It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

laser missile defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Pulled up this brief article summarising research being done for high power lasers to destroy missiles.

Picture of laser

CNN Qoute
"Tactical High-Energy Laser
One of the biggest duds of the Gulf War was the Patriot antimissile system, which failed to destroy many of the Scuds that Saddam Hussein lobbed at Israel and at U.S. troops. The Pentagon has since teamed up with Israel to try a different approach to disabling missiles: Frying them. The tactical high-energy laser (THEL) locks onto missiles with a swiveling laser projector that looks like a giant spotlight; the heat-generating laser beam causes incoming missiles to self-destruct. In tests, the THEL has brought down more than 25 missiles and even halted an artillery shell. Subcontractor Ball Aerospace & Technologies, a $491 million division of container manufacturer and former canning-jar maker Ball Corp., built the system that keeps the laser locked on targets closing in at 1,000 mph. -- D.H.F.

TOTAL COST: $250 million per installation
COMPANY TO WATCH: Ball Aerospace & Technologies (BLL)
WHAT IT MAKES:Target acquisition system"

I apologize if this old news for some of you

posted on Feb, 25 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
They already have the technology to manipulate where the missile hits on earth, they won't tell us of course, how will they create a one world government with out nuclear war?

posted on Feb, 25 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well can that be verified? Most likely just rumors. At least this laser stuff...all though may be an old project...is not a rumor.

posted on Feb, 28 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's a bit big and expensive though. I don't think a lot of the optics would survive a number of shots. A missile system would be more advisable I think....

new topics

top topics

join