RQ-170

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
RQ-170

This is the new UAV based at the Tonopah Test Range. Code name Desert Prowler. Of course nobody got a single shot of it while it was at Tonopah. Come on ladies and gents, let's get snooping!

Of course, Tonopah in the winter is kind of nasty.....

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Hi gariac,

Nice find, though if it was operational in 2007 doubt if it will still be around Tonopah - surely it's the next generation that will be flying flying out of there. Slightly disappointed that you haven't posted pictures of these yet? :-)

Would love to be able to snoop (even in the snow) but being in Europe doesn't really help... Think that's why so many of us appreciate your field work.

Peace!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Area 51 and Similar Places have holds tons of Sci-fi Future Technologies!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Wiki says it's been deployed over Afghanistan, make of that what you will, why spend more black budget on creating different drones? when you already have many Predator C UCAV's

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Pockets]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The General Atomics Predator-C (Avenger) made its first flight on 4 April 2009. It is not yet operational.

The Lockheed Martin RQ-170 has been operational since at least 2007 and may have flown as early as 2005.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
So I've got it all backwards then, OK, scrap the RQ-170 and beef up production on the Predator

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The new MQ-X stealth UCAV is pretty interesting! The USA military it appears to me is going bonkers over possible applications for these da@m drones. Good work as always Gariac, never let your work feel it's not being appreciated.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanLA123

Well, lets try that again. For some reason, the forum tossed by post.

I got the information on the RS-170 from the designation-systems yahoogroup.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I guess the new nickname is the "Beast of Kandahar"

The following was on the news wires yesterday, this article is from the AFP. They acknowledged it, it's mission, designation and that it's being flown by soldiers from TTR. Stands to reason they'd have some back at home to train with wouldn't it?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US Air Force on Tuesday confirmed for the first time that it is flying a stealth unmanned aircraft known as the "Beast of Kandahar," a drone spotted in photos and shrouded in secrecy. The RQ-170 Sentinel is being developed by Lockheed Martin and is designed "to provide reconnaissance and surveillance support to forward deployed combat forces," the air force said in a brief statement. The "RQ" prefix for the aircraft indicates an unarmed drone, unlike the "MQ" designation used for Predator and Reaper aircraft equipped with missiles and precision-guided bombs. Aviation experts dubbed the drone the "Beast of Kandahar" after photographs emerged earlier this year showing the mysterious aircraft in southern Afghanistan in 2007. The image suggested a drone with a radar-evading stealth-like design, resembling a smaller version of a B-2 bomber. A blog in the French newspaper Liberation published another photo this week, feeding speculation among aviation watchers about the classified drone. The air force said the aircraft came out of Lockheed Martin's "Skunk Works," also known as Advanced Development Programs, in California -- the home of sophisticated and often secret defense projects including the U-2 spy plane, the F-22 fighter jet and the F-117 Nighthawk. The photo of the drone in Afghanistan has raised questions about why the United States would be operating a stealth unmanned aircraft in a country where insurgents have no radar systems, prompting speculation Washington was using the drones for possible spying missions in neighboring Iran or Pakistan. The Sentinel was believed to have a flying wing design with no tail and with sensors built into the top side of each wing, according to published photos. The RQ-170 is in line with Defense Secretary Robert Gates' request for more intelligence and surveillance resources and with the Air Force chief of staff's plans to expand the fleet of unmanned aircraft, the air force said. The new drone is flown by the 30th Reconnaissance Squadron out of Tonopah Test Range in Nevada, which is under Air Combat Command's 432nd Wing at Creech Air Base, also in Nevada. The United States has carried out an extensive bombing campaign against Al-Qaeda figures in Pakistan using the Predator and larger Reaper drones. Robots or "unmanned systems" in the air and on the ground are now deployed by the thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, spying from the sky for hours on end, searching for booby-traps and firing lethal missiles without putting US soldiers at risk.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
30th RS Patch

Above link has the patch for the unit.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Drones are indeed, where it's at. Of course they'd have to develop newer ones as the technology ages and the enemy learns to combat it. I'm just surprised the flying hotdog(hunter) is still popular.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RyanLA123

The MQ-X is totally different. According to a spokesperson the RQ-170 won`t be offered for the MQ-X program, as it`s "too different" than the requirements for the MQ-X.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I was browsing Google Trends and queried “RQ-170” to see what geographical regions were most interested in the subject, after being acknowledged on December 4, 2009 by the USAF.

Google Trends - No Filters

Google Trends - with Filter "United States"

I found some of the results interesting. Some speculation on locations that are returned:

Las Vegas, NV: Recent flight ops were out of TTR (mostly by Palmdale folks) and perhaps initially at Yucca Lake or other, so support contractors were involved. I've run across resumes from Booz Allen Hamilton that are linked to RQ-170.

St. Louis, MO: Why so much interest? Did Phantom Works compete for this contract? Or, are they a major subcontractor to Lockheed? Perhaps it's just general industry interest.

Washington, DC: Pentagon, etc. No surprises.

San Diego, CA: General Atomics and Northrop Grumman. May tip information that GA-ASI was involved since it was operated by the same TTR group running MQ-9 Reaper missions. However, may just be general interest from GA-ASI or Northrop Grumman (Ryan Aeronautical) employees.

Richardson, TX: Raytheon has a electronics/sensors branch there, see this article. It doesn't appear the RQ-170 is used for maritime operations, but understand may be one of several sensitive programs by Raytheon. I suspect one of the RQ-170 payloads is or will be provided by them. I do recall the old RB-57s carried a missile detection system that required sensors that see above the aircraft, so that may also be a payload.

Los Angeles, CA: Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company ADP "Skunk Works" headed up system integration.

Dallas, TX: Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company HQ. Likely general interest from employees.

Atlanta, GA: Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company. Likely general interest from employees.

Montgomery, AL: Why so much interest there? USAF Maxwell AFB Air University? I noticed they report up through Air Education and Training Command at Randolph AFB, near San Antonio, TX. From another angle, there appears to be a link for the RQ-170 to the USAF ISR Agency (AFISRA) at Lackland AFB, also in San Antonio, TX. I don't know if there's a connection.

I still believe the program is smaller than we may think, and I'm not speaking just to the physical size of the platform. The logistics footprint is likely small based on resumes I’ve come across and have also read it's mostly run by Lockheed Palmdale personnel. Lockheed's not in the business of generating revenue by support contracts, so this points to a small program size as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TAGBOARD

I found the google trends interesting, though I wonder how accurately they geolocate the searchers. I've run ip2location.com from various ISPs and it never gets your location better than 50 miles.

Doing some google trends with different serch terms, I found it interesting how often the term "rendition" was searched from Vienna, Virginia.

Back to geolocating, the government and big institutions don't always get their internet from an ISP like we mere consumers do. I recall the DoD had a direct connection into Global Crossing. There was some incident that don't recall that ended up making this public knowledge, not that it was a secret. Global Crossing has a federal division:
global crossings
When you trace a lot of the federal websites, at least from the west cost, they trace back to Global Crossing in Mountain View Ca.

Along the same lines, one assumes whatever commercial phones are at Groom Lake have a foreign exchange into Vegas, i.e. 702 area code. The TTR has such 702 numbers, rather than 775.
TTR contact

I manged to come up with a phone number for basecamp and it is a 775 area code. However, doing a bit more detective work, it turns out the number goes to a cellphone of an employee at basecamp, so maybe Basecamp has 702 exchange too. Oh, and for the "minder" that reads these forums, it wasn't me that called that base camp number!

If you drive by Base Camp and check it out with binocs, they have a ground mounted Hughes satellite internet dish, Somebody apparently never read "comsec for dummies"l else they would have removed the logo from the dish. However the satellite internet at Base Camp might only be for personnel to use for private web surfing.

edit on 31-3-2011 by gariac because: fixed base camp phone number

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
And just what we've all been waiting for (or not?):

Lockheed RQ-170 1:72 Scale Paper Model

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Iran has posted a video of the captured Lockheed RQ-170. We can further solidify speculative information in regards to inlet and upper surface geometry, visual appearance and aperture detail - to name a few items.

Video: RQ-170 Captured by Iran

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm glad they did a shot with a man in front of the drone. Otherwise it looks like a small model on a stand. It's about the size I expected. Predators aren't very big either. I assume they have a light colored one for daylight flight and a black one for night flying.

It is in good shape. Nice job on the composites. Comms could use some work apparently.

Flying a drone over Iran isn't like flying a drone over some stone age country without an air force. While I doubt their claim that they landed the UAS remotely, it is quite possible they jammed the satellite link using a high flying aircraft.

The PressTV I've watched has been in English. [Trust me, the propaganda cranked up to 11 on PressTV.] I would assume an English version of this video exists.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

I saw the RQ-170 at Edwards AFB in 2006 on the ramp outside a hanger. We were flying air refueling support for the F-22 at the time. I never saw it take off, but it was definately there.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by boomer135
reply to post by Shadowhawk

I saw the RQ-170 at Edwards AFB in 2006 on the ramp outside a hanger. We were flying air refueling support for the F-22 at the time. I never saw it take off, but it was definately there.

Was it the very first time you saw it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join