It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomatoes can 'eat' insects

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have to ask, is it possible the bugs just got stuck as a byproduct of the hairs existence? Like when sap from trees traps small and even large insects. Just wondering if someone is reading to much into it

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Relate it to how humans generate small amounts of vitamin D through going out in the sun or whatnot.

Humans generate all the vitamin D they need from the sun.

People who somehow think this relates to vegans are way off base. Its a tomato. Some animals need meat, some don't. Don't want to turn this into a vegan vs. meat eater debate (aren't those fun
) but i thought i would point that out. Another good point, if your a vegan and you eat any quantity of fruit your gonna eat bugs

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Rawhemp]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
For those interested in the whole review Murderous plants: Victorian Gothic, Darwin and modern insights into vegetable carnivory (28 pages). It is available in the public domain.
www3.interscience.wiley.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Should be in the science section, but...

Telegraph

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rubyeyes

Human beings are meat eaters.
I don't understand how vegetarians survive without ill effects.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What an interesting find.
I know many plants produce natural insecticides but never would have imagined tomato plants actually digesting the nutrients.
That is awesome.
I LOVE the smell of tomato plants...just rub the stem.MMMmmm.

I wonder if we humans can also aqquire nutrients in such a way-we can absorb stuff into our skin like toxins/nicotine patches etc.
Imagine a three course meal patch...MMMmmm!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I wonder what Vegans have to say about this

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

lol, sounds like a b movie script.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Some true vegans I know of take vitamins and nutrients to substitute the lack of nutrients from not eating meat

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
HAHA! Cool find OP! I knew there had to be more to vegetables than meets the eye! (attack of the killer tomatoes anyone?) Next time I see some vegetables growing I'm going to steer clear of them, cause if regular plants can do that there's no way in telling what the monster Monsanto freaks of nature can do... Take off a finger... Or a leg?

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Solar.Absolution]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Too cool! I found this today...apparently petunias are carnivorous as well.

ScienceDaily (Dec. 5, 2009) — Scientists from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and the Natural History Museum believe that carnivorous behaviour in plants is far more widespread than previously thought, with many commonly grown plants -- such as petunias -- at least part way to being "meat eaters." A review paper, Murderous plants: Victorian Gothic, Darwin and modern insights into vegetable carnivory, is published (4 December 2009) in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society.

Source: www.sciencedaily.com...

S&F

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danna
reply to post by Brainiac

Some true vegans I know of take vitamins and nutrients to substitute the lack of nutrients from not eating meat

There shouldn't be any need to supplement if you are doing a proper vegan diet wuth pulses,olives etc.
You get all your amino acids from a balanced diet-at least thats what my vegan buddy says.

Just recently theres been a lot of headlines about how vegetarian diets are good for you(Im a near veggie except for the odd bit of fish)and can add years to your lives:

A vegetarian diet could be the key to a long life,” according to The Daily Telegraph. The newspaper says that extreme diets “just above malnutrition levels” might add an extra 25 years to UK life expectancy. The news is based on a study investigating exactly what leads to the extended life and reduced fertility seen in flies fed a highly calorie-restricted diet. The study suggested that it was the low level of certain amino acids (building blocks of protein) in the diet that was responsible for the effects of the restricted diet.

www.nhs.uk...

Well,thats sounds horrid "just above malnutrition levels" !!!
Don't fancy that much.Ill stick to my massive meals of mostly vegetarian stuff thanks.

Is this part of the next phase of the global warming fiasco,whereby they attempt to make meat the new enemy?
Wouldn't put it past them.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

A star for your post.

Wow, very cool information.

Thank you for sharing.

I hope you get a thousand more stars.

Just little tidbits of unknown data like this really make my day!

[edit on 5-12-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
btw, i think all plants do this...

bacteria decomposes organisms forming readily available nutrients for plants to absorb.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
this is fantastic. I already really like tomatoes, this just reinforces it!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
thanks for all the replies, stars etc!

its interesting how many people have mentioned "what will vegans think". I'm sure it will provoke an interesting response, thats for sure! Who could have known that our innocent potatoes and tomatoes are in fact drinking the blood of insects.

I started growing tomatoes myself this year and I bought some feed for them and it was made entirely from sheeps blood. So they most definatley like a bit of it thats for sure!!

I think after this story coming out it may possibly lead to more discoveries like this.

I wonder if the indigenous tribes actually already knew this stuff, seeing as they knew so much about plants etc.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
great! flag

i really like post like this one

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The cow eating tree does exist or at least DID. But obviously if a tree eats your cow your gonna kill it, so we probly extincted them. It would be much easier to eradicate something that cant run away.

www.cryptomundo.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So everyone here thinks insects have meat on them? I don't know about that...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

Not exactly. We are speaking "nutrients".

For vigorous growth, all plants need the same basic nutrients--including nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus

Insect bodies contain many of the nutrients lacking in the habitats of carnivorous plants. Nitrogen forms about 10 percent of an insect corpse, potassium accounts for about 3 percent, and phosphorus represents 0.6 percent. Many other essential minerals like magnesium and iron are also part of the reward of digesting an insect without waiting for the soil to claim it

www.ehow.com...

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join