It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future Is Coming 2: Nanotechnology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agree with the point of technology becoming a part of our evolution already, it's enabled us to live longer, healthier lives and given us massive leaps in our educational potential. We are nearing the point where we can guide our evolution.

Kudos to most in this thread for balanced thoughts etc.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by psychederic

why would you choose to live for 5,000 years if you were a slave?
actualy having the freedom to live that long seems much more "free" han only getting to live about 70 years.

also I said our economy is fake already, so I don't know why your saying this?

but like i said, this technology will give us the ability to really take care of ourselves.
we could be free of so many chains that have bounded us for so long.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Maybe, i am not totally against technology : it is a tool. ( but i cannot accept all technologies )

It depend on who will use it : and there are lot of probability that more technology will not give us more "freedom" but more control from other people.

ie : internet is free , but will be controlled. And the ideal of freedom of information will disapear. (no more p2p, and no more public domain, next is the growing free culture)

ie : you need water,electricity, etc buy it.

ie : they create a need, but you will have to pay each month.

www.imdb.fr...

etc we need the "METAMORPHOSIS OF THE WORLD " (in our world view )

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

And i understand your position. What I say is possible
and what you say is possible. but what will happen who knows? Im an optimist so i look at the good sides. yes the elite are bad people. but theres many more people who work for them that are good people. so there will definitely be a battle over this.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
What will nanotech do as far as bodybuilding?

Im talking about people who are bodybuilders... Could these tiny machines be used to tear down, then repair new muscles all the while building larger muscles without the individual touching a single weight?

[edit on 013131p://0112am by semperfoo]

When we're at that level of nanotechnology, we'll just have replacement muscle made from nanomaterial. That might lead to a divide between "natural" and "enhanced" athletics though, but I suspect with the boons you'd get from nanotechnology, it'd be crazy NOT to be enhanced.

There are going to be purists, but there will be a point to where they'll be seen as childlike and immature compared to the enhanced human of the future...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grahag

Maybe the childlike and immature are those who cannot refuse technology, and whom cannot think deeply about the technology.

those are the sheep : and they are the sheep for everything.

Is technology a drug or what ? Yes.

technology is the drug for humanity : it has constructed our social evolution in our last centuries.

Nothing : tells you this drug is totally good for us.

There are maybe a lot of thing that tells you the opposite.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by psychederic]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
reply to post by grahag

Maybe the childlike and immature are those who cannot refuse technology, and whom cannot think deeply about the technology.

those are the sheep : and they are the sheep for everything.

In this case, the technology would help us better understand more about it. It's self-sustaining in that the more we use it, the more we gain and understand about it's use.

Without the nuclear weapon technology, we wouldn't have MANY technologies that help is more than the weapon hurts us. MRI's, Nuclear Power, and even smoke detectors... For as much as nuclear weapons have kept us on the brink, the benefits we've reaped and lives saved have far outweighed the harm done.

It's a genie, but there's no way to stop the development of a technology once it's been made feasible. The best thing you can do is get a responsible group of people to try to limit harmful development.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
They are going too far ahead with the possibilities. We don't even fully understand the human body. Did you know that when you get an organ transplant your body will work to destroy and remove the foreign cells? Implanting nanobots into your body would create the same problem unless they had a signature that they were your own cells. That cannot be accomplished without decades of research and we still might not even come close.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

It's a genie, but there's no way to stop the development of a technology once it's been made feasible. The best thing you can do is get a responsible group of people to try to limit harmful development.

Yes : technology could be use for the good : but now it need to be tested because we don't understant what the technology means , we see the benefit : and all are blind.

Moreover : "scientist" and all people should think about how could be used these technologicaly because of political system : and invidividuals are not the politics in "democracy".

The individual follow and obey : asbestos, nanoparticulegsm, cancer ... ( i don't think most of them understant that it will kill them : they think they are safe : and do they have other choices ? Following the sheeples is easier )

(carcinogene nanoparticule are in sunscreen : since 1990 : COOL ? And will kill a lot of people and THEIR child) -> This is a nazy world. Commercializing and killing people and nobody care : this is a nazy world.

I really think we should NOT commercialize a lot of stupid stuff : and your group of people (politically independant : but i don't think it is possible here, in our society) should test the technology for 20 years.before selling it.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by psychederic]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Do you know what invention is responsible for more deaths than any other device on the planet?

The car? Nope.
Cigarettes? Nope.

The pen.

More people have been killed due to the pen than any other invention. Do you think the inventor of the pen foresaw that his device would be used to sign laws or resolutions or orders that would be responsible for so many deaths?

My point is that there is no way to foresee the evil that men might do with any particular technology, but to see the good that can be done and then ensure that more good than bad comes out of it. More people have been helped than hurt by the creation of the pen.

Nanotechnology has the potential to end almost ALL human suffering due to lack of resources or information. Disease will be cured, famine will be ended, poverty ended, the universe will be more understood, and the course of our evolution will be firmly in our hands instead of under the control of our environment.

Am I worried that the technology will be used as a weapon? Absolutely. Am I so worried that I feel the development needs to stop? Absolutely not. In fact, our safety will rely on the continued development to prevent the misuse of it. You can outlaw the technology, but once you do that, the only people working on it are the outlaws...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grahag

"
More people have been killed due to the pen than any other invention. " this is purely sophism ( but good joke ).

Nevermind : you know that for medicine : they must test their invention during 15 , and proov this will not cause damage, and they must indicate all concequences ( and in theory this must not be done by the company that produce this new stuff ).

I just ask to apply the same ideal of scientific test before giving technology that can cause a lot of damage : this is the precaution principle .( like a vaccin, this is my joke ). YES : science and technology is now in the health field : so we need to apply the scheme.

If for you the precaution principle is not important, test all stuff on you and your child. And wait and see : ok ?

We need laws, or rules, yes ! sorry but we cannot accept human clonage : and they have not. So where is your logic ? We must accept everything ( and you wish in fact to conform to what you think is the real world view : but you are wrong there are some barrier against the stupid science, and stupid applications of science : HOPEFULLY BUT WE NEED MORE : i don't think you read about gmo's ? And the mutation happening today and in every country because of gmos : the gene from the gmo is now in unwanted plants : and they are now very very resistant to herbicide.

I never said we need to stop the devellopment : we need to be ADULT with the capacity to say NO , to the possible technological application.

Sorry : it is not because you can theoritically , physically do a lot of thing : than you do it : you understand : this is being adult, theoritically you will not kill everybody even if you have a sweet AK - 47.

We cannot apply simple rhetoic, simple logic ( and being simple) : with more and more complex technology.

ie : ( in health ) they test the concequences of one mollecul on bodies : separtly : but they accept that according to complexity they cannot assure that with other molecule there are no concequence.

That mean : the more you take medicine : the more you cannot understand what are the possible effect ( and the doctor allways try to limit the number of medicine : here the doctor is your consciousness : if you cannot be adult).

[edit on 9-12-2009 by psychederic]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Dr. Douglass is an industry whistleblower whose bottom-line is the health of the people, and the exposure of the FDA false-health claims we see everyday in popular media. He has campaigned for good health, not political power, for years. His findings are incredible, and his words worth heeding.

I’m William Campbell Douglass I.I., M.D. I’ve been called “the conscience of modern medicine,” and the National Health Federation voted me “Doctor of the Year.”

But, I’ve also been labeled a “maverick”, and several less flattering names too, by some of the biggest names in the government and health establishments – but, hey, that’s part of the territory. And my territory is everywhere…

•I’ve flown with US Navy crews as a flight surgeon…
•Saved lives as a long-time emergency physician…
•Battled malaria in bullet-torn regions of Central America…
•Fought deadly epidemics at my own health clinic in Africa…
•Worked alongside doctors at Russia’s renowned Pasteur Institute…
•I’ve even been called before Congress (they never asked me back)…
And if there’s one undeniable fact I’ve learned in 40 years of treating patients all over the world, it’s that…

There is no such thing
as an undeniable medical fact!

On-topic, I consider this extremely important to be aware of :

Hidden hazards of nano-ingredients

I never thought I’d say this, but there’s something in your food that’s even worse than sugar… and this microscopic new threat isn’t even listed on the ingredients label.

These tiny terrors are called “nanoparticles” or “nanomaterials,” and they’ve been scientifically engineered to make foods look better and last longer.

But when it comes to nano, just say no-no — because nanotechnology, as it’s called, is wildly unregulated and dangerously untested. In fact, we have no idea at all what this junk might to do humans — yet you’re probably eating it right now.

Welcome to your new life as a supermarket lab rat.

What little we do know is downright frightening: A two-year study on animals at UCLA found nano-titanium dioxide — the most common nanoparticle — caused DNA and chromosome damage, according to AOL News.

The researchers say this kind of severe damage could lead to cancer, heart disease and brain disease… and yet these nano-particles are turning up in everything from fruit and vegetable coatings to salad dressing to ice cream.

We used to call that food tampering. Instead, the mad scientists behind this sick scheme are considered industry pioneers.

Meanwhile, the FDA is so in the dark on this one that they won’t even admit it’s in your food… even if its own experts say it is. In fact, the AOL News report found that 20 of the world’s top food makers have their own nano-labs or contracts with universities to develop nano-ingredients for them.

And because there’s no requirement to list these particles on nutritional labels, there’s no way of knowing if your food has been nano-tainted… and therefore no way to avoid it.

It’s reaching the point where the only way to be safe is to grow your own — and if you have the time and space, don’t wait — spring is here. Start planting today.

April 14th Daily Dose
douglassreport.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Here are some recent news articles I thought people might find interesting.

Single-Molecule Manipulation for the Masses: New Technique Offers Dramatic Improvements in Throughput and Cost
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 2, 2010) — Scientists have developed a new massively-parallel approach for manipulating single DNA and protein molecules and studying their interactions under force.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e83e3a5b3dd.jpg[/atsimg]

The team of researchers from the Rowland Institute at Harvard University claim that their technique, which they call "single molecule centrifugation," offers dramatic improvements in throughput and cost compared with more established techniques.

"By combining a microscope and a centrifuge, forces can be applied to many molecules at once while simultaneously observing their nano-to-microscale motions," explains author Wesley P. Wong, a Principal Investigator at Rowland.

Liquid Method: Pure Graphene Production
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 1, 2010) — In a development that could lead to novel carbon composites and touch-screen displays, researchers from Rice University and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology today unveiled a new method for producing bulk quantities of one-atom-thick sheets of carbon called graphene.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Ah nice thread, I made a similar thread myself in the past too. Here:www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's an interesting subject indeed.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I have been following the nano movement for about 12 years now, was a active member of nanodot.org and foresight.org for ages.

Ultimately, the hopes and dreams are high, but the progress is exceptionally slow.

i would agree that the process is currently going slow. but it is always speeding up.
Thats what happens with exponential curves, but i have a feeling it will blow up soon!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
good info- now i wont sound so crazy..
my mental health worker thinks i'm nuts.
i've been probing DARPA and come away very afraid.
I dont think many folks have wrapped their head around
how much of a mindscrewing is headed their way.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
source

Iron nano-particles injected into the blood stream that find and latch onto tumors. The magnets are then heated with a magnetic field to kill off the cancer cells and leave healthy cells alone. this is the most recent article I could find however my new SCIENCE magazine says that this research has made it through clinical trials.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Didn't want to start a new thread, so brought back an existing thread discussing the possibilities of nanotechnology.

This might sound a little far-fetched to some of you, but after reading this article here which is about how humans could be immortal by 2040

www.cio.com...

An idea popped into my head, which would be nanobots replicating they key elements of oil. I'm not a scientist, so I honestly don't know how far-fetch that would be. Would it be possible for water to use nanobots to replicate oil?

Just an idea

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Molecular nanotechnology is definitely the technology I'm most looking forward to (if it is developed in my lifetime, that is). While the idea of having a real-life replicator is cool, I think the Utility fog and nanomedicine will have a larger impact. If you don't know what a utility fog is, read this. Nanomedicine would be able to cure almost any disease, reverse the effects of aging indefinitely, keep us healthy and attractive, enhance our cognitive abilities, and even replace our biological brain cell-by-cell gradually with an immortal artificial one. The Star Trek universe would seem so tame in comparison to the emergence of full-fledged molecular nanotechnology.
edit on 8-8-2011 by GeeGee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
nanotechnology. Best technology so far.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join