It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cannot get rid of this virus. Please help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So I've caught this virus/malware type thing on my computer. I tried running spyware removers and avira antivirus and it didn't help. I thought it might be the Vundo virus and I downloaded a fixvundo.exe program from symantec which seemed to work for a few minutes but all symptoms came back.

I get annoying pop-ups every couple minutes including the "breaking news google hiring from home" one. I cannot access my gmail account because it says the security certificate is unknown so it seems the virus is trying to steal my password or private emails...and any remedies I look up on any search engines..well the virus has it so that any search results I click on lead me to sites like uniqsearch8.com and other garbage. It truly is ridiculous. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Sorry if I am saying the obvious but have you tried booting up and scanning in safe mode?
Free tech advice available here
www.gadget-detective.moonfruit.com...

[edit on 5-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If you can't get rid of it you will have to use your Windows restore cds/dvds and format your hard drive and do a clean install. It sucks but its a 100% way of getting rid of malware, spyway, viruses, trojans and worms off your system. If you download stuff off torrent sites you might be getting it that way.

Java Run Time Environment has a cache file too, if you have Java installed open your Java configuration program and disable caching because it can get trojans that way too. AVG anti virus picked up a trojan file in my Java cache.

I might also suggest dual boot with Linux because Linux really has no viruses targeted against it and you can get the operating system for free.

Try www.ubuntu.com or www.mandriva.com as they are two easy to use Linux distributions as well as www.linuxmint.com they all have live cds so you can try it before you install it. It's worth checking out. I use Mandriva myself as well as Windows 7.

Best of luck. Here is the download for AVG try it first.

free.avg.com...

and Ad Aware

www.lavasoft.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by comm12

Try running ComboFix. I've found it to be Quite helpful with these type nuisance infestations.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Download this

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

If that down loads but won't run, try right clicking the icon and renaming it something else.

You might have to use a flash drive and down load it from a different computer, once you down load it on the flash drive, rename it something like "newtoy".

Then use the flash drive on the infected pc, run the program.

Lots of good advice here on getting rid of these virus'

Cnet Forums - The pop up that killed my PC

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
hey guys...thanks for the help but it seems i'm too late. it has corrupted my computer and now windows won't even boot up. looks like I'm going to have to re-format my hard drive and re-install windows. i'm just bummed because i haven't backed up my work in a while and i'm going to lose a month's worth of writings/art/and music. ughhh. is there any way i can save any of the files before i do this? i was able to use a boot disk and in DOS I have access to my external hard drive as F: Any way I can copy the files I want to save off of C on to me external drive through DOS before I format? any help at all would be appreciated...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Use a linux boot distro as some have recommended. Boot from the iso, then mount something to copy your data to. Your windows stuff will appear via the distro. Do not copy any executables or DLL's over, even then re-scan whatever you copy to be certain.

brill

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks for your help guys. Brill, thank you especially I booted with Linux and was able to recover all my files before formatting. Now I know.

top topics

join