It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One problem with the 2012 movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Sorry to make yet ANOTHER thread about this awful movie, but I felt like this needed to be addressed.
Im sure all you physics buffs out there were also left scratching your heads a few hours after getting your heads around the theosis of Continental Shift and how this mass could create Global MegaTsunami's.

Well im about to DISPEL that thesosis. And heres why..

The entire continental landmasses all shifted at the same time, therefore you had relative amount of mass move which would have equaled itself out via the amount of displacement it had already shifted by. What was created was destroyed, so it was all balanced out.
Think of it like a Bathtub, if you splash your hand in the water it'll create a wave, but if you move the entire Bathtub at the same time (the entire mass), it'll hardly ripple the water. This is what 2012 was saying, yet the MegaTsunami's still occured against all of the Laws of Physics.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
i nearly wet myself when they bumped into mount everest ha ha do you know how much water that is, it was a joke.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i think the movie is far fetched, but possible. think of it, the earths crust is miles thick. when surveying, we only look so far down. we don't survey all the way through the crust, so there could be huge caverns beneath the crust that we are on aware of. plus with the constant heating and cooling of the crust would cause stress fractures, anyone in the northeast can vouch for that, its just like a giant pot hole. so i think it is plausible but not the most feasible.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Think of it like a Bathtub, if you splash your hand in the water it'll create a wave, but if you move the entire Bathtub at the same time (the entire mass), it'll hardly ripple the water. This is what 2012 was saying, yet the MegaTsunami's still occured against all of the Laws of Physics.

And what would happen when the bathtub suddenly stops? The water will not.

The 2012 movie was supposed to be stupid. First impressions stick, and now if you try talking to someone about 2012 who hasn't heard of it before but has seen the movie, they're going to laugh at you. Bearing that in mind, it was very cleverly made.

Originally posted by iwannaseethisshipgodown
i nearly wet myself when they bumped into mount everest ha ha do you know how much water that is, it was a joke.

Not very much water, considering how much is on this planet. But the movie was a joke.

[edit on 5/12/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

have you ever carried a bucket full of water? that water sloshes around alot. we assume the earth cant do things like this because it is so much bigger and more solid than us. we live on it. we cant conceive that something stable enough for us to live on isngt stable enough to stay together. we have an ego too big for this planet.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It sounds like some of you guys are forgetting the fact that this was a movie ... not a documentery.

Chill.

If/when the real thing happens you'll be too busy to worry about the finer details of physics ... that will be left to the experts.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Another thing is, surely given the number of +9 Earthquakes across the world, the Earth would always constantly be "ringing" like a Bell, thus until the Earths crust absorbs all those shock waves as a result of the magnifying Earthquakes, the ground would constantly be in a state of Shock.

It wouldnt matter if you was in Africa, Antartica or Timbuktu, there would still be continous Earthquake swarms.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
It sounds like some of you guys are forgetting the fact that this was a movie ... not a documentery.

Chill.

If/when the real thing happens you'll be too busy to worry about the finer details of physics ... that will be left to the experts.

Yes, but what if?

Listen, your whole point is incorrect in assuming that the earth's crust had stayed the same shape. Remember the ending? The highest mountain peak was now in Africa.

I could include a picture if you would like.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The theory of continental displacement was that mass displacement is what caused the Tsunami to occur.
However in the movie what was created in Africa (the Uplifting) was destroyed in CA. so theoretically the displacement although moving 1000 miles, in terms of general mass overall in continental size was equal to the same geometric size as it was before.
Tsunami's can only be created when a body of mass displaces the water, but if that same amount of mass has equalled it out, then how could that energy displacement have occured?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
here's another problem . . .

what for it . . .

NOTHINGS GONNA HAPPEN!!!

god i thought this was going to bee a good thread dispelling the whole thing but no.

the whole thing is EXACTLY like Y2K. just because the mayan calender does not go past the winter solstice of 2012, omg, the world has got to end!!
y2k came around because no computer had a date past 2000. but did anything happen, NO!!!!
probably the main reason it ends is because the mayans all disappeared before they could finish it.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Tsunami's can only be created when a body of mass displaces the water, but if that same amount of mass has equalled it out, then how could that energy displacement have occured?

not a body of mass, seismic activity causes tsunamis.
second line

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
2012 movie have brainwashing people and make 2012 non-believers think more about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre

what for it . . .

NOTHINGS GONNA HAPPEN!!!

god i thought this was going to bee a good thread dispelling the whole thing but no.

the whole thing is EXACTLY like Y2K. just because the mayan calender does not go past the winter solstice of 2012, omg, the world has got to end!!
y2k came around because no computer had a date past 2000. but did anything happen, NO!!!!
probably the main reason it ends is because the mayans all disappeared before they could finish it.

In fairness, the calender ends on the day of a solar/galactic allignment.

Lot more to it than the calender.

S

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre

what for it . . .

NOTHINGS GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Just because you don't believe something will happen, it doesn't mean it won't happen. Sure there are misconceptions and misinterpretations, but it's silly to expect nothing. There are many compelling arguments for and against the whole idea, so I suggest you actually research the topic before posting about it. The doomsday prediction and the calender ending are actually separate from one another.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
2012 is a movie purely for entertainment purposes only. I was not that impressed with it.

A lot of things in it were unrealistic but that's Hollywood.

I did laugh at the part that showed Queen Elizabeth and her little dogs scurrying for the "arks".

[edit on 8-12-2009 by elaine]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I find it funny that people think that if something does happen, it has to be doom and gloom.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
displacement - acceleration - deceleration - kinetic - synchronized
Whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
"To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

What else can we say about fluid flow? We know Newton's 2nd law of Motion:

"Rate of Change of Momentum = Force"
or
"Net force acting on a system = time rate of change of momentum of system"

Note units:
Momentum = mass x velocity
= density x volume x velocity
= density x area x distance x velocity

Momentum per unit time = density x velocity x velocity x area

Even if everything moved at the exact same time,
The water would rise, the water would fall and continue to do so until reaching a state of rest.
How great the rise would be is dependent upon the intital thrust / event.

IMHO

spell.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Another thing is, surely given the number of +9 Earthquakes across the world, the Earth would always constantly be "ringing" like a Bell, thus until the Earths crust absorbs all those shock waves as a result of the magnifying Earthquakes, the ground would constantly be in a state of Shock.

It wouldnt matter if you was in Africa, Antartica or Timbuktu, there would still be continous Earthquake swarms.

Hey man, Timbuktu is in Africa yet you added it after adding Africa. Sorry to be so technical but you could have used a term like "Bumf*ck Idaho" instead of Timbuktu. That being said, the movie was just that.... a MOVIE. I enjoyed it because it was entertaining. It was a big letdown when they didn't concentrate enough on the prophecies of 2012. The Yellowstone eruption was the best scene though. They should have added the New Madrid fault quake under the Mississippi too.

top topics

join