It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian PM doesn't shy away from human rights in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Canadian PM doesn't shy away from human rights in China

fwix.com

Prime Minister Stephen Harper received silence from Chinese business leaders when he told them Canada would continue to bring up human rights issues and not stay quiet in exchange for stronger economic ties between the two countries.

"In relations between China and Canada, we will continue to raise issues of freedom and human rights," he in a speech in Shanghai Friday.

"Our government believes and has always believed that a mutually-beneficial economic relationship is not incompatible with a good and frank dialogue on fundamental values like freedom, human rights and the rule of law,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Good for this guy !

Good to see Mr. Harper not rolling over for the Chinese over the issue of human rights !

God knows it would have been the easy thing to do given the current economical crunch and ones desire to impress the Chinese government in hopes of achieving some financial payoff for there silence .

Once again , good for you MR Harper ! and thanks for showing a back bone !

fwix.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Yea right. Then when it comes to torturing detainees in Afghanistan or rape of little boys 'we have no proof' so lets not continue our investigation. Or when Israel invades he has no opinion. Or maybe he should pay attention to our 3rd world native reserves.

CHINA! Clean up your act! Or we might think of considering cancelling our order of crappy plastic Canucks memorabilia...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I'm certain that the Chicoms are shaking in their boots over this one. I'm sure they'll liberate all of their political prisoners and cease with the child labor.

The Chicoms would care more if the Mayor of Houston made those comments.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So he should have said nothing and been a good little subservient nation state ?

Perhaps we can also blame the next snow fall on Mr. Harper as well ?

I for one wish more nations would bring up the issue of human rights to China and not let China think that they get a free pass on this issue simply because they are one of the only nations in the black .

As for blaming thing on Mr. Harper that we have " no prof " of , I can't speak to that but perhaps if you have some info on this topic then perhaps you can make a well researched thread on the topic to bring some light to the serious issue that you have raised , other wise we are being asked to except a claim with little or no facts .

As for the " Mayor of Houston " having more pull you simply are grasping at straws on that one and have no understanding of just how rich Canada is in regards to natural resources .

Once again on the issue of Canada's PM raising the issue of human rights to the Chinese audience I say good for you !

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Those in glass houses, and all that.

Oh yep i forgot canada has a great record of human rights. lol yep right.

[edit on 12/5/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Those in glass houses, and all that.

Oh yep i forgot canada has a great record of human rights.

You must have forgotten it because we do. Too much imo. Check out damn near any article by Mark Steyn in McClean's. Our Human Rights Commissions are out of control and sanity.

As to Harper, no biggie. He score political points at home and really, does the Chinese gov't really care what he has to say?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was being sarcastic, lol. Sorry i left the smiley of my post.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Outside of calling the Chinese on their Human rights record...

This does little to change the situation in China. Does anybody think this is the first time they have been called on it? If you do then you are either young or just becoming aware of the situation. The US/West has for decades been doing so. But lately with all the Kowtowing and Prostration by the Obama administration the US has been in bed with Chicom.

Good for him.
Keep up the fight and boycott ChinaMart oops I mean WalMart

[edit on 5-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Man, cant do a little good you have to be PERFECT or do nothing.
For all of you missing the big point here our biggest trading partner the US is absolutely screwing us right now with their poor dollar, we cant continue to export as much as we do to America because that option is running out. Try and convince an American to buy Canadian for the same price as American. Im a salesman in manufacturing trust me its not easy. These relations with China going forward are going to be crucial.
PM Harper's comments are made so much more pungeant due to this fact, we will need China as a trade partner going forward and he still has the morality to stand up and tell them he will continue to stand up for human rihgts in China.
It takes some stones to go to someone you will need and tell them you dont like the way they do things.
I voted for this man and i will continue to vote for his party, obviously not based on these actions but i am pleased that he took these actions.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

What are we to take from your statement ? As far as I know Canada does have a pretty good human rights track record . If you have info that states otherwise please share other wise it's kinda hard to take what you say as meaning much of anything except as a poor cheep shot .

Seeing how others are to lazy to spend the time researching this matter and find it easier to make one line attacks I have took it upon myself to look into the issue of Canada's human rights track record .

What I have found so far was a complaint made by Iran as wells as Canada's Indigenous peoples regarding land calms .

Now if one thinks that these complaints make Canada unworthy of criticizing China's track record then perhaps you should do your own research into China's violations before making the " glass house " statement . It really shows a lack of understanding on this issue .

Yes it would seem that Canada does have some things it needs to address but lets keep in mind here people that Canada's Indigenous peoples have more rights then ANYONE in China .

So once again I say good for you Mr. Harper for raising the issue and perhaps when China has addressed there serious human rights issues then perhaps they will be at a point where then can come to Canada and take up the call for Canada's Indigenous peoples .

If you believe that raising the issue of human rights in China is wrong perhaps you can share your thoughts as to why its wrong and not make the foolish mistake of trying to imply that Canada has no right to make any such statement because they are just as bad , as some of your comments lead on to believe .

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Slayer and Hack a star for you as you two seem to get it .

It does take some " stones " to go to a place where you " need " the extra money and make such statements .

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
He shy's away from human rights in his own back yard tho...don't piss were you eat...lol...just an opinion,possibly mine,possibly not...lol

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rory27

I would love to see any evidence of this , assuming you have any of course ?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Evidence
...I would figure,the fact that no nation on the face of this planet has anything to 'brag' about in this area in any sort of totality is enough,but that could just be me
...Any and all capitalist nations put profit before people,however they differ in degree...

Treaty NON-Negotiations

Oil Sands Propagation

Homelessness InAction

...Allowing the I.O.C to hold an Olympic Ski Jumping event in canada that Excludes women from competition...

Letting youth soccer associations dis-allow religious head wear,while we point fingers at other nations for dis-allowing people to NOT wear such attire

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Rory27]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Just a minor correction ...... Canada is also in the "BLACK" always has been, the past 3 years have just been leaner than most, and the 2008 is the ONLY year they had a negative balance..

Sorry I agree with everything else though.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
As much as I dislike Harper I do support some of his economic platforms as well as his China/Human rights stand.

Good on you Harper.

Now lose the makeup and quit pretending to be Elton John.

Fuddle Duddle.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
good for Harper indeed, and while Canada has had human rights issues in the past, the most glaring example being the rounding up and placing of canadian japanese into interment camps during ww2, it makes no difference in that what's wrong is wrong, regardless of who points it out.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The whole point though is it is lip service.

He says something because it has no meaning. If he cancelled all trades then it would send a message. Until then it is just jerking us off because we like what he says, but does not accomplish anything!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well if you had any expectations of Harper they must be limited to some trade equality with the Western Provinces which is a win win as Harper has only Sask. and Alberta up his sleeve and the East is efen chomping at his ass as they are undergoing some massive economic dodo.

Although I may not like him as a person ( and I am positive he would not really dig me) I do respect the fact that he is sandwiched and his political handlers are beyond brilliant.

I do not know weather to attribute that to genius or the grace of God but I am tempted to say the grace of God as it is uncanny how his situations unfold.

It is creating a new love of Canadian politics in my soul nonetheless.

And for that you can most assuredly thank Prime minister Harper.

Fuddle Duddle.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join