the European banks for? What about GE or Boeing or hundreds of US companies that have ties to Europe's banks.

What about the US banks such as Citi Bank that invested heavily in Dubai, hiding the audit trail by going through European banks, Thinking that this would make them healthy again.

Remember what happened when Thailand's currency collapsed in 1998, and every one brushed it off as being insignificant, and it ended up causing, at least in part the collapse of Japan and other countrys.

The greed never ends and hope seems never to be lost. I applaud you for your optimisum, but that wont pay the bills or feed your family. You just get to feel better about it as you gather arround the fire.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Disregarding everything we have just said.

Do you think that the big money players that know exactly where everyone stands would just be sitting on their hands right now if they knew something was up?

I really really really really doubt it, thats why I do not care, plus from everything I have heard this landed mostly on RBS.

Other than that, among other things, like we both know anything is possible.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

I do not know how you would manipulate the FOREX and SP500 though unless you had several billion at your disposal.

Actually it's not that difficult and the Fed did it the day after the crash in '87. All they do is walk into the futures market and buy the hell out of the near month S&P contract so it pushes the futures contract to a premium over the underlying basket of stocks. When that occurs, institutions will sell the contract and buy the basket of stocks sucking prices upward.

If they wanted to manipulate the market to the downside the Fed would simply do the opposite.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Yeah, that was during a crisis in 87. This is not that, and I still would not totally call that "manipulation" as there was a chance for them to still lose money on the situation.

Like I said, it would take several billion as well as about 100000 other factors involved. And you can buy futures contracts sure, but during this day of program/algorithmic arbitrage it would be very difficult to continue to straight manipulate.. still too many factors regarding manipulation - but this is off topic.

Btw, you can only purchase futures contracts for the quarter you are in. Examples

a)ESH9

b)ESM9

c)ESU9

d)ESZ9 (currently in)

You cannot purchase ESZ0 right now even if you wanted to.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Remember back in the early 1900's when we crashed I believe it was JP Morgan himself that went on the floor and started to purchase everything in sight. The mkt rebounded for 2 days (or 1 cant remember) then went straight back to selling off.

All the money in the world cannot stop a slide sometimes, only put a bandaid on a leak the size of the hoover dam. Especially now man with all the arbitrage being done with so much money - to coordinate something like this prob even takes more than several billion - not to mention how are you going to get away with it if it is not traded in a dark pool or something..

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The second effective method for the Fed to manipulate the market is for somebody like Bernanke to open his mouth and make a choice comment.

For example, that he sees underlying strength in the economy and thinks interest rates will have to rise very soon.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

That is usually done in the FOMC minutes, but what he says goes. That though is def not manipulation, that is economic policy

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

reply to post by leo123

That is usually done in the FOMC minutes, but what he says goes. That though is def not manipulation, that is economic policy

How is it not manipulation if he makes a comments specifically designed to move a market in the direction he wants?

Of course it would be manipulation.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

No, thats like saying everytime the FOMC decides to do something it is manipulating. Manipulating involves (from where I am looking at it from) nefarious reasons, this is just policy.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

reply to post by leo123

No, thats like saying everytime the FOMC decides to do something it is manipulating. Manipulating involves (from where I am looking at it from) nefarious reasons, this is just policy.

Hi there.

IMO they are one of the same ....

My 2 bits. :>

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Wow, what a difference a day makes. The dollar is going higher pushing both gold and the markets lower. So much for speculation.

The pundits are saying that the gold bubble is about to burst, pushing the dollar higher. I have another specutlative reason for the swing. All that money and no-where to go.

What if the bond holders are abandoning their bond positions, trying to position themselves for the December 14th date when Dubai actually defaults on their bonds. Doing this in order to protect their funds from the Islamic courts. The money has to go somewhere and it looks like its going into the Dollar. Pushing everything else lower. What will Bernake do now?

One way to manipulate the markets would be to create a gold bubble that would hide what is actually happening in plain sight. The pundits all fall in line and create a discussion about something that just cant exist. The market remains reletively stable, and we are all saved. At least until the truth comes out.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by fatboyinternational]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join