It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Privacy is dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Privacy is dead

www.cnn.com

Editor's note: Pete Cashmore is founder and CEO of Mashable, a popular blog about social media. He is writing a weekly column about social networking and tech for CNN.com.

London, England (CNN) -- A U.K. firm is set to launch a camera to capture every moment of a person's life. While you may reel at the privacy implications, I'd wager that the high price of not capturing and sharing every moment of our lives will soon dwarf the cost to our privacy.

The SenseCam, worn on a cord around the neck, will retail for $820 and capture an image every 30 seconds. Originally developed by Microsof
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
But what about the cost of not sharing? In the online realm, that might mean you simply don't exist.

Privacy is dead, and social media hold the smoking gun.

Photo-sharing site Flickr made a brave decision in its early development: By default, photos would be public. Though ambitious at the time, the choice now seems obvious. What value do photos have when they're not shared?

Twitter followed suit: Its private accounts are rare, meaning Twitter's fire-hose of updates is becoming an invaluable stream of the world's consciousness (incidentally, this month saw that stream licensed to both Microsoft and Google to bolster their search efforts).

Even Facebook, which once held fast to its model of private sharing among close friends, is pushing an "everyone" button that makes your updates public.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
there you have it. privacy is now considered obsolete!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Imagine:

The camera pictuures are then linked to a twitter network and pictures are automaticly uploaded on twitter.

I bet something like this would start to be popular because people are so stupid these days.

Why type what you do? show people what your doing!

[edit on 5-12-2009 by colloredbrothers]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
Imagine:

The camera pictuures are then linked to a twitter network and pictures are automaticly uploaded on twitter.

I bet something like this would start to be popular because people are so stupid these days.

Why type what you do? show people what your doing!

[edit on 5-12-2009 by colloredbrothers]

i hope people are smarter than that!

top topics

join