It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brothers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I just saw the movie 'Brothers' at the theater and I have to say it was really quite good.

The movie features Tobey Maguire as Sam Cahill, Jake Gyllenhaal as his brother Tommy, Natalie Portman as his wife Grace, and Bailee Madison and Taylor Grace Geare as his daughters Isabelle and Maggie.

Sam Cahill is a United States Marine and is deployed to Afghanistan. Something happens and his family is told he was killed. His brother, trying to turn his life around because of past problems, begins to get close to his brother's wife and daughters, just as it is discovered that Sam is alive and returns home.

The movie has a very good story and is quite sad at times. When I saw in the previews that Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal were in the movie I was a little turned off to it, but both actually did a great job acting wise. Especially Tobey Maguire with his situation (as described below in the spoiler).

Overall it was a very good movie. I would watch it again and will buy the DVD when it is released. I would rate it 4.5 to 5 stars out of 5. I recommend that everyone interested in this type of movie go see it.

I will now post some spoiler information, so please do not read further if you do not want to know the spoilers.

SPOILER INCOMING!

LOOK AWAY!

Sam Cahill is on a military helicopter in Afghanistan when it is shot down. Only he and a member of his crew survive. They are captured by what I assume are either Taliban or Al Qaeda fighters.

They both are kept in captivity for several months. They are both presumed dead and their families are told. A funeral is held.

Sam's brother Tommy gets out of prison at the beginning of the movie. He was in prison for robbing a bank. Trying to turn his life around by doing good, he tries to take care of and comfort his brother's wife and daughters. But in the process, he and his brother's wife get close, and one night while talking, they end up kissing, but that's it.

While in captivity, and after a lot of torture, Sam is told by his captors to kill his fellow Marine. They hand him a metal pipe. At first he refuses, but when one man puts a gun to his head and everyone begins taunting him, he begins striking his fellow Marine in the head several times, killing him.

After that, Sam begins to lose his mind, obviously suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. The United States military eventually attacks the camp he is being held at and he is rescued and shipped home.

When home, he learns that his brother has kept close to his family. He begins to suspect that his brother has been sleeping with his wife, and goes crazy thinking about it.

Everyone notices that he is different after his return home, but he tells no one what happened, despite everyone asking him. It all boils over eventually and he basically flips out and ends up getting arrested and put in a hospital. Shortly thereafter, he is allowed time to speak with his wife and he tells her what he did. Then, the movie ends.

It's a very 'cliffhanger' type ending. It doesn't leave much room for a sequel but it leaves you wondering.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Thanks for the review. I was in that movie as an background extra/driver, a prisioner mopping floors in the pen scenes and a non descript driver in a green pickup in a city scene. Shot in NM.

Now known as Tamalewood.
www.travellady.com...

[edit on 6-12-2009 by whaaa]

join