It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standing in Someone Else’s Shoes, Almost for Real

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

From the outside, psychotherapy can look like an exercise in self-absorption. In fact, though, therapists often work to pull people out of themselves: to see their behavior from the perspective of a loved one, for example, or to observe their own thinking habits from a neutral distance.

Link

This could be a good thing, or a bad thing. I think that if someone gets murdered. putting that murderer in their shoes would show them how it felt to be scared to death, and how it feels to be murdered.. and of course it could be a bad thing too....there is always something bad out of any situation. But for the most part I think this is pretty fascinating.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
from my experience this is one of the only catalysts for TRUE inner change that lasts.
i've seen this true for other people and for myself. i can say though, the examples i speak of were never achieved through counseling or psychotherapy...just introspection.
though one was just for a friend going though a bad breakup, had a life changing 'vision' if you want to call it that and his destructive tendencies went with the vision. what did he see? a previous life in the shoes of his ex, as in he was a woman with an emotionally abusive and then some husband and felt how it felt to live that life. they are back together and happy as can be.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
That is good to hear. I really do think this is a good idea. Like you said it can be a life changing experience for someone.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
this would be effective but scary. With advancements in modern technology, and artificial realities, it would only be a matter of time.

This brings new meaning to the saying "how would you feel if that was you?"

top topics

join