It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leadership

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Leadership

How do you lead other people? How do you take charge and handle situations? I have always been told a great leader is a great follower first, as well as having great confidence. But how true is this?

First in being a great leader, you can't have ego, hatred, or greed. Also you must know your job and your mission of what you are to accomplish and think about the best way to achieve this accomplishment.

You must always keep everyone informed and not keep anything to yourself. You must take care of the people or company under you and put them before your own needs and not use your position/title for your own personal gain, pleasure, or profit.

You need to train the people to not only perform to the best of their ability but better than yours so they can keep the mission going and to be a successful leader as you are. I have always been told one team one fight.

Being a leader also includes the ability to take charge of any situation and to be able to think on your own without anyone else.

You need to listen to those under you as they may have greater ideas. Especially the young. Because as each generation advances they get smarter then the older generation of people.

You must treat everyone equally no matter the race or sex. You must give them proper awards and punishment.

You must talk to the ones below you as well as help them out no matter what the situation. If there seems to be something bothering them sit them down behind closed doors and talk to them find out what is going on. Help motivate them.

Try to handle things on a small level instead of taking it to a higher level. Never hand over your responsibilities to someone else because it may be easier to do. You must learn from everything.

Before punishing someone severely out of anger take a moment to cool off and think, then take the person aside and talk to them to see what's going on then decide if they really just needed punishment or just need someone to talk to them about it.

I still need more learning but my ultimate goal in life is to be a leader everywhere I go and be respected. But by doing the right things.

Am I missing anything here? Lou what's the best way to lead people and be a great successful leader?

Everyone here, how do you lead, what leadership skills do you have?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
As an NCO in the Air Force I believe in showing that I am not above anyone else in any manner besides rank. Believe it or not the greatest thing I have ever done is a mop a floor when my airmen could have done it. I earned respect quickly though I admit my fellow NCO's were not happy...not my problem

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
As an NCO in the Air Force I believe in showing that I am not above anyone else in any manner besides rank. Believe it or not the greatest thing I have ever done is a mop a floor when my airmen could have done it. I earned respect quickly though I admit my fellow NCO's were not happy...not my problem

-Kyo

I am glad you commented on this post. I agree. We are all equal no matter what some people just have a different patch on their chest. Your fellow Senior Airmen must not totally understand leadership. But some NCO's are not that bad and will get out there and work and train other soldiers to be leaders. That's what they are here for. Train and motivate soldiers to be leaders. They were once privates to. We are all human. However I still respect the rank.

new topics

join