It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think local, not Global

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yesterday i was reading an article regarding the Denmark island of Samso. 10 years ago the island community started investing in renewable energies and other green technology’s.

The small island farming community now produces so much energy, through the use of wind turbines, that they sell the excess back to the mainland.

Read about it here...

www.dailyreckoning.co.uk...

www.thesun.co.uk...

The thing about this, that most excited me, was not the technology that they employ but the philosophy behind it...

Think local, not global!!!

It makes so much sense...

We are always being told about the global implications of CO2 emissions and are always being shown images of big corporates working towards greener solution etc... This is all well and good but i believe it can also make us somewhat detached from the problem.

If we keep focussing on the "global" problems and "global solutions" then people will fill disconnected and/or overwhelmed by the issues.

To quote Soren Hanmansen...

In Britain you have quite an old-fashioned approach, When you want to build turbines, the Government asks for bids and a giant company or an investment bank will put up the money.

But the local people never get any benefits, so when the turbines are installed the people who live around them come to hate them.

"Here we persuaded people that if there were going to be changes, they would have a stake in them.

Now we have changed. When people hear the sound of turbines here it is like the sweet noise of money in the bank

It’s so true!!! If local communities got together and looked at local solutions then everybody (except the greedy corporates) is a winner. The local people get free, clean energy... the environment get les CO2.

How simple and how great!

Maybe to change attitudes we need to change focus... concentrate on what people can do locally... give them solutions that they can actually contribute to and benifit from... and show people what they can gain rather than loose!!

Please remember, before responding to this post, that this is not a thread to discuss whether or not you believe in manmade climate change... there are plenty of threads already up and running where you can do that.

I just wanted to show you this small island and how much they have achieved... plus the philosophy they have adopted.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
"Think local, not global!!! "

Yes, and a tax is not the right solution !

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
S&F

I cannot even think of how many times I have said local, local, local.

In everything we do.

Get the mega corps out of the equation.

Get big gov out of the equation.

Think local, not Global. GREAT CALL.

quoting myself from another site today-

8) Mega Corporations-I cannot stress this enough, local, local, local. Removing smaller companies is the number one detriment to our country. If you need an example, look at the USSR problems of the past. Monopolies are not capitalistic, they are a detriment to our society! GM and Chrysler should be broken up. Just as our federal government's monopolistic endeavors to date, are a PERFECT example of this. The only way a giant management entity can exist is by feeding on the smaller entities. SOUND FAMILIAR?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I think the success of mankind depends on what you are talking about. If we keep thinking global then we think of ourselves as specks of dust... one of 6 billion. If we think about what we can do for ourselves, and then for our community, then yes I think that goes a long way toward starting to solve mankinds problems... one at a time. We can't be worried about making sure six billion people are all doing their part or we'll end up like Obama... wanting to accomplish the world but getting nothing because its such an unfocused task. We have to think about simple things that help our friends and neighbors... whether or not they help out the guy in China. Not to say we can't help them too in some way just that you can normally only help one person at a time in day-to-day life.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by truthquest]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Nicely put

If you can't handle local problems, you sure as hell can't solve world problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
2nd great ATS post of the day (that I have seen anyways)

so much truth...

i don't have much to add, just wanted to say great post

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies

I would like to add that to "think local not global" does not mean forgetting about the world... just concentrating on that which you can realistically achieve without the interference of corrupt governments and corporates who have their own agenda.

If everyone sorts out their local issues then the planet would take care of itself...

Imagine if every village/town/city in the world had free and clean energy.

Another thing that I found very interesting was an article I read about how in Havana Cuba, to help combat the food crisis, they have turned every spare plot of land into mini farms.

This has now seen as much as 81,000 acres of urban land converted to food production...

What a fantastic idea... No long distance imports, no planes flying in food aid... Just fresh produce grown cheaper and locally.

Why can’t we adopt this philosophy everywhere??? Think of the benefits!

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, it had to be made.

The problem with the NWO, and the mainstream liberal media, is they've totally misunderstood the environmental movement and the hippie's message.

Yes, the hippies wanted global unity, but on a SPIRITUAL level, not a political level. In "Imagine" by John Lennon, he says, "imagine there's NO countries", not, "imagine there's ONE country".

new topics

top topics

join