It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not liking this new censor system.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This sysem removes words, instead of putting a V, or C, or O, whatever. It changes some sentances. Sometimes the sentance doesn't have the same impact, sometimes the sentance doesn't make sense. Go with got you here, man.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Is there no one there that has balls. C'mon I can't believe that this is the case. If you are willing to roll over why bother to be here? I'm not getting it, if a mod can sell me on this, kudos to you. Help, please.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
In theory, you shouldn't need the censors: www.abovetopsecret.com... 4.) You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. This applies to material posted to collaborative fiction and member short story forums. There was a wild run on swearing in chat and some threads not long ago. After people relearn that dening ignorance can occur without vulgarities, the old (c) and [v]'s will return. [Edited on 21-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The recent oveflowof bad language from the mudpit has made it's way into the other forums. Until some and many of the newer members can keep that language where it belongs, the censors will remain in place.

It wasn't an easy conclusion for staff to come to. But it was required.

*Looks at post above*
What he said.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Does this new censor apply to people that bought the �turn off censors� in the store?

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Does this new censor apply to people that bought the �turn off censors� in the store?

Yes.
It seems the option to turn them off has made the members think they can cuss more, not the case.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I don't find any word to be truly offensive, but yeah sometimes people over use them, sometimes I do, blame it on my IQ or wha'evah make others feel better.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thanks SO, do we need parents? If so we are going to be editted. We won't be able to say what we want to say.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It is not what is being said, it's how people say it.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well I don't know what you're talking about so I'll have to put it to the test if no one minds.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by John bull 1]

link   
The reasons for the censors explained here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   
hehehe, good old english slang.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sometimes # happens?

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
# # bollocks wank cock ass #

I don't think its working, I see the "offensive" words clearly, no censor?

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You need a U.K. censor.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I have to agree with David Icke.

The world is falling to pieces. We've got Americans having their heads cut up on video for all the world to see. We've got homeless in the streets wondering where the next meal is coming from. Working poor who can't afford doctors or dentists and the only thing ATS (sorry guys, I've got to say it) can complain about is cussing.

Priorities, people.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I read your words ok John Nada. Looks like you can still turn off the censors. I agree with KayEm about the cussing though - there's a lot more to be worried about with this world than a few 'naughty words'.

That said, I uderstand that certain networks (such as schools and libraries) have blockers that filter out sites with such words prominant in the pages. If this was to happen, people using those networks would be deprived of ATS if these words were used too often here.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
While I agree that censors in principle are a good thing on a board as - well, let's say as forthright - as ATS, I've got to log a personal objection to it.

On the Short Stories board, I recently began a serial called The Truth, which contains strong language. Because I'm a reponsible netizen, I placed a warning regarding the language at the very top in bold type. The problem is, the censors still delete the offending Anglo-Saxon terms and the pace of the dialogue is shot to hell.

Can I still say hell?

Is there any way the mods can turn off the censors for the story boards and mud pit without affecting the rest of the boards? If not, then I would have to humbly submit that the old system was better, and that members should be officially warned for excessive swearing. That seems more just, no?

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Some people like it raw.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
so let me see if i understand you people correctly...

you want to to be able to post any way you please on a private board?

you want to make the rules on a privately run board that doesnt bleong to you.

this is correct, yes?

that seems to be the general consensus from what i see here...

you dont like being given rules set by the owner of this board. i see.

as advisor said before its not what you say but how you say it.

now i'm expecting just about everyone on this thread to flame me. go for it. doesnt change the fact simon owns this board and makes the rules. william makes everyone, including staff aware of these rules and then we as staff enforce them. its his board and we play by his rules.

now for those who think this is trampling on your freedom of speech...tough.

that doesnt apply to something that is privately owned. if simon wants to make a rule that you cant use the letter T in your posts then guess what? thats the new rule and we have to enforce it.

this isnt romper room and most of you arent children. even those i know who are underage on this board act more mature than this. time to grow up people. things dont always go your way, especially on someone else's board. this is the attitude we are tryin to combat. this is the behavior we are trying to avoid. this is the sort of example we DONT want to project into the rest of the internet. we didnt get this large by having a happy go lucky set of rules where people are allowed to do as they please.

there are tons of other boards that allow that behavior, this isnt one of them. even when william has created forums for more "colorful" kinds of discussion people are still making such posts outside of those forums and its taking those forums down. it certainly appears to me that if you all want to insult and make vulgar posts staff shouldnt be able to tell you no thats not right, that seems to be the attitude. we're accused of being nazis over and over by the same people over and over who are still here despite their thinking we're out to get them. simply put if the admin doesnt want you here you wont be here. there is no ego trip harassment going on here. if the staff was as bad as some make us out to be, they'be IP banned by now but they arent. they're still here posting their views and opinions.

now personally i see this issue in two ways...on one level i think the censors are there for a very good reason, not everyone who comes here is an adult and not everyone who comes here wants to see people acting like children, acting out just to be acting out because they think its their right. on the other hand i use vulgarites on ocassion but i usually reserve that language for the proper forums where its MORE tolerated than on other forums on this board. its still frowned upon just the same but overlooked more often. i dont say squat about anyone cursing on BTS, the rules are more relaxed there so i tend to not enforce them unless something is way out of character for the thread its in. as for ATS the standards are higher and rightfully so. we are here to DISCUSS matters of conspiracy, not argue fight flame insult and curse at each other. i agree to disagree with anyone who has a view differing from my own, i might not like what they say or agree with it but i dont flame them for it, i dont curse them and i dont harass them. most of this behavior is being done to people who have an opposite view of how you see things, this intolerance is getting out of hand and i dont understand it. is it not ok for someone with free will and their own mind to think what they want and express their views? they're opinions, not facts and those who are bashing flaming and cursing others for merely voicing their opinions are hypocrites. in fact i know some of the people who are accusing the staff of being nazis are some of the same people who run around on this board telling other people to shut up because they dont like their views.

i'm not telling you you have to like it but thats how it is. its simon's board and if he felt like yanking the whole operation tommorow guess what? not a whole lot you people can do about it. this board offers a lot of stuff to you for free whereas other boards offer the same or less but charge you for it. william didnt have to start BTS or the ATS store or the mud pit, he didnt have to create ATS webmail for us. but he did to show his appreciation for EVERYONE's hard work at making this board what it is.

and this is the "hark work" you people give him now? i'm ashamed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join