It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(NASA) Newly Discovered Asteroid VA Near Misses Earth on November 6th, 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Asteroid VA 2009 was only discovered 15 hours before its close approach to the Earth. Asteroid VA passed within 2 Earth Radii around 16:00 EST on November 6th, 2009.

geology.com...

[edit on 6-12-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
WOW. discovered only 15 hours before?
that's a bit alarming. wonder if any amateur astronomy buffs caught any footage?
wow.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

This is the third-closest known (non-impacting) Earth approach on record for a cataloged asteroid. The two closer approaches include the 1-meter sized asteroid 2008 TS26, which passed within 6,150 km of the Earth's surface on October 9, 2008, and the 7-meter sized asteroid 2004 FU162 that passed within 6,535 km on March 31, 2004. On average, objects the size of 2009 VA pass this close about twice per year and impact Earth about once every 5 years.

Impact once every 5 years?
Where?
When?

I'm guessing, due to the fact that I'm writing this post right now, that they don't do much damage?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

im guessing most of these burn up on entering our atmosphere. even at this size.

then again, what do i know.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
We'll see more of these meteors as the solar system is coming closer to the Dark Rift. I wish they would call it the Light Rift, it sounds more calming, more gentle, only with a bit more blasts of radiation and cosmic rays, with rocks thrown down at us. That's Mother Earth going to the Spa.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

is this dark rift true? ive read some posts about us moving into this so called zone, but is there evidence of it?

if so, it could be a bumpy ride for a while

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It was only a 7 meter asteroid. What would have impacted would have left a very small hole. The biggest part of it would have burned up travelling through the atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
You can keep an eye on Near-Earth Object on this page:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

the Close Approaches page
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

There is a 770 m - 1.7 km asteroid that passes us very close in february 9th 2010

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This sort of thing happens all the time.

It's not at all uncommon for NEO's to be discovered AFTER they pass earth and are moving away.

new topics

top topics

join