It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel closes sole oil and gas terminal on Gaza border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Israel closes sole oil and gas terminal on Gaza border

www.csmonitor.com

Gaza - The population of the Gaza Strip is facing an acute cooking gas shortage this winter, after a unilateral Israeli decision in October to permanently close the sole oil and gas terminal between the coastal Palestinian territory and the Jewish state.

The Nahal Oz crossing has been shut down for "security reasons," an official with the Israeli coordination office for the Gaza Strip said, adding that it will only act as "a backup" when the Kerem Shalom crossing in the south is too congested.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Some important highlights from the article:

But Kerem Shalom does not have the proper infrastructure to meet the territory's cooking gas needs, local businessmen say. The move has had a significant impact across the territory, forcing bakeries to either close or shift to other fuel sources, compelling hospitals to suspend cooking and laundry services, and threatening families' abilities to cook and heat their homes as winter closes in.

"At Kerem Shalom, there is no infrastructure [for gas transport], and only limited amounts are allowed in," says Amr Hamad, executive manager of the Palestinian Federation of Industries, a private sector organization. "Cooking gas is so important to Gaza right now," he continues, "particularly with the siege – we rely on it totally."

Less than 20 percent of needed supplies

According to Mahmoud Al-Shawa, the . of Gaza's Association of Gas Station Owners, Gaza needs 6,000 tons of gas per month in the winter and 4,500 in the summer.

After the crossing's closure, just over 1,600 tons were transferred in October, and less than 1,000 in November, says the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Gaza.

Only 3 percent of Gaza's gas needs were met in the second week of November, and 17 percent in the third, the UN body says.

Unprecedented shortage

Israel has kept Gaza under a tight economic blockade since a short but bloody inter-Palestinian war two years ago left the Islamist Hamas, a bitter enemy of Israel, in control of the territory. Along with cement, steel, and other construction materials, Israel substantially reduced the amount of gas and fuel it transfers into the Gaza Strip as part of the blockade.

But until now, Gaza's cooking gas shortages have been temporary. The move to close the Nahal Oz crossing more or less permanently is unprecedented, gas station owners say.

"We have never seen this before," says Mahmoud Khozendar, the vice chair of the gas station owners association. "What the Israelis allow in through Kerem Shalom, it is not enough; it is not even close to enough."

Rise in violence

The move comes amid a recent rise in tit-for-tat violence between the Israeli army and Palestinian militants over the past two months. November saw a series of Israeli air strikes against smuggling tunnels and other targets in response to Palestinian rocket fire, resulting in at least three fatalities.

The Gaza-based Al-Qaeda-style militant group Jund Ansar Allah in September claimed a rocket attack on Israel's Nahal Oz military base located at the crossing. Just last week, the Palestinian Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), a leftist militant organization, also claimed responsibility for a mortar attack on the crossing.

This is getting from bad to worse I am afraid and the World Powers are hoodwinking the whole crisis.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

And we witness yet another violation of article 33 of the Geneva convention, which states

ARTICLE 33
No protected person may be punished for an offence he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited.
Pillage is prohibited.
Reprisals against protected persons and their property are prohibited.
ICRC

Funny how the Israelis can claim that this is for "security reasons". I would think just the opposite. I would think summarily punishing every living person in Gaza by closing off their source of cooking their food and heating their homes might incite violent protests. I find it rather convenient that this just so happens to coincide with the onset of winter.

I think something like this would actually be more likely to threaten security by driving the civilian populous further into desperation.

I suspect this move will only serve to increase violence as the innocent are forced to desperate measures for survival, not to mention it drives the wedge deeper to impressionable youth who might react. I also suspect that Israel is well aware of this and has planned accordingly.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

Agree with you 100% on that. That's the main reason why Palesine is now known as Open Air Prison.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser

And we witness yet another violation of article 33 of the Geneva convention, which states

Funny how you want Israel to abide by the Geneva convention, but ignore all the Palestinian terrorists that do not abide by it! Your bias is obvious

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Two wrongs make a right is a fallacy. Your statement is null and void as an argument.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Israel is deliberately tryna piss the palestinians off so that they keep firing pringle tubes with 0.001% accuracy into israel.

Israel inturn gets an excuse to bomb and exhaust the crap outa palestinians overall expanding its borders for 'security reasons'.

And the cycle continues...

[edit on 4-12-2009 by merkava]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

mossad founded and funded hamas in the 1980's. fatah was a secular nationalist movement. rather than have to deal with reasonable nationalists that would require the jews to give up some land for a two state solution mossad funded religous nutjobs to scuttle the peace process.

this way there is never any need to negotiate. all they have to do is just starve out and steal land from what is left of palestianian lands and they get the whole chunk of land and dont have to share.

evil bastards. "through deceit i wage war"

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The Jews, least the Zionist and religious types, feel it is normal to treat non-Jews like crap and kill if needed. Their god and religious leaders give them the go a.!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Hemlocks]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Originally posted by dereks

Funny how you want Israel to abide by the Geneva convention, but ignore all the Palestinian terrorists that do not abide by it! Your bias is obvious

What's not funny is that the entire population of Gaza is being summarily punished for the actions of an individual or a group of individuals.

Israel retaliated against the rocket fire with a series of targeted air strikes throughout November, bombing suspected tunnels and killing at least three. Now they are also summarily punishing everyone in Gaza. I refer back to my previous comment, and the Geneva convention.

Note: I make no attempt to hide my bias, in fact I advertise my position because I believe very strongly that there will never be a peaceful solution without a free Palestinian state. I grow endlessly frustrated with Israel using that very fact as an excuse not to let them have it.

No, there is certainly an ulterior motive on the part of Israel, and I believe there is an end goal of removing the Palestinians all together and absorbing all of Gaza and the west bank. Which by the way easily explains Israels actions and the continuing genocide there.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

You're absalutely right you know!

I think the palestinians should get smart and stop firing pringle tubes into israel.Than we will see what excuse israel uses to bomb and torcher the palestinians.

DOH!!! I forgot how israel created an everlasting PEACE with fatah before hamas came into power.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by merkava]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

This would be confirmed by the simple fact that during 2008 Israel expelled 21 times the 40 year average. Between 1967 and 2007 they revoked the citizenship of 8,558 Arabs, in 2008 they expelled 4,577.

Israel has no interest in a 2 state solution, they never have. They play the sympathy card of the Holocaust as a get out of jail free card as they commit their own genocidal crimes.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by fumanchu]

top topics

join