It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Asian carp turns up after $3mil fish kill of tens of thousands of fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Dozens of boats combed the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal starting in the pre-dawn hours Thursday, ultimately finding a lone Asian carp among tens of thousands of poisoned fish.

Pretty effective!

After officials launched what's believed to be the largest deliberate fish kill in state history Wednesday night, biologists sifted through the carnage at dump sites along the shipping canal near Romeoville. But by late this evening, they had identified just one 22-inch Asian carp, an invasive fish whose eating habits officials say have the potential to devastate the region's commercial fishing industry if allowed to enter the Great Lakes. Though some might question a three-day, $3 million fish kill if few Asian carp are found, biologists know the fewer carp discovered, the better the long-term health of the shipping canal and, ultimately, Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes.

read that again.

officials say have the potential to devastate the region's commercial fishing industry

Officials?Potential?

a lone Asian carp

among tens of thousands of poisoned fish.

pretty good ratio.

Success of the project won't be determined by how many Asian carp are found, but rather what biologists learn about them and by ensuring they don't go beyond the electric barriers while under repair, said Illinois DNR spokesman Chris McCloud.

well...not them, him!

An important question biologists will try to answer during the fish kill is how large a population of Asian carp exists around the electric barriers. Researchers have collected fish DNA indicating that the invasive carp are present in the canal and have advanced beyond the barriers, but there have been few actual sightings of the carp in that location.

Is 1 a population?

"The bottom line is we have to know what we're dealing with," McCloud said. "We have to know where they are and how many there are."

ummm 1

Though some might question a three-day, $3 million fish kill

I sure do!

I don't think I want any more "officials" doing anything else for me on the "possibility" of anything including health care,global warming,bailouts or Asian Carp!

full article www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

[edit on 4-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

[edit on 4-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

1 Asian carp!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
this is what i call an

UBER EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

$3 million dollar fish kill.

tens of thousnds of fish.

one carp.

wtf.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Ouch. That's a tough pill to swallow for the biologist that called for the fish kill. It's still better than having an invasive species destroy an entire ecosystem. Obviously I'm not going to convince you that a single Asian carp is worth $3 million now. But take a look at how quickly the snake head fish spread from one or two lakes to an entire region, including the Potomac. Even though the Asian carp isn't equipped with the same traits that help it move from one body of water to the next it could spread and change an ecosystem in ways we don't have a means to calculate.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
hope they had a fish fry, afterwards.
what a waste of life.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I wonder if they checked to see if it was a female with a full egg sack..looking for a place to spawn them? All it takes is one to set the whole process in motion.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Why would someone transport that fish from China to America and deposit it into one of our rivers? It didn't swim across the Pacific you know.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Who are the experts that decided this travesty was acceptable?And where do they get their info and authorization of their tactics?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by genius/idoit

Scientists working with government.

Same kind of guys trying to convince us all to invest trillions and an inumerable amount of lives to combat global warming.

With such great folks in charge o things one has to wonder why taxes are collected at gunpoint? I mean, if this stuff doesn't just fill you with the giving spirit what would?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
Why would someone transport that fish from China to America and deposit it into one of our rivers? It didn't swim across the Pacific you know.

I think that the carps ancester was a pet Koi Carp that was set free when it got too large for the aquarium. They lose their pretty color after a generation or two.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
call me a conspiracy theorist

but i dont believe for a second this was about asian carp

there HAS to be a underlying situation here

i mean really, humans can NOT be that stupid as to do something so ignorant without serious studies on the impact of everything, with any of those studies they wouldve realized what they did wasnt going to achieve the goal of eliminating the carp

things just dont add up

not over one carp

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
not really sure how to comment on this,but having gone to school for environmental science yes it is bad to have an invasive species. you can't allow it because it will destroy the ecosystem.
however to destroy native fish populations to catch 1 bad fish i find ridiculous. christ they shut down logging operations and etc because of a rare flower. it will never end.
and as a diehard angler if i lived there i would be up in arms over killing my fish i find fun to catch and eat-esp. after what you pay for a license- and who's to say maybe if i was fishing there i would have caught the lone carp and let my muskies and bass and panfish be alive yet?
i live in the poke-anose(if you get that it is in pa.) and a few years ago we were in a "bad drought situation" but yet the national forest decided it was ok to drain millions of gallons of water from one of my favorite ponds to fish because they wanted to fix the dam. i went up there to fish and all i saw was 1000's of dead fish.
sometimes i have no idea what these"scientists" are thinking
oh wait i do know- $$$$

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
maybe it was bin laden in fish form.
oh, right, they couldn't have found it, then.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by billybob]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Has anyone heard heard of anything like this before?And didn't they say the same thing about Zebra muscles?

[edit on 5-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
Has anyone heard heard of anything like this before?

California used the same stuff in a lake there a couple of years back to get rid of the Northern Pike..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They were more successful there, I think it was 8% of the killed fish were the targeted species..if you can call that successful.. this method of eradication of an invasive species still troubles me.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I still think the carp was an excuse to put chemicals in the water.

I certainly wouldn't be drinking any of this water now...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
maybe it was bin laden in fish form.
oh, right, they couldn't have found it, then.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by billybob]

ROFLMFAO!!!

but seriously, this was just a horrible waste of life. wouldn't it be better just to drain the lake, pond, stream, whatever?

new topics

top topics

join