It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police U-turn on photographers and anti-terror laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Police U-turn on photographers and anti-terror laws

www.independent.co.uk

Police forces across the country have been warned to stop using anti-terror laws to question and search innocent photographers after The Independent forced senior officers to admit that the controversial legislation is being widely misused.

The strongly worded warning was circulated by the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) last night.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
boingboing.net
www.amateurphotographer.co.uk[/ url]

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread432269/pg1]UK Terror Law To Make Photographing Police Illegal

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well Hats off to Chief Constable Andy Trotter, chairman of Acpo's media advisory group for sending this Email.

He talks alot of sense on the matter,explaining that the harrasement of photographers is allienating the very public that they need on their side.

Well done CC Andy Trotter,Hopefully this action will lead to the UK going a very small step forward in terms of human rights,instead of the many steps back we have been taking under Labour.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Chief Constable Andy Trotter, chairman of Acpo's media advisory group, took the decision to send the warning after growing criticism of the police's treatment of photographers. Writing in today's Independent, he says: "Everyone... has a right to take photographs and film in public places. Taking photographs... is not normally cause for suspicion and there are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in a public place."
He added: "We need to make sure that our officers and Police Community Support Officers [PCSOs] are not unnecessarily targeting photographers just because they are going about their business. The last thing in the world we want to do is give photographers a hard time or alienate the public. We need the public to help us.

"Photographers should be left alone to get on with what they are doing. If an officer is suspicious of them for some reason they can just go up to them and have a chat with them – use old-fashioned policing skills to be frank – rather than using these powers, which we don't want to over-use at all." Section 44 of the Terrorism Act allows the police to stop and search anyone they want, without need for suspicion, in a designated area. The exact locations of many of these areas are kept secret from the public, but are thought to include every railway station in and well-known tourist landmarks thought to be at risk of terrorist attacks.

www.independent.co.uk...

The man talks sense.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Its about time this stupid law is put into perspective.. and it should be abandoned along with the other stupid laws they have implemented.

S&F

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Funny that this comes only after a photographer for a major outlet was harrassed. Linky. As I've said on another forum "One tiny step in the right direction doesn’t make up for the huge leaps that have been taken into the wrong direction."

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Funny that this comes only after a photographer for a major outlet was harrassed. Linky. As I've said on another forum "One tiny step in the right direction doesn’t make up for the huge leaps that have been taken into the wrong direction."

Absolutly the truth :-) but it is still a step in the right direction even if it is only a taste..

We have gone way to far in the wrong direction, it is about time some of these stupid laws find their way into the bin of histories mistakes..

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

It is a shame that it took this long,and it is a tiny step,but this is a positive move.Tourists,Birdwatchers,Fans of architecture and your average joe can at least now take a picture without fear of arrest.
Once again.Hopefully.

Tiny steps can lead to bigger steps.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Finally, a police group gets it.

In the USA, the anti-terror laws are being used to harass (in my opinion) ordinary citizens taking pictures. While I understand the fears, couldn't a "smart" terrorist just make notes on their Google Earth and Google Maps?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh it's about time...

One of my personal list of 1000 (give or take a few) moronic laws of the last 20 years is going bye bye...

Utterly useless, because there is a landmark you can't get photos of on the net anyway right... or it takes more than a call to let someone know about a new barricade or camera in place...

I love taking pictures and have been stopped without arrest may 10 x since this one... (most cops aren't actually evil idiots) but still.... always makes me uncomfortable...

Yeah...

Do this with 1000 more idiot nanny rules and i'll stop using ats (or at least change my name to something nice and post only about Sasquatches and stuff like that)

top topics

join