Simple rule would be revolutionary for governments.

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The rule would be this:


If any given act is illegal then the government shouldn't be allowed to do it either.


Of course I'm not suggesting such a law would change anything... governments routinely ignore all their laws. However, such a law could act as an educational tool for those lacking good sense.

Anyone is welcome to challenge me on the statement that pretty much all government very regularly violate their own rules at every level. I guess what I'm getting at is that the vast majority of our social problems would be dramatically reduced (though never eliminated of course) upon applying such a simple one-liner.




posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A better idea would be to encourage people to take an interest in politics and offer more education in schools regarding politics. Too many people form their opinions not because they have thought about them but because somebody else has thought about them for them. If somebody tells you to think something, question their motives. Question your own motives for the opinions that you hold too.

At the end of the day you can moan about your government all you like but you only have yourself to blame because you put them there! Ultimately they work for you and you have the power to regulate them. The only reason that governments can get away with corruption, warmongering and deceit is because people havent realised yet just how much power they have. Your governments know this and its time that you did too.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by digdeep
A better idea would be to encourage people to take an interest in politics and offer more education in schools regarding politics. Too many people form their opinions not because they have thought about them but because somebody else has thought about them for them. If somebody tells you to think something, question their motives. Question your own motives for the opinions that you hold too.

At the end of the day you can moan about your government all you like but you only have yourself to blame because you put them there! Ultimately they work for you and you have the power to regulate them. The only reason that governments can get away with corruption, warmongering and deceit is because people havent realised yet just how much power they have. Your governments know this and its time that you did too.


I disagree that my government works for me. I work for them. I am a slave owned & operated by the US Federal government. Not saying thats how its supposed to be. I'm saying thats how it is.

But I definitely agree it is sadly rare for people to think for themselves. Very rare. And I think you're right either way the answer is spreading the word about how people should think for themselves. But I'd still be awfully happy to see such a rule on paper that anything illegal for the people should be illegal for the government body supposedly (but no really) run by the people.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Where we differ here is that I am an Englishman and you are an American. The same problems pervade both our societies and the same solutions ultimately apply. You may or may not have seen our version of the imbecile that America inexplicably elected twice, George Bush (although on at least one occasion, very dubiously). Mayor of London Boris Johnson was elected because he was very entertaining on a popular panel show over here. Only George W. Bush himself surpasses him in stupidity. And the reason he is running one of the worlds biggest cities? Nobody could be bothered to consider what each candidates strengths and weaknesses might be, they just picked the guy that they'd heard of.

(The other main candidates were a former communist and a politician recently released from prison for corruption. Its a shame we didn't just boycott the whole thing until they offered us some genuine contenders!)



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't know why but I think a society like the one you depict is impossible. How else would governments be able to function if they couldn't break the law? I mean if the government wasn't able to rob from us and print their counterfeit money how else do you think they'd be able to function as they do?



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Of course then the government couldn't have capitol punishment, come to think about it being held against your will is a crime so no prisons. I believe aiming a gun at someone is considered assault so it isn't as though the police could actually force you to go to the prison that would no longer exist anyway. After all it isn't just the government that routinely ignores the law, how else does one explain the abundance of prisons?



posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I don't know why but I think a society like the one you depict is impossible. How else would governments be able to function if they couldn't break the law? I mean if the government wasn't able to rob from us and print their counterfeit money how else do you think they'd be able to function as they do?




Originally posted by Histopherness Of course then the government couldn't have capitol punishment, come to think about it being held against your will is a crime so no prisons. I believe aiming a gun at someone is considered assault so it isn't as though the police could actually force you to go to the prison that would no longer exist anyway. After all it isn't just the government that routinely ignores the law, how else does one explain the abundance of prisons?


I'll admit I have not really thought much about it, since not only is it really tough to imagine a government that follows its own rules, but even further its pretty tough to imagine it will ever happen so its kind of an out of this world "what if" scenario.

What was really on my mind when I posted is how governments ignore the constitutions that are supposed to bind them... like the US congress supposed to have to declare a war before fighting. Or US state governments being required to pay all debts using gold and silver.

But none-the-less I'm willing to consider this taking this argument to an extreme and address issues like justice... I think what would have to happen is that the government would have to allow vigilante justice. That would thereby allow them to maintain the system so long as they allow anyone else to set up their own identical system should they so choose. It seems strange but again if everyone is bound by the same set of laws I don't think it could be abused as one would think.

For example, you couldn't just go around arresting whoever you wanted. You'd need an arrest warrant except in cases of immediate danger and probable cause. Of course this creates just as many questions... like who polices the police? And I'm willing to explore the answers in this thread if anyone really cares to explore them.

Frankly I'd consider it a giant leap in the right direction if they'd just start follow the rules that they set for themself to follow... I was mostly referring to laws they write designed to keep themself in check. Then later on I'd worry about things like an allowed system of vigilante justice.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by truthquest]

[edit on 7-12-2009 by truthquest]





new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join