It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America wakes up to the shift in global power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

America wakes up to the shift in global power

www.timesonline.co.uk

The percentage of Americans now saying that the US should “mind its own business” and let the rest of the world get on with it is now higher than it ever was during the Vietnam war and higher than it was in the low point of the Carter era. A full 49% of Americans now favour isolationism. The previous peaks were 41% in 1995 and 1976; at the height of the Vietnam war, the isolationist position mustered only 35%.

For the first time, most Americans also see China as the pre-eminent economic power; and 47% believe that Afghanistan will revert to the Taliban once the US leaves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think maybe this would be more accurately titled, "America CAN'T wake up from the never ending nightmare of special-interests RUINING their country, via the endless, two-party crime family enforcers OF those interests."

There is no question that these war-mongering, greed-mongering elitists are GUTTING our country through CONTINUED disastrous foreign AND domestic policies...Spend, spend, spend, like there's no tomorrow...Tax, tax, tax, like there's no tomorrow, even when there WON'T be a tomorrow left, when they insist on keeping these failed policies going.

Pretty sad how disheartened people have become, and yet those few in power just keep running us all into the ground further and further, refusing to change course. Sigh.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
All we want is to just be allowed to live I never recall asking to have an Omnipotent Military, pay for bases in over 100 countries, spend 500 Million per year on out of control science fiction like death projects instead of food stamps or schools... Be able to maintain an invasion force against 3 near super powers at once...

And the effects of this nonsense are showing badly...

Maybe Obama gets a hint and instead of pronouncing Pakistan properly he makes a real effort to show his respect for the rest of the world and starts withdrawing almost everything...

AS I see it a few thousand well maintained Nuclear tipped cruise missiles assures we can never be invaded ever by anyone aside from our borders which leaves us up against The Canucks and Mexicans in terms of defense...

Cost to defend against Canada by land....

Approximately 1 Mil for to send them all Christmas cards every year

and Mexico...

Just legalize the dope so that the gangs go out of business, maybe 100 Million bombing out the big labs and then... Christmas cards for them too... they are all really nice too aside from us having made this nightmare illegal trade and gang problem.

I mean for christs sake we waste allot of money and bother everyone for no reason...

i'll never Understand how a Nation that supplies 1/3 the worlds food and has most of the planets fresh water on it's continent and vast tracks of untapped land and no actual population crisis issue due to mostly negative growth and what there is can be contained entirely just by helping modernize Mexico, How we could ever have any problem ever that's not SELF GENERATED is beyond my comprehension

Isolation... Yes, please our whole continent rocks, this is the NEW WORLD time we remembered that.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You didn't mention Middle East in your statement. That alone is enough to keep us busy overseas. Unless we drop support for Israel to a reasonable level, there won't be end to it.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Great post.

I do think it is humorous, however, that conspiracy theorists are always looking for the secret government, secret societies, secret meetings, or whatever, that cause the creation of all these problems.

The fundamental problem, in my opinion, is that people are short-sighted, greedy, and stupid, and in a democratic republic this is manifested in government policy. How we are ruled is a reflection of who we are.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Even being Jewish I have to say it's time we drop support for Israel in a Military fashion, They have a good economy, they have a Nuclear deterrent one of the best military machines in the world and if the situation is ever bad enough we can have an open door policy for those that wish to leave.

But we can't pledge to invade every nation they have conflict with and if we do it for any nation under threat for whatever reason we have to keep that policy for every nation and the reality shows, we simply can't do that and survive ourselves... there are just limits to what is possible, it's not an issue of right or wrong, we won't be here to help if we are enemies with half the world... if my people wish to be safe....

We can't be invaded, probably the only nation on Earth that can ever say that...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

AHHHHHH!!! We are NOT a "democratic" Republic....we are a CONSTITUTIONAL REBULIC! Democracy is a majority rule slave machine for anyone not in the majority. Look up what liberty means.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
they have a Nuclear deterrent

This is part of the problem. If we don’t publicly back Israel then she will go to war, and although she has a great military, she is too small to defend herself in the long run.

Israel will use her nukes if pushed, and she will be pushed if we drop support.

In response to OP: I am for isolation to an extent, however, lets just see what all those nations who want us out of their business do when we stop giving them handouts.

We can keep our billions to our selves? and thats just aid money, imagine how much we can save by bringing all troops home! there are what, 100,000 American troops in Europe?

I understand that we are one of the stingiest developed nations as a percentage of GDP but in sheer volume of money, many nations would have trouble without our aid.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I was really surprised to see Obama announce that he was sending another 30k to Afghanistan. From where I sit, a more of an isolationist policy is the only way forward for the U.S.
We no longer have any leverage in the Middle Eastern region. Not now that the Saudis dropped the USD in favor of the Euro. When you combine this with the overall shift of power to international bankers that is becoming transparent I just don't see how the U.S. is going to survive this Global "Unity" movement that is being ramrodded down our throats right now.
We need to withdraw our involvement across seas and shore up our import to export ratio immediately. If we do not we will fall to the status of global muscle for the bankers at the UN (we possibly already are).

At any rate, those are the two routes and depending on the route taken the people of this country can either prosper or be subjugated even moreso through negligence of homeland ecnomic matters.

Of course, my rational mind should tell me exactly which option they choose. As George Carlin said: "There are three classes. The upper class is there to keep all of the money and pay none of the taxes. The middle class is there to do all the work and pay all of the taxes. And the lower class is there to scare the s!#t out of the middle class."
He was right to say this. The only thing that drives the people at the top is power over other human beings. They create an illusion of money so they can keep it all. Once the system thrives on their money, they have you by the short hairs. Or at least they feel they do. I pity them, really.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

All we want is to just be allowed to live I never recall asking to have an Omnipotent Military, pay for bases in over 100 countries, spend 500 Million per year on out of control science fiction like death projects instead of food stamps or schools... Be able to maintain an invasion force against 3 near super powers at once...

And the effects of this nonsense are showing badly...

Maybe Obama gets a hint and instead of pronouncing Pakistan properly he makes a real effort to show his respect for the rest of the world and starts withdrawing almost everything...

AS I see it a few thousand well maintained Nuclear tipped cruise missiles assures we can never be invaded ever by anyone aside from our borders which leaves us up against The Canucks and Mexicans in terms of defense...

Cost to defend against Canada by land....

Approximately 1 Mil for to send them all Christmas cards every year

and Mexico...

Just legalize the dope so that the gangs go out of business, maybe 100 Million bombing out the big labs and then... Christmas cards for them too... they are all really nice too aside from us having made this nightmare illegal trade and gang problem.

I mean for christs sake we waste allot of money and bother everyone for no reason...

i'll never Understand how a Nation that supplies 1/3 the worlds food and has most of the planets fresh water on it's continent and vast tracks of untapped land and no actual population crisis issue due to mostly negative growth and what there is can be contained entirely just by helping modernize Mexico, How we could ever have any problem ever that's not SELF GENERATED is beyond my comprehension

Isolation... Yes, please our whole continent rocks, this is the NEW WORLD time we remembered that.

damn. you nailed it.

funny how in the late 18th century our countrymen organized and successfully defeated these leeches with very limited communications throughout the land.

you'd think we would, as a people, be able to come together using our awesome communication technology, but alas, we eat chips and watch the colorful magic box.

i say time for aj to grow a pair and organize.

but that wont happen, will it?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Well that was what I am saying, and I say it from a perspective of being to a degree involved, much of my family would hold a different stance.

But in the end Israel can't stand without us, we can't ruin our nation for a military foot hold in a place we can never hold not assimilate, in the end it's a situation ...let's face it like each and every powder Keg from Korea to Israel to Pakistan India, that our involvement in can lead only one direction... our inevitable downfall.

If we allow these theaters to play out YES it will play out awful but resolve to peace, regional conflicts...

We are a super power, we have no natural enemies, we can always by resource and inaccessibility remain a super power.

We might disagree with what goes on elsewhere...but over time and with a HISTORICAL method of operation... our beliefs our freedoms can only spread and inspire...

Like this we are garbage, weak, meddling hated and the world reacts by economic attack against us and our culture grows weaker by the day...

I just can't be hypocrite, we can't do this for Korea or Israel or anyone else...

These regions will work themselves out... we will accept as we always did those that flee oppression and grow STRONGER from these conflicts in time...

Our nation can only benefit from South Korean refugees, From Israeli refugees, let's face it these are good cultures good additions...

To go down inevitable with them will be our undoing...

For all our short history where people have been oppressed we have absorbed those leaving that was always our strength...

We all know...the BEST always come under attack or persecution by tyrants and for a long time we received the best to this...this REAL Promised land...

There is only death there to be had...historically it is a crossroads a bloody violent place...

WE only prolong the suffering by this expensive artificial maintenance and weaken ourselves.

WE were strong as Isolationist, it was our best years, fastest growth best immigrants. Policing the world is utter failure, through war our perceived enemies no matter what the outcome will only grow weak while we flourish...

It sounds awful perhaps to some, but victory is the goal, survival, prosperity...

The powder kegs of the world, balancing them will eventually doom us to the hatred of all the Earth...

No one globally will ever even think of coming for us here, this continent unless we make them...

Our military efforts should remain in this hemisphere... North and Even South America, no further ever.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

reply to post by cavscout

Well that was what I am saying, and I say it from a perspective of being to a degree involved, much of my family would hold a different stance.

But in the end Israel can't stand without us, we can't ruin our nation for a military foot hold in a place we can never hold not assimilate, in the end it's a situation ...let's face it like each and every powder Keg from Korea to Israel to Pakistan India, that our involvement in can lead only one direction... our inevitable downfall.

If we allow these theaters to play out YES it will play out awful but resolve to peace, regional conflicts...

We are a super power, we have no natural enemies, we can always by resource and inaccessibility remain a super power.

We might disagree with what goes on elsewhere...but over time and with a HISTORICAL method of operation... our beliefs our freedoms can only spread and inspire...

Like this we are garbage, weak, meddling hated and the world reacts by economic attack against us and our culture grows weaker by the day...

I just can't be hypocrite, we can't do this for Korea or Israel or anyone else...

These regions will work themselves out... we will accept as we always did those that flee oppression and grow STRONGER from these conflicts in time...

Our nation can only benefit from South Korean refugees, From Israeli refugees, let's face it these are good cultures good additions...

To go down inevitable with them will be our undoing...

For all our short history where people have been oppressed we have absorbed those leaving that was always our strength...

We all know...the BEST always come under attack or persecution by tyrants and for a long time we received the best to this...this REAL Promised land...

There is only death there to be had...historically it is a crossroads a bloody violent place...

WE only prolong the suffering by this expensive artificial maintenance and weaken ourselves.

WE were strong as Isolationist, it was our best years, fastest growth best immigrants. Policing the world is utter failure, through war our perceived enemies no matter what the outcome will only grow weak while we flourish...

It sounds awful perhaps to some, but victory is the goal, survival, prosperity...

The powder kegs of the world, balancing them will eventually doom us to the hatred of all the Earth...

No one globally will ever even think of coming for us here, this continent unless we make them...

Our military efforts should remain in this hemisphere... North and Even South America, no further ever.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

we are a CONSTITUTIONAL REBULIC!

Technically yes, in actuality we have become a corporate dictatorship. It is the major corporations that have been running america for a long time and the handful of elite "haves and Have mores" that dictate to the "politicians" (puppets) they put into office.

Our politicians have sold their souls in the name of profit.

There is big money in war, research who has profitted from our many wars.

I believe in the free America that our Constitution is supposed to protect, as opposed to the soft tyranny in which we now reside. Think we’re actually free? Then why do protesters have to stand in ‘free speech zones’ a minimum of a mile away from a political debate, rally, or other gathering of ‘important’ people? I thought America WAS a ‘free speech zone’!

I believe the ENTIRE Constitution is as written, and NOT a ‘living, breathing document’! I especially believe in the Second Amendment, as your ultimate right and responsibility as a sovereign is self-defense by any means necessary!

I am politically independent, because Big Business controls BOTH political parties, and I think it is a sad and tragic mistake for people to believe that most of the RepubliCrat politicians on the hill give a rat’s ass about you, your family, or your country! No, our so-called ‘leaders’ are prostitutes who will sell us down the river to the highest bidder.

I believe in our military, but an tired of seeing our fighting men and women misused for corporate gain. Read “Necessary Illusions”, “Manufacturing Consent”, and some of the other books Noam Chomsky published during the 1980s and 1990s, and you’ll see how our wars in South and Central America, Asia, and the Middle East had very little to do (if anything at all) with ’spreading democracy’!

I don’t consider myself an adherent to any particular political philosophy, but if you MUST categorize me, I guess “Libertarian” would most closely describe my views, since I believe that consenting adults have the right to eat, smoke, drink, read, watch, and worship (or not) however they choose, so long as it does not infringe on someone else’s rights. Likewise, all persons on Earth should be free from the coercive actions of others.

I favor small government that only performs the legitimate functions of government; national defense, building and maintaining infrastructure, upholding the Constitution and protecting the civil rights of our sovereigns. Remember, government’s purpose it to serve US, and not the other way around!

I like and trust VERY FEW American politicians, since they have to be in bed with Corporate America and the international banks to get to the White House or Congress (just like Playboy Playmates have to be in bed with Hef to live in the Playboy Mansion). There are, however, a few exceptions. justicelivesnot.com...

new topics

top topics

join