It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If money equal survival in today's world...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
...then explain how did you land your job. Teach us so that we may survive like you.
Show us the ropes. What schooling background did it take to get that job you got? What is the job if you dont mind me asking? Where did you learn where to apply for the job at in the first place? Are you surviving good and plenty from the money you're making from your job nowadays? If not, why not?

I currently do not work for anyone but have an own business lined up for the spring. In case you're wondering I do get some payments from the state though. But with this topic I'd like for you to get me and others interested in making money maybe how you got to.
One man's way is another man's interest. We should learn to survive off each others ways in today's world.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have quite a financially good job (stock control teamleader for a US Network equipment retailer) did medium education and ITIL.

got the new contracts today, so I am safe for another year.

But to have skills, the will to learn new skills and work hard and switching to better companies when things don't move on really gets you moving up.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I work as a Registered Nurse. In the UK that normally means that you work for the third largest employer in the world - the National Health Service (NHS). This is a Government run organisation under the Department of Health (DoH).

It is a well documented fact that in a recession, three of the 'safest' jobs/careers are in Education, Health and Criminal Justice. Nursing can fall into all three catagories. I work as a Registered Nurse in Criminal Justice. There is also in western countries a national shortage of Qualified Nurses, so jobs are not a problem, provided you are prepared to move.

For me, Nursing is my second career, having been in the Printing Industry for 20+ years. I had very few educational qualifications on leaving school. I took a part-time job alongside my main Printing job inside a hospital and undertook 2 vocational qualifications over two years until I had the neccessary qualifications to get into University. I then decided at age 40 to go to University to gain my Nursing qualifications and to switch careers completely ........ something I have not regretted.

I earn above the regional average salary (National Pay Scales) for where I live, so I am doing okay. My partner is also an NHS Nurse. In the NHS we get two pay rises per year ... your anniversary date of joining increment and the annual pay rise, till you max out at the top of your pay band, then it is just the annual pay rise.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I drive for a plant hire company. I hold a degree in Middle Eastern Politics, History and Arabic.

The pay is not fantastic.

Don't ask...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I work as a librarian. I went to school for library science and information technology.

I'm currently pursuing a grad certificate in historic/cultural preservation. Hopefully it helps me land a job at some shack in the middle of nowhere and everyone, especially the government, just forgets I exist.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Qualifications don't mean anything in todays world.

I work for the Bank of England ( don't flame me till you hear the rest of my sad tale)
My work experience started when I left school in 87, had dire results all GCSE ( not even college grade)( english, maths, social studies, physics? and technical drawing- no job helpful qualifications there), went to work in a high street electrical retailers for 2 years, did another ER 1 year, a small firm 6 months, then worked in a bar for a year, then went to work for a reprographics firm in their bike messenger dept.
That business folded so I went to work as a bike courier for Cabinet office ( Government dept), they cancelled the contract BofE took me on, been here 13 years, went from Bike messenger to clerk, now all I do is process cheques and surf the net.
My qualifications didn't mean anything, just treat every job you have as a life experience, don't EVER get your hopes up about landing your dream job, you'll 99 times out of 100 never get it.
To get ahead? My advice is not worry about qualifications you just need to seriously kiss some butt or like me be plain lucky to even have a job.
I don't even class this as my dream job, its a wage thats all.

[edit on 9/12/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Used car salesman here. No degree just a high school diploma.

No qualifications just have to know prices and be a talkative trustworthy person. I suck at math so that doesn't help me lol.
I landed this job by detailing cars first then got a promo to the office.
My checks vary depending on the economy. But it does pay my bills and feed my family

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I joined the Army shortly after leaving college and stayed in for 8 years, getting out to pursue the work I'm currently doing now.

I consider myself quite lucky in view of the fact that normally my position would be filled by a university graduate, but because of the nature of my work, I work here on account of my military experience and background.

When I was at school I wanted to go on to be a civil engineer but by the time I had finished college I didn't fancy university, and after that they started charging for it so I joined up instead. I haven't regretted it at all, in fact the Army has given me the trade skills and the experience that has put me where I am today.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm self-employed currently, working as a software developer. Primarily in web portals and process automation.

Worked in IT most of my adult life. Started out as a low-end tech support person, then moved on to general IT consulting, then network admin/analyst at a few jobs. I held a few Microsoft certifications at one point (MCSE, MCDBA) but got tired of studying and having to pay to renew them every couple years. Did a bit of programming here & there and decided I liked it alot better than being a network admin/support person. So I focused in on Microsoft development tools (.Net, Visual Studio, etc.) and that's what I do now.

I learned, in the IT world at least, it's better to have a specialty. Pick one area and get really, really good at it. Being a jack of all trades and master of none doesn't get you far. There's definitely a place and use for those people who know a little of everything, but those aren't the people in higher management or consulting positions making the big bucks.

I was scared to death when I quit my corporate IT job and decided to go out on my own. There were definitely tough times but I persevered and my income is pretty stable now. Still have rough months every now and then when I can't find work but that's why I keep all my bills paid ahead ahead, and have at least 2 months' living expenses in savings.

top topics

join