It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 18th Birthday is in 4 days!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm worried about my future. All of my friends seem to know exactly what they're doing and where they're going after they graduate. I haven't got much farther than, "I'm going to college."

And now that I'm in the middle of my senior year, I'm thinking about everything I should have done, and about how I should have studied harder and made better grades. I shouldn't have been so apathetic.
But I'm going to have to do the best with what I have, and hope everything works out, but I'm still worried.

Not to mention that after I get out college all I'm going to be doing is working so I can live. Working so I can feed my family, pay the bills, etc. It seems to me that all life is just laboring so others can benefit and you can live.

And this is all assuming we don't explode on 2012.

:bnghd:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

Haha.

I laugh only because I'm a few years older than you and still haven't a clue what I'm doing.

One thing I would say though is this; when it come to your education, don't screw it up!

I often sit in bemused anger at how much better I could have done and could be doing as far as my studies are concerned.

Get involved in anything and everything (within reason of course) and never say never.

Whenever I feel a little down I remind myself how lucky I am to be ALIVE!

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway."

Keep on keepin' on.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Relax.

Take life one day and one goal at a time.

Don't feel forced into decisions you're not comfortable with, regardless of what your peers, your parents, or the culture insists.

Your list of regrets is a bit premature in my judgement by about sixty years, but listen to what your conscience is telling you.

Get involved and take every opportunity for advancement and improvement that comes your way.

[edit on 2009/12/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What I wouldn't give to go back 7 years and be 18 again. So much to look forward to.

Don't worry about finding your niche yet. I am still far from finding solid ground professionally and I love my life.

One step at a time.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
When I was 18 I had a clear picture of what my future was going to be. Then I found out that there are so many forks in the road of life that I would not have guessed in a million years that I would end up where I am today.

Things out of my control forced me to change gears and change directions, but I always felt as though I was making personal progress. Hopefully, this is what you will come to experience, too.

I would recommend that you maintain a healthy respect for the acquisition of knowledge whether it be in an educational institution, on the job, or though the events of every day life. Take things day by day, try not to overwhelm yourself with the the 'big picture', toss in some youthful optimism and I think that you will be satisfied with the results in the long run.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I always like to ask people how they got where they are today when I get the chance. And come to find out most of them are never where they planned to be are trained to be. Most of them met someone where they were working which led to something else which led to something else and on and on it goes. And sometimes people do end up where they were schooled to be. Its crazy.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys.

I still feel as though I messed up my highschool year. My gpa is low and I only scored 22 on my act.

Not only that but I'm a horrible procrastinator and slightly lazy. I haven't studied in years, only passing in low 80's.

-Will

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It's never too late to turn your life around and you have a lot of life ahead of you.

When you're ready to get serious, don't be afraid to ask for help.

There is definitely life after high school.

[edit on 2009/12/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Congrats! I turned 18 back in March.

College isn't as scary as you think it's going to be.

Enjoy being legal! (At least in the US)

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
total honesty here...i just skimmed your OP, and pressed the reply button...but here is what i have to say on this in general.

im 22...i am JUST NOW getting my head on straight. i dated a girl a few months back who was 24 and just getting her head on.

just because you are reaching a societal check point, doesn't mean you have to.

go at your pace...but at the same time, always keep it a constant thought that you are supposed to be growing and maturing and becoming a better being.

and sadly...if you want to live the "normal" life, you will have to work..or live to work..or whatever...the only saving grace you can have there is make sure you LOVE what you do for a living. it doesnt even have to be the whole thing...because no job is 100% joyful, but you know what i mean

main point: just roll with the punches. it will come to you.

edit to add: if you know you are slacking in the school department, just buck up and be a better student. yea..it aint as cool, its not as fun, but if you want that degree you gotta do it..again..something i wish someone wouldve told me 3 years ago...now im sitting here trying to make money come out my ass so i can start school again. learn from others mistakes.

[edit on 12/8/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

new topics

top topics

join