It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Difference in opinion always has and always will cause conflict. Here are some of the reasons I can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Difference in opinion always has and always will cause conflict. Here are some of the reasons I can think of and why I brought this up "Do you respect other people's beliefs?" A friend asked today
"On one level, yes," I replied. "This is America. You can believe whatever you want. I would never want a person denied the right to vote, to run for office, to attend a university or to hold a job because of their personal beliefs," I explained.
"But while I respect a person's legal right to hold a different personal belief, I don't think that means I have to accept that belief as true or that I cannot challenge their belief with the hope of motivating them to believe something better - something more true."
I asked if he would ever tell a person their beliefs are wrong and try to convince them to change those beliefs. He assured me that he would NEVER, under any circumstances, do something so disrespectful to another person.
"OK," I responded. "Suppose you get a roommate who grew up in a rural area of the Deep South. He has an honest belief that black people are less "human" than white people are, are of bad character and cannot be trusted. When the two of you watch TV and a black person comes on, he makes bigoted statements and jokes about them. Would you challenge his ‘beliefs' and urge him to accept people for who they are or would you ‘respect' his racist beliefs?"
Although the targeted groups may change, hatred and its consequences do not. Individuals are not born prejudiced. Instead, prejudice is a learned emotion and behavior. Thus, it can be learned.
Difference in opinion always has and always will cause conflict, because things that seem so right to you can seem so wrong to someone else and it sets both sides off a lot of the time. When you give your opinion you have to expect people to disagree, I believe there is a bit of truth in everything. What is it that makes people hate? Many people simply make mistakes—analogous to miscalculations in working out difficult mathematical problems—leading them to disagree with others who have not made mistakes or have made different mistakes leading to different conclusions. Issues are difficult for us to resolve due to insufficient information, and/or because different people have different information available to them. If everyone had adequate factual knowledge, most disputes would be resolved.
Personally, though I am not perfect and have gotten into arguments, or name called, I try not to. I find it interesting to learn about others beliefs, or lack of. Why they feel that why, and compare and contrast my own beliefs towards there’s. Sometimes I learn something; sometimes it opens my mind to things I have not realized. Other times it makes me stronger in my own beliefs, and thank ful that I have them.. The fact that making someone look stupid, does, in some pseudo sadistic way make us feel better about our own self.
Lack of knowledge. People are afraid of that that they do not understand. This manifests it's self by lashing out and attacking in anger. I might not believe what you believe but I believe you have the right to believe it
If it is possible you may be wrong, you should be willing to listen to the arguments of others. Even if they insult you, what they say cannot be automatically dismissed because they were uncivil. If you can, try to separate the valid criticism, if any from the stupid insults. A person unwilling to listen to criticism has exposed their own weakness: that they know, in their heart of hearts, that they are likely to be wrong and so avoid criticism.
But still, nobody is going to convince anyone if they cannot show a little civility. Just try not to catch yourself calling someone else's argument or statements offensive or insulting when they are *only* trying to

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Opinions are one thing. Opinions presented and argued as facts are the true causes of conflicts.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've always said that I don't respect other people's OPINIONS (and beliefs). I respect other people, and their RIGHT to have their opinions and beliefs, but if I respected their opinions and beliefs, I'd probably hold them, myself.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkangle2bad
Difference in opinion always has and always will cause conflict. Here are some of the reasons I can think of and why I brought this up "Do you respect other people's beliefs?" A friend asked today
""OK," I responded. "Suppose you get a roommate who grew up in a rural area of the Deep South. He has an honest belief that black people are less "human" than white people are, are of bad character and cannot be trusted. When the two of you watch TV and a black person comes on, he makes bigoted statements and jokes about them. Would you challenge his ‘beliefs' and urge him to accept people for who they are or would you ‘respect' his racist beliefs?"

That person is entitled to his opinion, but I would challenge his opinion with mine. Not so much who they are but what they are. I believe we are all made of the same thing, we all have skin, brains, hearts, etc. and that no person is better than another whether a different color, a different IQ, or different anything.

It is not worth getting into a major confrontation about, but I will call him on his opinion.

that don't look right ??

[edit on 5-12-2009 by catamaran]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
People may never agree to any criticism address to them personally. But we need criticism to alarm us from something unhealthy within us in order that we seek for cure. It is like when we are yawning, it means that our body is trying to alarm us that we need to sleep. Criticism is always worthwhile if it is expounded in a proper manner. But to convey criticism with some verbally abuse and embitter, profanity, insult or objurgate, IMHO, it is really another embodiment of bullying tactics of control to subjugate others. This bullying may spring from weakness or a repercussion from lack of knowledge of expostulate in an intellectual manner. The bully may feel a gratification senses if he think he can hurt the feeling of others (a perverse form of satisfaction). Basically human by nature need respect and attention from others, people will strive to manipulate everything they have including any form of harassment and intimidation. What else would make the bully feel stronger when he thinks the victim is intimidated? Just my two cents.

top topics

join