It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30% of Teens Report Abuse in Relationships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

30% of Teens Report Abuse in Relationships

www.cbsnews.com

These two stories illustrate an alarming trend of escalating violence in teen relationships. Calls and emails to the National Teen Dating Violence Hotline went up nearly 600 percent from March of 2007 to March of this year. And a recent survey shows that even twenty-five percent of 'tweens' say they're experiencing physical violence in their romantic relationships.

They're growing up in a world where violence is everywhere. Where teens are constantly bombarded with pop culture images objectifying and degrading women.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
What is happening in America and perhaps the world for that matter? Is the physical abuse of women the result of media manipulation, stress of economic events, violent sports, video games, the worship of war and warriors? What?

Or is violence in general increasing and women take the brunt of it because they are physically weaker, available targets and less likely to retaliate than a man.

From my observations, we as a culture are becoming more prone to violence. Are we being manipulated by some nebulous social control entity, that for a better term we call the New World Order. Or are humans still primitive, tribal, beings that haven't attained enough insight for the "Golden Rule" to be implemented in our psyche? What ever the case...
God help us!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.boston.com...

[edit on 4-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, popular music has taught me that "Bitches ain't # but hoes and tricks."

And that's cool. I want to be cool. You want to be cool too, right?

I'm sure the number is way higher than 30% in many urban areas. And I'm sure to many of the victims it's seen as 'cool' to be beaten and abused.

It's gangsta yo.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Well, popular music has taught me that "Bitches ain't # but hoes and tricks."

And that's cool. I want to be cool. You want to be cool too, right?

I'm sure the number is way higher than 30% in many urban areas. And I'm sure to many of the victims it's seen as 'cool' to be beaten and abused.

It's gangsta yo.

Violence seems to transcend races; granted there does seem to be a culture of violence romanticized by certain segments of society.
Even social conservatives and their mouthpieces exhibit a certain amount of misogynist traits imo.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 4-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think we are generally a more violent society than we were 50 years for numerous reasons, primarly the breakdown of family and established norms (coupled with increased alcohol and drug use).

Violence in the media could possibly have an affect, if the media has no effect then why do advertisers bother?

Also, it aint always the dude, Ive never hit a woman but have been hit by two women

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I blame the rise in pollution. Electromagnetic radiation, heavy metals, endocrine disruptors, xenoestrogens, androgen blockers, DU radiation, etc..

Our bodies are overloaded with junk, and it disrupts our ability to function properly. Tension is a natural biproduct of this accumulated stress.

Yes, there's many sides to what causes this and I'm just choosing one, but I think it's a big one that's yet to be mentioned in this thread.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Im not saying that violence against women does nto exist - it certainly does.

But our morals have been rewritten to say that no matter what, what the woman says is true

and they've also been foot noted to say women can't abuse men.

Countless studies have been conducted to show that groups of strangers will react and run to the rescue if a man is seemingly being abusive to a woman

but nobody stands up for a man when the roles are reversed.

So an "alarming increase" , in my opinion, is nothing more than proof that "if a woman says she got slapped, the man goes to jail"

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
People tend to emulate what they saw as kids from their own parents. I don't think media really has that much sway. You see your dad hit mom, and she takes it...thats what a kid sees as normal from then on. If you want to see who messed your kids up, it's easy go look in the mirror.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Who said anything about race? You're not one of those 'non0-bigot bigots' who immediately associate terms like 'urban' and 'gansta' with people of a certain color, are you? You should see the cracker-trash who have successfully merged the stereotypically 'white' trailer park lifestyle with the stereotypically 'black' ghetto-trash lifestyle. It's a majestic sight to behold. At once you get a klansman bastard clothed in the baggy hip-hop garb speaking as though he came from inner city anywhere rocking out to the latest Lil Wayne then spraying racist 'tags' all over town.

As long as people embrace stupidity as what's 'hip' or 'cool' this circus will just go on.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Of course I see your point, but hospital admissions and coroner reports I think seem to back up the severity of the abuse women endure.

www.aph.gov.au...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Its a combination of the media and the poison they feed to these children. This generation of humans eats more processed junk then ever before and they are also the most immersed in every form of media. The tv tells them bitches aint # and the food makes them angry, depressed and anti-social

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wonder if this type of violence is on the increase or are we being made more aware of it? I do not condone this type of violence, but I have to question the judgement of anybody who stays in a violent relationship.

I'd like to call attention to something that I have observed. A few years ago I went back to college, I was in my late 30's, while the majority of students were in their late teens or early 20's. I sat behind a very good looking young woman who was in her 20's. On each side of me there was a young man about her age. The man to the right of me was always dressed neatly, well groomed and was taking college seroiusly. The man to my left wore ripped and soiled clothing, reeked of booze and cigarette smoke and really didn't give a damn. Both men were interested in the woman in front of me, but she wouldn't give the time of day to the guy on my right, while she practically threw herself at the guy on my left. Now I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know either guy well enough to know how he would treat that woman, but I'm pretty sure how I'd place the odds. This wasn't the only time that I noticed this happenning.

This is why I have to question the judgement of a person who stays in an abusive relationship. To me the saying "Hit me once, shame on you. Hit me twice, shame on me." comes to mind.

Think about this. Ask any cop, what type of call concerns him the most? Odds are He'll say a domestic violence call. I guy I worked with, was staying late to finish a project. When he was leaving he heard a scream and then saw a man dragging our new receptionist towards a car by her hair. He went to his car and got his pistol and held the man until the Police came. The man turned out to be the woman's ex-husband. Not only did the woman refuse to press charges, my friend lost his job for having a gun on company property.

I'm not even going to get into the accuracy of any poll involving teenagers at this time.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sadly, I'd have to say this is nothing new. Abuse in relationships amongst teens is always going to exist.

Relationships are fresh and new to them, and sometimes they over step their bounds while trying on the "new shoes," that an exclusive relationship offers.

It's about learning balance, and control. It's about learning how to respect people.

While these statistics are shocking, and I believe them, this is just what it is. A learning curve for young people who claim to be in love.

What makes me sadder, is that some people never learn to outgrow this.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Dating violence seems to be on the increase.

family.samhsa.gov...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Once they stopped corporal punishment, and teens were enabled to do whatever the hell they wanted without fear of retribution...and the sexualization of young girls was a wholesale commodity, where Virtue, and Chasity were tossed in the ash can as crappy ideas...and no ones daughters could be safe...not even in grade school...society lost.

Teenage males think they have the right to pop every girl from 5 to 18...and the girls deserve it to boot. Prosecute them for statutory rape...and lawyers will try to get the kid off...even if she is impregnated. Boys are out of control. They have lost sight of all reality, and personal responsibility. Not only to themselves, but to society as a decent citizen. Nearly all of their roles models are either celebrities, or sports stars. A world of high rollers, glitz, glamor, drugs and very few morals...To wit; Tiger Woods as recent example.
It isn't much better for the young girls...who watch famous uber-skanks parade around like drug addled whores, sucking on every face they can...and wondering how or why their cell phone recorded oral jobs get posted on YOU TUBE?

We allowed this to happen folks. No one would grab them by the neck, and tell them they weren't going to go down this path of self destruction. Now we have a culture of young people who rudely tell adults to go to hell, every chance they get...they want it all, and they want it now. No one is going to stop them. We owe it to them?

So, kids see bad relationships at home, bad relationships of their friends, and watch violence in movies, videos, on the streets...and this is their mentors. No young girl has a chance, with these warped individuals.

My opinion is, let them stew in their own juices, and rot from the inside out. They and society will learn a bitter lesson in the end.

The kids who have a brain, morals, parental guidance and ambition to succeed honestly, will be the next generation of great citizens...the rest will eat themselves alive chasing stupid ass ideas, while flaunting societal conventions. Let them learn the hard way. Punks never prosper.

They will learn violence is the wrong answer. Force is the wrong attitude. You will never succeed with a criminal enterprise. Violence has never been COOL!
It always leads to prison sooner or later.

You young girls had better smarten up and fast. Your not doing yourselves any favors from the examples we see in the news...

Some of you have more mileage and wear on you at 22, than most older folks do at 80....and they're happier too. Not filled with cynicism, chlamydia and a mouth full of herpes sores...like you! Wise up!

top topics

join