It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who say's it is better that Religion was banned Worldwide?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Look at what occurred throughout the many Communist regimes in history, where religion was in fact banned. Were they any less violent, or any less the cause of wars and conflict?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The primary negative thing I see about most religions is that they inhibit progress and curiosity. Most of the world's "dark ages" came about when a religion got powerful enough to enforce the idea that the Truth has been found, so there's no more need for exploration or discovery or anything that might cause that Truth to be questioned. And that's a shame, really. It's like an inbreeding of ideas, not much different than when one group of people decide that they're the best and discourage marrying outside the group. It leads to horrible stagnation.

Except, of course, where one religious group works hard to invent weapons to kill off all the other religious groups. There's a little bit of progress there.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I fail to see how any morel minded inelegant person could have any faith or belief in any institutions that promote the killing of innocent men women and children on the ground that they don't believe in the same thing. All religion is repulsive. But when you question their belief system and quote the parts of the Bible say, they tell you, "it doesn't actually mean that" yet in the same breath they will tell you the bible is perfect and the one and only word of their god. Crock of sh@t!!!!! in my opinon that is

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by The time lord

Banning would be impossible. Religion is faith, thought, etc...IMPOSSIBLE to ban. Publicly practicing it could be outlawed, still wouldn't stop it...most that are religious are fanatic about it...so, we just have to learn to live with it...and ignore it.

Just my 2-cents

I must respectfully disagree, Religion is about far from faith as one can go. Religion is about suppressing your natural instincts to adhere to anothers world view.
Faith is about following your "gut". No one but you can define what to believe, how to worship/not worship.
Faith in oneself is not the easy path, it is however the most fulfilling.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Religion needs a place to express itself in a little corner where it doesn't infringe on others. All religions have to be given equal time and equal space and they have to take a back seat to the state. Otherwise someone's religion will seek to BECOME a state. The state has to refuse to be corrputed by people who want to weave religion into law.

Religion should not be banned. It should have adequate space. But it should always take a back seat to democracy and be suppressed to the point that one religion can't infringe on the rights of another to practice.

People who attempt to sway or corrupt this fair equilibrium should be executed!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
No. Let them pray and believe what they want.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Forcing them is not the right way, they have to realize and open their eyes by themselves, or they'll resort to martyrdom like it was already suggested.

I think getting the Atheistic message out there is better because it leads people to ask questions. And if people become less gullible, then maybe the beast that is religion will stop being fed and starve.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by vjr1113]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_grand_pooh-bah
I think that sounds great in theory but bad in real world implementation.Who would decide what to do about them?

I really don't have problems with other people's imaginary friends until they try to tell me I'm evil for being a bartender(well,retired now)or smoking or fornicating(i really like fornicating).

I don't bother YOU with the voices in MY head do I?

I am an Altruistic Agnostic Hedonist.
Though I usually just say hedonist for short.As my screen name implies I am the Grand Pooh-Bah of this religion.Like a pope but with less hat.

I am calling it a religion but it's just a philosophy until god shows himself DIRECTLY,none of this stupid faith crap.

YOU(god)want MY soul's undying love and devotion,even my life and I can't even card you?not today mister...

nice

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Just imagine a world then where it is banned and people no longer had religion or faith, no one would be allowed to even think there is a God or a creator, would the world be in perfect harmony or will it self implode with human dictatorships without the wisdom of past human learning?

See this is where a lot of people get stuck. They think that believing in a Creator or higher power is the same thing as religion.

If I can say one thing for religion, it sure helped me discover exactly what God is not.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

if this was directed @ my signiture.....remember that I wasnt' the one who said it. It was Jefferson.
I gerw up as a baptist, got baptised, whole ninee yards. I know the differnce. If you replace christianity with religion in jeffersons quote, that represents what I believe.

Live

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Eladria

I see the same problem a lot. Peoples view differ SOOOo much that they intertwine different aspects of a subject, that just makes you think to yourself......are they serious? Are they listening? I mean......im telling them something that totally cantradicts what they have believed, learned, and had faith in their whole life...R they telling me that they are so brainwashed (wrong word I KNOW)
that they R unable to debate anymore? Unable to have an intelligent coversation with differing views? Yet they talk smack about the koran
or visa visa because that particular religion believes if you dont agree you must DIE? or you are the infidel? Take your pick....POINT IS

THEY R ARE THE SAME DAMN THING!

I hope for the day that I can sit down with my family and "just talk about it"

yaknow?

[edit on 12/5/2009 by Termite197]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Look religions are just tools of sociological control dressed up pretty. We have other forms now, thats why you have the enlightened atheists who know for sure there is no god and believe everything they are taught by main stream science is automatically correct because the right kind of nerd told them so.

What would the point of banning religion be ? Because it has gotten out of control ? Or more accurately because we happen to live in one of the few centuries where it is the major controlling factor of the world (supposedly).

You may as well ask, should we ban organized governments, it all amounts to the same thing in the end.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

Religion does not necessarily separate either. Name who the Christians are supposedly at “war” with? They are at war with no one, and peacefully co-exist with many other religions on the planet. Similarly, the Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, American Indians, and others all follow their lines of worship in peaceful coexistence. The only two factions who seem to have a problem are the Muslims and the Jews. The Muslims cannot even peacefully co-exist with other Muslims, and the whole Jewish-Muslim thing is less about religion and more of a pissing contest over a piece of land.

Additionally the reason why so many children now have to be medicated to show any semblance of self discipline, is because they lack the values, morals, and self discipline that religions teach. I have seen this first hand. When I was young, I went to a private religious academy; there were maybe two disciplinary problems out of over 500 students (both of which came from serious home problems involving parents deaths and such). I had friends who came to our school from the local public school, and their schools were like going to a juvenile detention facility with the majority of students being discipline problems. What was the difference between the two schools? Simply that one taught religious morals that made students learn how to discipline themselves and control how they behaved.

So there is nothing bad or wrong about religion, and it actually makes for a better world, not a more divided one.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Termite197
I gerw up as a baptist, got baptised, whole ninee yards. I know the differnce. If you replace christianity with religion in jeffersons quote, that represents what I believe.

Well that would make you quite foolish then, since the Baptist Church has never done a single one of the things in your quote.

The only religion which has is the Roman Catholic Church, which is part of the reason why many other Protestant faiths do not consider Roman Catholicism to be a form of Christianity.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by Termite197

Well that would make you quite foolish then, since the Baptist Church has never done a single one of the things in your quote.

The only religion which has is the Roman Catholic Church, which is part of the reason why many other Protestant faiths do not consider Roman Catholicism to be a form of Christianity.

I believe you misunderstood me. What I meant was, I didnt agree with the word christianity in the Jefferson quote. I was saying that word should be religion. My point was that I knew the difference between the two.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The smartest thing ever done in history was having a separation between religion and politics. Now you could see what would happen if religion has not been around. Wars would be fought over something entirely different. These guys who start wars are always underestimated. You think these think tanks could not come up with other plans for world domination?

Religion was a front for their greedy and corrupted ways. As a Christian, I look at all the Catholic killings and condemn their actions.

What are the reason we are fighting wars today? Terrorists, weapons of mass destruction, and "democracy". Meanwhile most of us know it isn't true, but are we stopping the regime? No, why? Because we can't.

If you wold have questioned a leaders command then you would have been put to death.

Another thing is that no one knew how to read in those dark times. Their leaders manipulated the Word to suit their agendas.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Religions are a part of the sifting process for humans to discern from that help eventually in the long run allow us to see what we are and what we are not.

Every human is born with a birth right to find their own path. No one has the right to take that from anyone. Even parents do not have a right to take this from their children as if they own their children. Yes churches and some religions rape humans of their possibilities and somewhat limits humans potentials....but it is a part of the process...we have many paths to choose from that help us see what we are and what we are not.

Banning religion is like taking away a birth right to be born here in freedom as a soul to seek its origins and purpose.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
If religion did not unite and could never do, would the solution be batter if there was no faith and it was just man verses nature without thinking there is a right God or a wrong one? Who would be happy and glad about such a world?

Yep - world be much better off - not through banning - rather through rational realisation of the facts. Banning just fans the flames of stupidity.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The best solution would be to ban the indoctrination of children. Religious brainwash at a young age is a horrible form of abuse (right up there with rape) from which just the bravest minds can ever recover.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Termite197

That was not directed at your sig, your sig is about christianity...
On that note Thomas Jefferson wrote the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom which opens up with

Where as Almighty God hath created the mind free

Thomas Jefferson wanted equality and tolerance not censorship.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Christians are worried about having such a world where religion or Christianity comes to a standstill because of Prophecy warnings. Of course the best climate for a Satanic world order is to get Christians out of the way, but no doubt if the pre-tribulation rapture happens then the world should be free from them and the religions left behind will unite or distinguish. When that happens as warned in the Bible the power will be given to the Best and the Devil. This is one reason Christianity I feel is still on float as a guidence and a warning system. No doubt many have strayed out and some have become hypocrites and even made war, but behind all that confusion there is something keeping it together, I believe Kids should know about the Bible and then have a choice to take it from there, I don't think Evolusion is good on a Child's mind as they feel alone and worthless within them selves and I think them thinking there is something else other than a nameless being or feeling related to an animal is counter productive mentally and spiritually.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join