Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Am I an empath? How extensive are my abilities?

page: 2
25
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Your statements are very intelligent, well thought out, seemingly sincere and mature. I applaud you for what appears to be a lot of searching within yourself and research on the subjects you've mentioned. This level of maturity is not seen very often in a 16 year old...

I especially applaud the fact that you seek to utilize your gifts in helping others...


Also, how could I work on extending my abilities to calm someone else? I don't even think about influencing emotions, I just do it subconsciously, but how could I do it consciously?


You have a beautiful head on your shoulders and a wonderful gift... I wish I had the knowledge of these things to help you but can only give you encouragement. Thank you and please don't get discouraged... the world needs more people like you.


Thank you. I've always been what you would call an "old soul". I have always been more mature and logical than my peers, and actually get along better with adults than kids my age.




posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
Nice first thread.

You remind me enough of me that you must be an empath.
I have a few ideas for you.
Write down whatever comes to mind when you wake up first thing in the morning. It helps dream recall and it stimulates creativity.
And the next idea might be a bit out there; but all my ideas are, anyway

People tell you their problems , right? They tell you things they wouldn't tell anyone else and I theorize it's because they can sense (subconsciously I would say) that you are an empath much in the same way people do that with me.
Want to cut down on people hating you?
Being an empath 101 ; stop listening to their problems.
I'm telling you it works. Don't be an a@#hole with people , but stop listening as if you were their therapist.
I began telling close friends recently that their negative stories are constant within our conversations because of my ability to listen to them. I told them to a certain extent that it's unfair. I don't do that to them.
And they stopped doing it.
Also think about this. Problems socially to a certain extent? Indeed, because once these people who have pored their hearts out to you while in your presence/energy leave you and go back to their lives they often panic and ask themselves "why in the world did I just tell him that?"
They are often so feaked out about it that they suddenly treat you differently than before; a bit more standoffish.
Am I right?
I know I am. It's a lot to process. But I'm certain that being an empath is a gift once you learn to control your mind. Good luck
Flag for you


I've actually started writing those things down recently, but thanks for the suggestion. I've gotten a few good sci-fi/fantasy book ideas from my dreams, lol!

I do feel like people just pour out their feelings to me. Sometimes i feel like i'm a human pillow. Maybe because i'm a calming influence? I don't have very many friends, but once i get to know people, 1X1 they seem to be very comfortable telling me anything.

I probably do have to stop listening to people's problem's. It's just that i want to help people as much as i can. is there a way to block out certain people, while still helping many?



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
reply to post by Aoxoa
 


so how do you expect to pull me back to earth. I'm much farther along than him and i aint stoppin any time soon. Believing is your choice. I dont know if he is or not. But i do know that he can be given the benefit of the doubt until he has been proven to not be one. I could test him but thats not my place to do so.


Oh.. Now I get it... Your much further along than him, and you 'aint stoppin any time soon'...

Wow and here I was thinking there was loopy people about, but nope... Not a circle or triangle as far as the eye can see. You have my absolute confindence in your abilities. Once you test him, give us the results =D

EDIT: Oh just happens i've a spare crystal ball and some eyes of newt lying about. Ill send em to ya!


[edit on 6-12-2009 by Aoxoa]



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
reply to post by mossme89
 


so you are saying you can 'see' their emotions. I say see as there is no words in english to describe the experience. Sure our mirror neurons in our brain fire, allowing us to 'experience' their emotions, but that does not allow us to discern their happening. It cant be the whole story. So i say 'see' as that is how i feel when i talk to someone for the first time and i am already predicting their actions and thoughts.


EXACTLY. Words can't really describe it, because many people don't understand it. It's like a cross between "smelling", "tasting", and "seeing". Maybe the best description is that it's like an instant intuition and knowledge of a person.


Oh, and guys, please stop arguing. I am not trying to label myself so i can walk around and be like "I'm better than you because i'm an empath!!!" I just want to know if there are others similiar to me, and if they have any suggestions to use my gifts for the GREATER GOOD. Not ego.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What I am trying to say is everyone would like to think of themselves as unique and special. In some senses, we all are.
What you are saying just comes across as a bit arrogant and dorky and delusional and naive and not at all unusual or unique. Truly insightful people do not post on internet forums giving themselves grandiose labels. Truly insightful people just find a job/way of living which suits their temperament.
It's the difference between calling oneself 'an empath' and recognising that you have an empathic nature.
There are millions of people made this way. They just don't call themselves 'empaths' ffs.


[edit on 6-12-2009 by unicorn1]



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89
 


After reading your post i'd say that you probably are an Empath and possibly have other abilities too which will show themselves to you when it is time....

I have discovered through time that i have these Psychic abilities:

Divination
ESP
Empathy

You are young and have many years to define your Abilities.... you will have to learn how to deal with it and at the same time keep yourself Healthy!!

S+F


[edit on 6-12-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
reply to post by mossme89
 


so you are saying you can 'see' their emotions. I say see as there is no words in english to describe the experience. Sure our mirror neurons in our brain fire, allowing us to 'experience' their emotions, but that does not allow us to discern their happening. It cant be the whole story. So i say 'see' as that is how i feel when i talk to someone for the first time and i am already predicting their actions and thoughts.


EXACTLY. Words can't really describe it, because many people don't understand it. It's like a cross between "smelling", "tasting", and "seeing". Maybe the best description is that it's like an instant intuition and knowledge of a person.


Oh, and guys, please stop arguing. I am not trying to label myself so i can walk around and be like "I'm better than you because i'm an empath!!!" I just want to know if there are others similiar to me, and if they have any suggestions to use my gifts for the GREATER GOOD. Not ego.


Hey your right I can see emotions too... When I see someone cry, I instantly think "Their sad...", and when I see them laughing I think "Oh there happy".

Yes I know only us gifted folk can notice things like this but thats because we are special snowflakes and no one can tell us otherwise.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
By any chance are you a pieces? From what you described you seem to fit the profile.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by mossme89
 


After reading your post i'd say that you probably are an Empath and possibly have other abilities too which will show themselves to you when it is time....

I have discovered through time that i have these Psychic abilities:

Divination
ESP
Empathy

You are young and have many years to define your Abilities.... you will have to learn how to deal with it and at the same time keep yourself Healthy!!

S+F


[edit on 6-12-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

How did you learn to use your abilities? What are you able to do?


Originally posted by calstorm
By any chance are you a pieces? From what you described you seem to fit the profile.

actually, i'm a taurus, but a very mellow one. B-day: may, 6 1993.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
"Empaths" are hypersensitive i.e. they have extreme thinking, feeling and behavior. When their neurons are firing fast they feel very good - very connected to people and their surroundings. They can feel grandiose/superior. However when their neurons are firing slowly they often feel disconnected, depressed and anxious. Low self-esteem and inferiority may develop.
People tend to love or hate "empaths" because of their very good or very bad behavior. "Empaths" tend to forget the effects of their bad behavior on others when feeling good. Because "empaths" are hypersensitive they must look after their thoughts and feelings and try to maintain midline thinking/feeling.
Examples of this are
Saying "no" instead of "yes" all of the time when asked for help/for favours i.e. controlling your altruism.
Listening and saying "I dont know" instead of giving advice all of the time.
Surrounding yourself with positive people deliberately and avoiding negative people.
Watching out for overuse of mind-altering substances such as alcohol/drugs as "empaths" may be hypersensitive to alcohol/drugs.
By being careful with your abilities and knowing your strengths and weaknesses you can try to avoid "burn-out" - always a risk with "empaths". They can be their worst enemy.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89
 


i argue for the sake of arguing. i find it fun.
The people i argue with not so much. And you are not alone. From the way you describe it, you seem to be like me.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89
 


How did you learn to use your abilities?

Well to tell you the truth i still get some problems with mine... there can be a lot of confusion at times especially as i'm an Empath too so apart from seeing things i also feel things and this sometimes confuses my brain! However i need Space to be able to expand myself but where i live it's very difficult to do that although i try.... if you live in area where there is freedom (meaning hills, greenland or mountains) i'd say you have more of a chance to expand on your abilities.... being around Wildlife helps a lot... being around negativity doesn't.

What are you able to do?

I recieve images of things that are about to happen like flashes of a plane crash or someone commiting suicide or a bombing about to take place but as i say it's not honed 100% so the visions can get a little confusing.... my perception of others is excellent... i know when i'm being looked at or followed (true i get followed on occasion, not sure who they are or what they want). At times i feel i can read others minds which too can get me down or up depending on what i recieve. I've also seen things otherworldy and feel that i'm being chosen for something.... don't know what yet but maybe time will tell.....



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1
 


your telling me to get a job fitting this temperament like a circus carney (palm reader)? i am going college merely because our society has dictated it. I will put my abilities to use as a networker and then get a good job because of that network. Later i will expand the network as far as it will go and see what happens.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aoxoa
 


you are missing the point. laughter does not denote happiness and crying does not necessarily denote sadness. But that is a different argument for a different day.

I am talking about just talking to a person. No visible emotions to be seen but we know what a person is thinking. They dont have to say, but we can tell.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
At some point, you need to limit what you allow into your consciousness. Mostly, it is their personal trauma that hits you first. They wear it as an invisible mantle. You meet a person and rather than being in the moment, automatically remembering their name or following small talk, your mind is whirling away, picking up info from them that perhaps they would never tell you in a million years--info that you should EVER bring up without an understanding first with them. Perhaps sometimes it is something they don't even know about themselves. Rarely will it be positive impressions you gain, perhaps something such that they had been abused at some point in their early lives, that sort of thing. It is often an indirect gaining of a concept of who they are at the core and not the individual talking to you at that instant.

There is a strong personal danger in absorbing that which you don't need or want. Basically, there is a blocking method you can develop so you don't learn what you don't need. I can't tell you how to do it, but it is possible. Work at it. Finally, work on yourself and see if you can trace back the reason for this capacity so you can better understand yourself and, thus, better deal with it all on a conscious level.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hi I've been a very long time "lurker" for many many years I only posted anonymously only once about the TR-3B craft years a go (which exists) . My background I’m a 51 year old retired US Navy engineer still working for the US Navy as a civilian now. I’m currently in Charleston SC working and live in Chesapeake VA. I just read your posting and had to join and say my 2 cents worth. I also have a very strong empathic abilities. I like yourself noticed them at a young age and felt very awkward in public or group situations . High school was a nightmare for me. I Also feel very close to animals and can call it what you wish,.. their thoughts…Dr Dolittle I guess ,…. not “hey how are you” but basic fears and emotions fear, hunger, danger, curiousness,…when on rare occasion I get time to walk in the woods I can usually tell you where and some times… what type (generally ,.. predator or prey) of animal are around before you can see them.. within 50 feet or so ( I suppose I would make a good hunter my father was very into hunting maybe I get it from him).. I only have to be within about 75-100 feet of the person (even with their back facing to me or through walls… explain that one ..) and can tell you what they are thinking and their personality type… again pretty much any emotion , hunger, nervousness, compassion, anger, among the easier ones they are thinking at that time . I’m NEVER wrong >>ever never>quickly you



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am somewhat empathic myself, so your post makes much sense to me. I remember when I was around 18 years old (I am 41 years old now), I was having severe anxiety attacks, and feeling other people's emotions and pain too strongly. My mom to me to a clinic and the doctor wanted to put me on medicine for them. My father took me to an elder who spoke with me about what I was feeling.
He asked me to place my hand in front of my solar plexus, hold it there, then turn my hand with my palm facing outward, as if to deflect or shield something. The anxiety left quickly. You can try this and see if it helps in other situations for which you feel other people's emotions and pain strongly. Taking all of this on to yourself can make you feel ill. Get a fire agate and wear this around your neck, hanging the stone where it's over your solar plexus.



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
Nice first thread.

You remind me enough of me that you must be an empath.
I have a few ideas for you.
Write down whatever comes to mind when you wake up first thing in the morning. It helps dream recall and it stimulates creativity.
And the next idea might be a bit out there; but all my ideas are, anyway

People tell you their problems , right? They tell you things they wouldn't tell anyone else and I theorize it's because they can sense (subconsciously I would say) that you are an empath much in the same way people do that with me.
Want to cut down on people hating you?
Being an empath 101 ; stop listening to their problems.
I'm telling you it works. Don't be an a@#hole with people , but stop listening as if you were their therapist.
I began telling close friends recently that their negative stories are constant within our conversations because of my ability to listen to them. I told them to a certain extent that it's unfair. I don't do that to them.
And they stopped doing it.
Also think about this. Problems socially to a certain extent? Indeed, because once these people who have pored their hearts out to you while in your presence/energy leave you and go back to their lives they often panic and ask themselves "why in the world did I just tell him that?"
They are often so feaked out about it that they suddenly treat you differently than before; a bit more standoffish.
Am I right?
I know I am. It's a lot to process. But I'm certain that being an empath is a gift once you learn to control your mind. Good luck
Flag for you


I've actually started writing those things down recently, but thanks for the suggestion. I've gotten a few good sci-fi/fantasy book ideas from my dreams, lol!

I do feel like people just pour out their feelings to me. Sometimes i feel like i'm a human pillow. Maybe because i'm a calming influence? I don't have very many friends, but once i get to know people, 1X1 they seem to be very comfortable telling me anything.

I probably do have to stop listening to people's problem's. It's just that i want to help people as much as i can. is there a way to block out certain people, while still helping many?

That's cool, man; I like sci-fi too.
I know they are comfortable telling you anything. Just make sure they tell you the positive things about themselves as well; that way they won't be scared of you/themselves for the things they have told you.
Also make sure that you talk yourself. Conversation is an exchange of words. You get to speak too, ya know

The best advice I can give you , bro is to talk to females.
I'm not the best example to follow but in my own case I often talk to females about empathy. They are all quite attuned to it.
I often joke with them that I have the masculine version of women's intuition. They always laugh, but they get ; they know I'm being serious.
Try it on your female friends, man. Ask them what they think about your having the masculine version of "female intuition"
They will probably laugh and you might just start an interesting conversation



posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by militantt_athiest
 


very good points, the animals, the lie detector, the other empaths especially. Some of them dont even realize. I dont tell them, hoping that they will awaken in the safe, gradual way.

And Dragonmusic is very right, girls/women/ladies what ever you want to call them do understand more readily.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by guidanceofthe third kind]






top topics



 
25
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join