It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I an empath? How extensive are my abilities?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by zosocoda
reply to post by Bluebelle

Well from your statement, I gather you have never "connected" with an animal. I have owned several cats and dogs in my forty years. I can tell you that everyone of them could understand what I was saying to them. Some much more than others. As a small child I would run the woods behind our house with the my dog "Ledo" , and he would interact with me. Whether we were just sittin and listening to the wind in the trees or we were making a fort. He was always right there with me, like another kid.
I also, had a boxer "Roxanne", it got to the point where I didn't even have to speak, I would just look at her in a way she just understood. I can't explain it, It just happened
Oh and the "humping thing" you spoke of, if I am not mistaken, when a dog does that it's a show of dominance over you. That's prob. why you never connected with a dog, they owned you.

dude, seriously, I wish I could give you 20 stars for the comment...

lmao....

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Do you think I might be an empath? Also, how could I work on extending my abilities to calm someone else? I  don't even think about influencing emotions, I just do it subconsciously, but how could I do it consciously? 

What I read if true, written by a 16 year old young man, amazes and astonishes me. I feel almost as if I am going back in time because you, at your 17 year younger then me age, have described some of my most inner understandings of myself to a tee. However I could never put it all so eloquently. The only part I dont totally relate to is the migraines, but I have had other sources of constant pain even at a young age.

I`m not sure what an empath is, guess I`ll look it up now. But I was very excited to read this and have given you a star and flag for your efforts. Like I said it feels as if I am going back in time because we share so many of the same feelings that I`m searching for what it is I can tell you that I know will really help you out. I want to give you some info that I wish I had 17 years ago but the truth is I think you know way more about this then I.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by downisreallyup
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I wouldn't be so quick to explain away all this guys statements. He doesn't sound like an average kid to me at all.

He sounds exactly like an average kid to me!

I wonder why you are trying to invalidate this young man? First you say "we are all special" and then you tell him that he sounds normal.

I never said "we are all special". Can you show me where I said that? Or are you just misquoting in order to string together some kind of coherence in your argument?

This idea that "we're all just so special" sounds like some kind of psycho-babel intended to bolster one's self-esteem.

Again, your having an argument with a subtext of your own creation. Please don't speak to me about psycho babel. It's those who go by the way of magical thinking that are spouting all the babel in this thread.

My self esteem is great thanks. I don't need to think I'm anything special. I'm more than happy and fulfilled being me. However those who wish to think they have 'special' abilities are clearly suffering from low self esteem... therefore the need to be 'special' by creating grandiose titles for what is ultimately normal.

Your poles in this situation, are completely crossed!

This kid's migraine headaches are certainly not normal, and his ultra-sensitivity to other people's emotions is also not "normal."

Headaches and sensitivity to other peoples emotional state are completely normal. What planet are you broadcasting from?

Please, this is ATS, where the unusual is to be explored, and if people want to invalidate this kid so quickly, without even asking more questions to see how he can be helped, that seems to violate the whole thrust of this site.

The problem lays with people trying to validate this kid... which incidentally is the sole purpose of his thread. If you go back through the thread, you will notice that the Author only speaks to people who validate him. God forbid he entertain the notion that he is normal huh!

I've seen this kind of thread and MO enough to know exactly what it is. He wants people to tell him he is special. Given that no one knows this character, it is not safe to do that. For all you know, you could be making someones mental disease worse.

I guess it's ok on the internet though because we don't have to feel responsibility for, or witness the mess we've created in that persons life. Strange behavior for 'empaths'.

Perhaps you should tread lightly (like others here should) and stop trying to validate yourself by proxy.

I'm not being mean, just honest.

IRM

[edit on 6/12/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I can sense people's emotions. I hate crowds. I'm highly sensitive and I have high intuition. It sucks, I know how you feel.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
it looks like us crazies are coming out of the woodwork, better watch out infared man. but really special is not the right word for us, just farther along.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I can sense people's emotions and can tell alot about someone in the first few minute of meeting them. Like their past comes to me sorta like a daydream. People constantly tell me their problems..total strangers. I don't dwell on it. I just try to be encouraging and kind. I don't get depressed from feeling others feelings. I am sure that is difficult for you. Just try to dismiss it from your mind and concentrate on yourself.

It did take alot of courage to post this thread..I'm sure you feel better now knowing you're not alone.

I wish for you all good things....

Z~

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by mossme89

Hi mossme89. Yes, it certainly appears as though you have some empathic abilities.

I am in the business of psychology, and sometimes am called upon to make assessments of people very quickly. There are situations in which this can be urgent, and decisions, at least temporary ones, must be made very quickly. Consequently, I have deliberately expanded my empathic abilities. I worked on it. I made it happen. It has served me well.

Yours seems to have developed on it's own, or you inherited it. This is something you can build on and use, or let die if you wish.

I have read of people who feel the emotion's of others so strongly, they have a difficult time going into crowed places. They feel so bombarded with emotions they become uncomfortable and have to leave.

I personally never experience anything like that. It is a tool I use by focusing on someone, usually in a one-on-one setting, or sometimes must do so in a chaotic situation. I can call it up. Sometimes a person's feelings, if they are very intense, will "jump out at me", and I don't care for that. I'd rather be in control. But when this happens the person is experiencing very intense feelings, and is usually psychotic, I've come to see. When it happens with a person who is very actively having a psychotic break, it makes me very, very uncomfortable, and I will generally leave the room a couple of minutes to "break the connection". I personally can avoid the "reconnect" (usually, not always) by not making eye contact with them again. It's the eye contact that does it for me.

But this will be what you make of it. I don't consider it "paranormal", or anything of that nature. It is what it is, and can be helpful in helping others.

If the ability doesn't get out of control, and you don't come to hate it, you might want to consider going into one of the helping professions. It gives you a slight edge, but of course other acquired tools through study and experience must be engaged as well.

You are diving into private territory, Boy.

Are you sure you want to feel others' feelings? What if you're wrong? What if it isn't something you would want to remember?

The arrogance to think you can stand in another's shoes better than they can. What would happen if you delved into a mind that you don't want to remember?

Would you go psychotic? Insane? Would you ever know?

I don't like guessing games, either. Don't mess with another's intimate feelings. They mean nothing if they aren't Yours.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by forgetthenwo

Originally posted by Angus123

Originally posted by Aoxoa
You area powerful being... My friends, the little green fluff elves told me so. Or was that lint? Never knew, but anyway if you use your big huge head you will be able to teleport into the world of warcraft where you belong. Ive a orc shaman who can help you get buffed with his totems.

Wow... that was totally uncalled for. Just how small is it anyway dude?

Wow... a sarcastic comment followed by a reference to the guy having a small penis. Very mature and so called for...? How old are you anyway dude, your picture screams 40's but your words say 15's.

Yeah stick up for the guy being a jerk for no reason why don'tcha.
But birds of a (small) feather jerk together I guess, lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

At 16, even since i was 3 or 4, I've always felt "different" than my peers. As a result I have struggled socially. I have had constant ups and downs. The last few months have been a spiritual awakening for me, as I try to find what makes me different. One thing that makes me different is that I have had a strong passion for the supernatural, even at a young age. I'm also an avid daydreamer.

I just have to quote that but trust me, I read the rest

My opinion on this matter is it could be inborn or inherited from parents or even a racial trait. But in my case, I've acquired some from my mother, race, but MOSTLY,from life's big bumps along the road which is also a very spiritual matter for me.

Everyone can be an empath actually. The secret? Keep your mind off money, material things, power, professional success, social status, popularity, competition, food, fashion trends, and other worldly pleasures. Stop thinking about yourself and you being the center of the universe and think more of people and all creatures in dire need or you could help or please or entertain.

I believe empathy is already built into the human race, but I have to say the obvious, the constant thoughts of money and other material worries of this life kills that ability!

"No money? You mean you don't get paid?"
"The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We wish to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."

- Lily and Picard (Star Trek First Contact, the irony of a fictional script that actually works in real life)

Then you become an empath, you have to trust me on that for the second time

[edit on 6-12-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

i find that developing the abilities can actually help in the acquisition of worldly possessions, and i intend to do so. Helping others will happen along the way, but it is not my absolute main purpose.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
reply to post by ahnggk

i find that developing the abilities can actually help in the acquisition of worldly possessions, and i intend to do so. Helping others will happen along the way, but it is not my absolute main purpose.

I'd warn against such a practice, from the sound of your statement it would require that you are taking advantage of people you come in contact with.

I've never used my sensitivity to make a cent of money. I believe it is a gift that was given so their for I will return the favor.

I also would question if you have such abilities because empaths tend to be very caring and compassionate, not out to see how much money they can make off the gift they have.

As a empath your statement seems really off key and disturbing.

This seems to be the cycle of threads on ATS. Something is posted, a few insightful posts,it tends to degenerate into picking a side, then the arguing begins, and nothing is accomplished.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
it looks like us crazies are coming out of the woodwork, better watch out infared man. but really special is not the right word for us, just farther along.

Can you say "Egomaniac"? ... Or how about "Pathological Narcissist"?

If you wish to continue playing 'dress-ups' and 'make-believe', then go ahead. A great accomplishment to look back on at the end of your life eh!

One thing I learned early in life as a sportsman was people who continually 'talked themselves up' to be something special were nothing they claimed to be!

Sir.. you have a classic FIGJAM complex and the only people buying it are those not worthy of note.

IRM

[edit on 6/12/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Empathy is a quality people have to varying degrees. There are those who are missing the location for empathy in their brains and so they are cruel to animals and humans. There are others who are simply low on empathy or so wrapped up in their own problems or self involved they never take the time to consider others. Still others seem to be overflowing with empathy, (think Mother Theresa)
I believe empathy can be quantified and there are those who are em paths. I know that I can make a fairly accurate character assessment (physiognomy) instantly and maybe adjust it after just a few words with most people. I can see inside the people because that is where I am looking.
Make a point to judge people by the content of their hearts and not by their outward appearance. Appearances are SO deceptive. Everyone should attempt to see deeper, and what is at the core of a person before (or if) befriending them or doing any business with them and act accordingly.
Too many people are judged by rhetoric or faces when inner character tells volumes more than both of those.
Thank you for posting an interesting topic. When I have more time I will have to read all the responses you got.

PS A side effect of empathy is you are more affected, moved by the circumstances and conditions of others...so (esp if female) you might find you cry a lot - not hormonal whining but a deep and thorough sadness for the troubles of the world and the fate of the innocents (IN IT already-to pro-life nut jobs) that can be overwhelming and painful ....but it passes and you can function as you must.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by rusethorcain]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i too have simular :abilities" i guess your calling it. ive always been able to sense others emotions, and too put myself "in one's shoes" mentally. i always thought i was "diffrent" in a way but further on i ignored it and have just lived on with it. lol. Also i have had a strong passion for the super natural, but a lot of people do/have, its interesting stuff
my communication with animals is also a bit "unusual" i can sense sometimes what they want in a way as to what they are thinking. animals adore me, cats/dogs are always approaching me. i feel like they can always sense my emotion and they kind of react to it, and stay with me until i feel better. i also have a sense of "knowing" what people are about to say or are thinking. also can tell what they might want. i can usually ALWAYS tell a lie apart. never gets past me
as for dreams, i cant never remember my dreams by the time i wake up
cause i get the whole "de ja vue" thing quite often. i too am a very kind,caring guy. i love my girlfriendmore then anything in the world and i feel we have a very good connection
alot of the times ill say something just before she was. i get a sense of what shes thinking alot, and we often tease eachother of being "mind readers"
. but all in all, i think what people are claiming as an "ability" is really just natural in humans, its our natural gift to mentally sense and feel all around us
we all have it just need to connect with our selves and focus alot on people/things. i think it has alot to do with spirituality, and being a very positive and caring person. at this point in my very young life (17) i feel as happy as i have in a long time
and i love everything lol thats all i can say. just being a very positive person can influence everything and everbody around you
and getting in touch with yourself, can help you spiritually get in touch with people/everything around you

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

it's more than an empathy...
...and you're more than a flesh and bones.

look within yourself, and you'll find the truth.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

I would say that you perceive the situation quite accurately Angus, a star for you Sir.

To those who would disagree:

Unprovoked sarcastic insults should not be used if one cannot deal with being on the receiving end of such posts themselves.

In other words, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Someone who feels the need to flame a new poster for no reason whatsoever does not come across as a person with a healthy amount of self respect. It's just a form of bullying and I should probably stop here because if I were to continue to describing the bully personality type in detail I would probably be accused of being one myself.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

At 16, even since i was 3 or 4, I've always felt "different" than my peers. As a result I have struggled socially. I have had constant ups and downs. The last few months have been a spiritual awakening for me, as I try to find what makes me different. One thing that makes me different is that I have had a strong passion for the supernatural, even at a young age. I'm also an avid daydreamer.

Hey there!

Same story here. I was having OBEs as a young child. I would float up my bedroom wall - - and like a 4/5 year old I feared bumping my head on the ceiling. But then it just disappeared and I was in the sky looking at stars. I do remember flying around the neighborhood and seeing friends asleep in their beds. Eventually a tall man in a white robe appeared to me in the "safe place" I would go to. He grounded me and told me I could not leave my body again - because I wanted to return to the spirit world - - and he said I had to stay in the physical world.

The point of telling you that - - - is I personally know there is more going on then meets the eye.

I was a weird kid - I always felt like I got dropped off on the wrong planet. Reading comments on my grade school report cards is quite telling.

I am an energy Empath. I really didn't realize how much it affected me until I moved to the desert on 2 acres. Being some what isolated now - - lets me reflect on how invasive other peoples (and inanimate things) were to my energy.

What I will say to you is Don't buy in to hype. Don't listen to others or read a lot of in-depth material (beware of false prophets). Meditate and listen to your own guides. Listen - Listen - Listen

Take it slow. As in proven science - - - pay attention to repeat experiences.

And most important - - - ignore the naysayers and rude skeptics.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedi_hamster

it's more than an empathy...
...and you're more than a flesh and bones.

look within yourself, and you'll find the truth.

SEE - AGAIN . . . look within yourself, and you'll find the truth.

If you do read something that resonates with you - - - take it and meditate on it. Don't accept any outside source knows more then you know yourself.

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 6-12-2009 by Annee]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I was almost done with this thread but I feel its taken off into other directions and has just proved the point I made in my first reply- people obviously have some internal mechanism that makes them hostile toward those who have a gift for reading people. I feel it's a subconscious reflex- a sort of defense against intrusion. The mixture of hostility and ridicule is fascinating and really shows us just how bad people can be to each other.
To the haters, I'm sorry our existence bothers you. Not one of us "empaths" (again, nothing superhuman) asked for this. This trait only seems to make things harder and life becomes more of a conflict than it should be. We are truly on the "fringe" of society and that's a damned shame because there are some of us (not everyone least of all myself) who really have a lot to offer to society.
An interesting experiment would be to check these peoples' posts and see how many hateful things they've written before this thread- I am willing to bet some of them have some pretty negative things to say about people of color, homosexuals, overweight people (just had to add it), etc. But this is just a hypothesis and doesn't apply to all.
I too have been guilty of jumping on the hater bandwagon but I'm also man enough to express regret when corrected and am always willing to hear a good argument. Not one of you has shown any sense of open mindedness or explained exactly what your meaningless hate posts do for you on a personal level. You hide behind a paltry defense of the credibility of ATS and resort to childish name calling.
It's probably of little relevance to the situation but I believe it applies nonetheless, a man named Dr. Hynek told another man named Carl Sagan on the Dick Cavett show some 40 years ago that "ridicule is not part of the scientific method and should not be taught that it is"

[edit on 6-12-2009 by R0BCROW75]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Hey! Im on the same exact level as you. I cant tell you how great it feels to know others feel the same as I do. Im a little bit older than you and have had time to reflect on the abillities a little longer. To anyone reading this thinking that what the OP was trying to do is make themselves seem "better" than you, then your wrong. I have not once in my life felt better than anyone. In fact I have felt quite the contrary but I have nothing but love and genuine concern in my heart for mankind. There will always be naysayers in this life and you just have to not let them make you feel like your crazy cause honestly by social norms and mores you are a little crazy. Ill take being "crazy" any day of the week over being "normal." What normal seems to be these days is: self centered, self indulgent, fat, lazy, gimme gimme gimme, take take take, sheeplike mentallity that I will never accept as a norm for me (to each his own). So you should take this gift as blessing and don't let others drag you down. The moment I decided to do things my way for my own good was the day the headache and worry and depression all went floating away. Most importantly though just try and remain as humble as you can. People are going to seek advice from you till you die and theres nothing you can do about it. Do your best to see that you show humillity and love to everyone you come across because thats what your here for.
p.s. look up astral projection. Empaths seem to be good at it, but do it where you can get a full nights rest because its really exhausting. It helped me realize I have a gift maybe it will for you too!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join