It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAN: Outrage, and a warning, over Swiss vote to ban minarets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Babylon & Beyond

An East-West clash over a Swiss referendum last week banning the construction of mosque minarets heated up today as Iran's foreign minister warned of unspecified "consequences" if the ban were enforced.

An Iranian cleric today also condemned the minaret ban. Ayatollah Hossein Nouri-Hamadani, said the move was "at odds with the protection of Muslim citizens' civil rights and will hurt the feelings of Muslims across the world," according to Iran's state television.

Calmy-Rey told Mottaki her government would "use all its means to support Muslims rights," according to IRNA.

OK Here we go...

Now Iran has thrown their opinion into the ring. The Swiss voted and it should stand. Who really cares what Iran says. This is getting pretty ridiculous. The Swiss have every right to decide what is built in their own country. Whether Iran or any Islamic country disagrees is of no matter.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Of course we get the muslim "outrage"
Really, does Iran or any other Islamic nation do anything for the other religions in their nations? More P.A.M.ing. When a Islamic country actually does something positive for a non-Muslim resident, I might give a damn. Till then it's just more BS.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Iran knows how to "work it" - create international press coverage regarding the issue and force the spotlight on the Swiss, sit back and let international pressure help facilitate and overturn the vote. In the meantime, international eyes are off them [Iran] for a bit.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Iran knows how to "work it" - create international press coverage regarding the issue and force the spotlight on the Swiss, sit back and let international pressure help facilitate and overturn the vote. In the meantime, international eyes are off them for a bit.

+1000...........and again remember, it's "the religion of peace", but if you don't do as we say we'll do something bad to you.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Unfortunately that seems to be the case.

Do as we say or there will be consequences.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Lol this so reminds me of that newspaper cartoon muslim outrage
note the picture.

www.danzfamily.com...

nice protest i guess there religion tells them to kill us if we insult them?
no offence to any believer but this rage which was integrated to be made.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice if they respected the rights of the host country, and quietly acquiested to the Swiss ruling? However, I expect we will be hearing more about this in the coming months.

This has the makings of something turning very ugly, especially since Iran has now put in their two cents. I will hope for the best, as worthless as that (my hope) is.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Im sure some here at ATS will call this religous supression or even racism...I call this a smart move on behalf of the Swiss.The way I look at it is, fewer places of worship = fewer fanatic muslims that are ready to jihad at the drop of a hat. After all, the peoplel voted for it in their country. And another thing, I dont see arab and muslim communities in the Middle East as the for runners for religous freedoms. So at the very least they should keep there mouths closed till they start to practice what they preach

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What rights do they teach about Christians and Jews should have in Iran?
The double standards kill big time.
Iran does not mind if Somalian Christians have a bad day, but are offend by a building project, now it is a concern all of a sudden. Nice to get your priorities right I like the one track mindedness. (Not)

A man killed by Islamist fighters in Somalia was shot because he had converted from Islam to Christianity, his widow has claimed.
Text

The Islamic rebels charged the seven Christians with abandoning the Muslim faith, and “spying”, before executing them in the town of Baidoa.
They did not receive a trial, and the executions are part of al-Shabaab’s implementation of sharia across areas of southern Somalia which it controls.
Text

Please give them the rights to chop your heads off.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So now its Iran dictating what other countries can do? We are trying to dictate that they stop the nuclear BS? Aren't they telling the world to F off? So now the swiss must bow down to the Iranians in charge and make the Iranians happy. Thats fine and good. What if the Swiss do this and then tell Iran to bow to international law and stop making the nuclear energy? will Iran stop? I doubt it. So what stops the swish from agreeing that it is hurting the Islamic poeple and then kick (ahem i mean return) them back to the muslim country of origin, Or in the case of 2nd or 3rd gen citizens just sending them back to thier forefather's country? It would stop all this nonsence and not hurt anyones feelings (except the poor people who have to move to a country they (for some reason) wanted out of.) If thier country is so great and lovely and they want to follow all thier customs from such places, why did they move out of there to begin with? I may sound like some sort of bigot but I really want to know why they deceided to move?, War, torture, rape, beheadings, whatever the case may be if it was so bad back there and you bring the same custums to a new country. What makes you believe that the outcome 20 generations from now wont be the same? Your persecuted in your country for your beliefs and you come to a new country; you normally would addapt to the customs of that new country so you fit in. If I was someone from Iran I would be out in the streets of the Swiss capitol yelling at the top of my lungs so that Iran hears me, telling them to F off. My new country wants me to wear bright orange spandex and carry a purple dinosaur and I am not persucuted, raped, or threated that I may die, then sign me up for that purple dino and ill gladly wear the outfit. My life is safer, My children arent touched, and I get to stay out of jail? GREAT! Now I fully understand bringing part of your heritage to the new country. But like most others keep it in your home. If Iran is trying to push in your favor, and your family ran away from Iran for various reasons, please think of why your country would be wanting to look out for your well being now, when they didnt look out for it back when you were living there.

IRAN should STFU, give up its arms and follow the Japenese in the way of peace before the world decieded that a silent Iran is worth the price of a few bullets. As for making threats, look in history how that has never worked in the favor of the one issuing those treats. Look what happened after pearl habor, Look what happened after Germany declared war. Look what happened when napolean tried to take out half of the world, The best generals in the world can and mostly do end up dead and thier countries end up in ruins. Someone fighting for his own country is a power house. but when your fighting against the rest of the world your outnumbered 20 to one, you may finish off 20 soldiers before you die but the guy standing next to mayr only be able to take out 19, Well guess what your now facing Mr #21soldier and you could die too. The Iranian president should be looking out for his people. A great and rich history is found in Iran. However how does that and the people of Iran stay safe when bombs are droping and tanks are rolling over strollers in the streets?

Protecting your people and your customs are fine and good, but start by protecting the ones in your own borders first.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anubis9311

When this minaret thing was going i was thinking about all the templars that moved to switserland after the friday the 13th..Interesting picture you have
. Its good of the swiss to preserve their culture and heritage and protect it from those influences. Iran on the other hand seem to be the spokesman/protector of the muslim world everytime such a "provocation" comes their way. What a country to look up to as a muslim. And you're right the way they behave in diplomatic traffic/relations, so much for reciprocity...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Iran on the other hand seem to be the spokesman/protector of the muslim world everytime such a "provocation" comes their way.

When did the Swiss vote on anything dealing with IRAN?
Seems to me some are delusional.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Iran urges Bern not to enforce minaret ban

TEHRAN — Iran warned Switzerland on Saturday of "consequences" over a referendum banning the building of new mosque minarets and urged Bern not to enforce the ban, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The vote went "against the prestige of a country which claims to be an advocate of democracy and human rights," Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told Swiss counterpart Micheline Calmy-Rey in a telephone call, quoted by IRNA.

Mottaki said last week's referendum would "damage Switzerland?s image as a pioneer of respecting human rights among Muslims' public opinion."

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Iran isn't the only Muslim country complaining about Swiss minarets but it is the only one making threats!

Switzerland ban on minarets draws worldwide criticism

Muslims around the globe have condemned Swiss voters' approval of a ban on minarets as a manifestation of their "hatred of Muslims." Maskuri Abdillah, head of Nahdlatul Ulama, Indonesia's biggest Muslim group, said on Monday that the vote reflected "a hatred of Swiss people against Muslim communities" and called on its 40 million followers to exercise restraint. Egypt's Muslim leader Ali Gomaa, the Egyptian government's official interpreter of Islamic law, also said the ban is an insult to Muslims and resembles "an attack on freedom of beliefs."

Wiki

Iranian government sources are sometimes quoted as giving a total of as many as 300,000 Christians in Iran. At present there are 73 registered churches in Iran.

And from Islam in Switzerland there are only 152,000 muslims (1992, no doubt more like 200,000 now) and currently 200 mosques.

Iran 73 chruches, Swiss 200 mosques!

The Swiss win hands down!

[edit on 6/12/09 by plumranch]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You know Iran loves to talk about the consequences that other nations will have to worry about if they dont get there way...We all know that there talking about state ran terrorism and it seems no one pulls there card on it.OOOh yeah Human Rights and Iran now thats funny :lol...This is stuff that just burns me up

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Really, does Iran or any other Islamic nation do anything for the other religions in their nations?

Iran has the largest Jewish population other than Israel..

Oh yeah, and Hollywood

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Where is Senor Chavez?

Surprised he hasn't put in his two cents.

Iran never misses an opportunity to make news.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
You know what? they can go piss off...

Who gives a damn what Iran has to say? Not to sound all volatile but on the end of my culture i'd like to see more nations ban or burn if need be those crappy Mc Donald's we stick everywhere too.

No one has a right to tell people how to live all over the world, not us, not them...

This PC every place, for everybody, everywhere nonsense we invented is a threat to nice interesting cultures all over the world and so Is Islam...

Let the damn Swiss keep it as it ism it's NICE to look at, it has charm and culture and is a distinct place. Unlike the crap corporate Junk we push everywhere and their backwards one way existence and architecture.... there's quite enough of that style globally too.

Big ol finger raised to those punks...

[edit on 6-12-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I don't blame Iran for being angry over this. It is a direct attack against muslims.

Sure you can argue that the majority may have wanted it. But the majority are most likely brainwashed against muslims. We all know TPTB are masters at that.

They're trying to make muslims throw the first punch so they look like the bad guys. Just like they're trying to get US citizens to throw the first punch so they can bring in martial law.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I don't blame Iran for being angry over this. It is a direct attack against muslims.

Sure you can argue that the majority may have wanted it. But the majority are most likely brainwashed against muslims.

Let's make very large generalizations shall we?

They are not outlawing the religion. They said no to the minarets. Just like any city has the right to do here in the states if it violates some sort of ordnance. In this case it was a popular vote. I guess the Majority of the Swiss are brain washed sheople.

Now that's an original concept.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join