It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosby tells it like it is...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Link

Bill Cosby went on a rant at the Constitution Hall bash in Washington commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision.He really pissed off some people.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Bill made some good points but left out the fact that all colors have the same issues.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
COSBY ROCKS!! I have always loved his humor and the truth in it. He AINT kidding

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
He should read this thread ...
What's wrong with ebonics

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
Bill made some good points but left out the fact that all colors have the same issues.

Good point factfinder. I hope that his remarks don't lead to him being shunned by the African American community. Everyone (of all races) should listen to what he has to say about this but I fear that after this, he'll be dismissed as an old kook.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Cosby is 100% correct. Alot of the black kids I grew up with were ignorant. Some of the white kids were too, and a few Spanish but anyway. Their parents would buy them $500 skateboards and other crap, and while they listend to rap their brains rotted away. Everyone in every single damn race should here what Cosby said, he is a very funny nice man and is 100% on this issue. Our future and some I grew up with cannot even speak a sentance with using "like" "#" or using ebonics. Its sickening.

I was made fun of sometimes for the music I listend too which were groups like Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, Meatloaf, KISS, and other bands from the 70s, and 80s. I did'nt have 500 dollar skateboards or bikes, even though my parents could buy me them. But I do have my education which is taking me places while they smoke pot, and steal beer off of trucks.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I grew up listening to rap exclusively when I was a kid and I dare say that my education wasn't lacking. Its more than just rap music.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It also goes with the parents Colonel, what I am saying is that their parents don't give a damn about what they do, yours probaly raised you right.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I would like to think that they did. However, speaking with a friend who is a teacher, that, the fact that parents aren't taking a more actiove role in their child's life, seems to be a major problem. He says that its not ALL black students. The parents of black students from Africa and the West Indies seem to do well in school because they really stress education. Unfortuantely, that can't be said for American black students.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think the parents care -- but I do think that peer pressure has a lot to do with it. It's no fun being the weird kid with the megasized vocabulary... you're likely to get beaten up and picked on (and I bet there's more here than just me who can attest to that. It doesn't matter what race you are. Being an "egghead" is not something that society admires.)

A friend of mine teaches school here in a poor area of Dallas, and she says she's concerned about the image that kids get of themselves from music and movies. It's not unusual for a guy to refer to a girl as a "ho" and call a woman a (term for female dog that the board isn't going to let me type) and so forth. It drives the attitude that women are only of worth as a prize to have sex with... and doesn't encourage education or self-respect.

On the contrary hand, my manager (and one of my teammates) are both Black, and they speak well, are well educated, and they're all over their kids about behavior and mannerisms and education. My manager's having a harder time with his sons... peer pressure seems to be luring them into some behaviors he doesn't like.

So let's not blame the parents. A lot of them are struggling very hard to do a good job. But sometimes (as all of you who are parents know) it's hard to fight social and peer mores.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I've seen bad parents,white and black. Honestly, I've seen alot of black mothers try to raise their kids right, while their dads are the ones who don't care. But its not always like that. My parents cared what I saw, sure sometimes I'd see a very violent movie, or one with lots of nudity but it did'nt warp me since they got me right in the other departments.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I think the parents care -- but I do think that peer pressure has a lot to do with it. It's no fun being the weird kid with the megasized vocabulary... you're likely to get beaten up and picked on (and I bet there's more here than just me who can attest to that. It doesn't matter what race you are. Being an "egghead" is not something that society admires.)

Well, I was more afraid of my father's belt than any peer pressure that I got. However, i just came across this article that may shed some light on the problem:

Report: 'New Apartheid' Grips Southern U.S. Schools
Blacks, Latinos Not Adequately Trained, Report Says

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A report says a "new apartheid" is gripping southern education in the United States -- less visible, but equally as lethal as the old form that once ruled South Africa.

The report says the fastest-growing population segments of blacks and Latinos are not being adequately trained for the south's growth and prosperity.
www.wpxi.com...

So, no, its not JUST the parenting, athough its a part of the problem.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I would like to think that they did. However, speaking with a friend who is a teacher, that, the fact that parents aren't taking a more actiove role in their child's life, seems to be a major problem. He says that its not ALL black students. The parents of black students from Africa and the West Indies seem to do well in school because they really stress education. Unfortuantely, that can't be said for American black students.

You're right on here man, and I rarely agree with you. The thing is, that most immigrants are MUCH more motivated that Americans - be it blacks, whites, or who ever. I would imagine the fact that many black children in America lack both a mother and father in their daily life may play a role also - every kid (especially boys) need positive fathers in their life, and from what I have seen, it seems that many black kids don't have this.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Bravo for Cosby, I am a teacher in the south and it is some serious issues with education but you are not allowed to discuss that because you will loose your job.
And is true this children must of them from welfare homes they dont have money to buy paper or pencils but they sure can affore fubu and other brand names clothing and shoes.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A man who had an illegetimate child and neglected to take care of her has no right to tell anyone else how to live their lives. I'm talking about Bill Cosby, Strom Thurman and anyone else who wants us to do as they say not as they do.

top topics

join