It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truckers unite:is it time to strike?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

My plan is simple first start up a petition, second along the lines of what was suggested about stopping the trucks for a short period of time. Most drivers have either XM or Sirius radio. Stopping on the road way is dangerous and I will not recommend that. But a simple shutdown on the shoulder of the roadways for no more than 30 minutes will more than send the message to the uppers, we mean business. Just like in 1970, it took just a short time to get the point across.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

You know, all you hear on ATS is how the evil government, NWO, PTB, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, is holding us all back, etc. Then when someone proposes something that upsets the status quo it gets everyone's panties in a bunch. " You can't do that", "small business will suffer" and blah, blah, blah. People act like they want change but they can barely waddle away from their keyboards to go to the bathroom. Want change. Well it's gonna have to be a big "excrement" sandwich and we are all gonna have to take a bite. Don't give in to negativity. As I submit a negative post. A little irony is good for the blood.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
reply to post by whoshotJR

A small amount of training you say I am a certified CDL instructor for the tri-state area. Let me tell you all though the basics are usually taught in 8 weeks on average. It takes years to perfect. Just like any instrument I can teach you in 8 weeks the basics to play a piano, does this mean you will be a Carnegie hall pianist in that time.
To address just a few more of the comments I was also a volunteer fire fighter and a marine police officer for the state of New Jersey. And other than crooks, most of society respect and show respect to uniformed officers. Not because of the person they are but for the job they do. Oh and I also server in the US Army. FYI but thanks for the post.

That's my point though. In 8 weeks somebody can take your job and be qualified, its not that they will ever be as skilled as you but they can still do your job. That's the reason why a strike wont work.

As for your background, I salute you for your service and you had my respect anyway for making the post and standing up for what you feel is right. Sadly in today's world I think a trucker gets more respect then our officers though.

If you could pull a strike off I would love it but for the wrong reasons. I think the world needs a reset button and if it truly was a full strike that lasted even a month it could come close to doing just that. For that reason it wont happen. People will get passed through qualifications faster and scabs will just make more money.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Thank you for your post, I am not wining in any sense of the word, I know big business and big government will never listen to the people. But they will listen to there pocket books. Hurt them were it counts and it gets there attention. Truckers run this country like most of the world. Shutting down for just 30 min will through there entire schedule off. For those who don’t understand large trailer deliveries are scheduled in advance and when that truck is late it off sets the whole program. This hurts all the way through the chain. Truckers understand this. All I am asking for if nothing else is to lower the price at the pump diesel fuel is cheaper to manufacture than gasoline. Cost the same to deliver to the stations. So why then is in some cases double the price of gasoline. Because of supply and demand some would say. There is less diesel fuel used per day than gasoline. Really a good rig would get around 9 miles per gallon on average with a load. And carries 300 gallons on average. As in two 150 tanks one on each side. So the math does not add up as to say there is less need or supply requirement for diesel, bull. Actually in the USA we use more diesel than gasoline. And there is a higher demand for it, so they can charge what ever they feel like because they no, other than natural gas, there is no gasoline engine that can handle 80 thousand pounds. So they can hold us to the fire, and the only way to put some of that flame out is to strike.
I hope this has helped some of the none truckers out.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Thank you for your response and let me apologize if I took it to heart and responded in a negative way to your first post.
What I am trying to get people to understand is not so much a respect thing, but that as truckers we do have the power to affect there cash flow. And we have proven that in the past. Yes it would be nice to have the respect of others on the road. But I am trying to help everyone in the country. If we can get the fuel price down, it affects everything in everybody’s life. By bring down prices of every thing. If it’s cheaper to deliver the price of the item comes down. And the drivers in deservance not every drive, could make a fair wage. Just like at any job should be you do a better job than someone else you should earn more than some ones in the same job showing poor performance.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

I think you misunderstood. I don't think your whining at all. At least you put something on the table. That counts for something. Damn right. Hit em where it hurts. The pocketbook.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The time of night on the east coast is now 6.30 pm when the truck stops start to fill up as drivers settle in for some well deserved food and rest. As the night runners like myself, when I was on the road would be starting to head out hoping with the lesser traffic on the roadways could put some serious miles behind me before the morning rush hour. It’s a tougher job then some think, the driving part is easy right you drive every day in your car. Well let’s put that aside for now. On the road away from family and friends for 12 to 14 days at a time, and when you do get home your lucky if you can get three days before turning around and doing it all over again. The truck stop is our home away from home, providing a community with showers, food, washing machines and dryers, most have shopping places in them some have movie theaters free for the drivers. Pinball and other arcade type games. We get no overtime; we work an average of 15 hours a day leaving enough time for sleep, and limited time for socializing. There are many ways to get paid some by the hour mainly local drivers. But over the road is paid by miles. So if your stuck in traffic and moving at a rate of 30 miles per hour or less at an average price of 0.28 cents a mile you made a whole 8 dollars for that hour. If your lucky and can put 350 to 500 miles for the day. You made your 100 dollars for the day not bad till you take into the fact you put in a 15 hour day. Well you fig it out cause it makes me sick, when I think how hard and what is sacrificed to make what I can make flipping burgers. It wasn’t always this way. And there are a lot of dedicated drivers out there many without families, and this is a great job for them, get paid to see the country I highly recommend it to any one. But for a guy just trying to do the job he loves and support his family is no longer feasible. As I told my students this job is not for everyone, you either love it or you hate it there is no in-between in this business if you’re over the road. Now with the increasing stresses of the job for a family man the job becomes less and less enjoyable. As your bank acct becomes smaller and smaller. Because on this 10 dollar on hour job, you are supporting two house holds one with your family, and the other your rig, buying food, washing clothes, shopping and all that goes with running a house.
My point being with all this the experts on the road are retiring or taking local jobs. And the young rookies now out number the experts on the road, and this creates for a not as safe environment. And the down fall of our respect. If we could only get the prices down, and the salaries back to where they should be, I know a lot of drivers even in there sixties that would love to hit the road again and get back to the life they so enjoyed. And as we call the experts, old timers, will keep these rookies in line and give the honest advice that comes with this wisdom. Helping to keep the roadways of America and around the world safe for all who travel.
I hope I was able to give you just a slight glimpse into the life of a trucker. But if you have any questions at all from learning to what to expect, any thing regarding trucking at all please ask I will answerer to the best of my ability and if I don’t know the answerer I will find it for you.
I will never lye to you or give you a misleading suggestion, your life as well as those who travel around you depend on honest and straight forward answers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

reply to post by concernedcitizan

Thank you for your post, I am not wining in any sense of the word, I know big business and big government will never listen to the people. But they will listen to there pocket books. Hurt them were it counts and it gets there attention. Truckers run this country like most of the world. Shutting down for just 30 min will through there entire schedule off. For those who don’t understand large trailer deliveries are scheduled in advance and when that truck is late it off sets the whole program. This hurts all the way through the chain. Truckers understand this. All I am asking for if nothing else is to lower the price at the pump diesel fuel is cheaper to manufacture than gasoline. Cost the same to deliver to the stations. So why then is in some cases double the price of gasoline. Because of supply and demand some would say. There is less diesel fuel used per day than gasoline. Really a good rig would get around 9 miles per gallon on average with a load. And carries 300 gallons on average. As in two 150 tanks one on each side. So the math does not add up as to say there is less need or supply requirement for diesel, bull. Actually in the USA we use more diesel than gasoline. And there is a higher demand for it, so they can charge what ever they feel like because they no, other than natural gas, there is no gasoline engine that can handle 80 thousand pounds. So they can hold us to the fire, and the only way to put some of that flame out is to strike.
I hope this has helped some of the none truckers out.

I know big business and big government will never listen to the people. But they will listen to there pocket books. Hurt them were it counts and it gets there attention.

You are absolutely right! And let me say that Truckers get the shaft in this country, and people need to wake up and realize without our Truckers we wouldn't have anything that we all take for granted! I have always admired Truckers for they make a daily sacrifice, being away from family and home...
If a strike is what it takes to wake up this country then so be it..I for one am willing to do without, just to make a point..
God Bless and stay safe!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The problems of 'The American Trucker' Are many and very complicated! We are the third most regulated in the nation. We are the most vilified and abused by State governments. We are blamed for 80-90 percent of the problems with road deterioration. The fact is because most of us are independent souls, we are seen as the cash cow for local and state governments.
Finding a company that will hire and let loose an '8 week wonder' on the roads with equipment and insurance that runs 200,000 + cargo/year are few and far between. The poor kid that does get hired in this manner is going to make large and costly errors for the first year he is employed! We are taxed beyond belief. Our licenses cost 3-4 times as much as others. Many of us are under the scrutiny of Homeland Security. I have to have a special permit (TWIC, Transportation Workers Identification Credential) that cost's me 135.00 every 4 years plus a new investigation every renewal. I have to have another license for hazardous materials that goes through Homeland Security and is in addition to two other clearance investigations. I pay out of pocket just for licenses 486.00/year just to earn 14,00/hour, no overtime and no benefits.

We need to strike. We need to be given the respect of other avocations. We are not an unskilled labor force. We take our lives and those of the very foolish motorists seriously.

Zindo

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thank you zindodoone, for adding more of the specific cost we face as drivers whether we are owner or not. These are bills we must pay out of pocket without re-imbursement from what ever company we may be working for.
Our tax program worked so well in the past we need to bring that one back.
You may recall some time ago the trailers you saw on the road had a sign on them, stating the average road driver paid 5000 dollars a year in taxes. Now it is even higher.
Also the safety zone was a good promotion for us to keep the four wheelers from hanging in our blind spots.
These types of public announcements if you will can help further our cause and wake the regular person up even if just a little. After all it is when you come down to it a P.R. issue the more info we can get out there, the better our chance is to get things under control.

This may shock most people, but as CDL drivers we probable have the largest government overseers watching us like hawks.
DOT = department of transportation.
They are the ones who like a regular patrol officer enforce trucking regulations, speeding safety checks, run the weight stations. And give our fines, when these regulations are violated.

Homeland Security = to do background checks and approve security clearance for such endorsements as hazardous materials. And passenger endorsement needed for all bus drivers, charters, schools and city busses alike.

I hold all endorsements as a licensed trainer. And I have a few more agencies to answer too.
FBI, US Marshals and divisions of the local law enforcement agencies as well.

So if you add all this info up, we have security clearance issued by the government, we have strict over site; wait a minute kind describes a congressional committee. That was to lighten the mood at little.

And with all this going on and required by all drivers they still label us un- skilled labor.
Amazing we go through the same things as any law enforcement agency, but I guess all cops and FBI and all the others also should be considered un-skilled, but owe wait local law enforcement go through and 8 week training program as well. Hey that’s just like us.
But they get to carry a gun and wear a fancy uniform. But wait a uniform so do most drivers, UPS, gas companies the list goes on. And some of us are licensed gun carriers as well. Armored car drivers, and some drivers like me licensed in 42 states, and I think that has gone up to 46 states but would have to confirm that.

We are just trying to give the average person a little more inside information about the trucking industry and deliver that info open and honestly and sometimes with a little humor.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Now a days with companies that will remain nameless hiring unqualified dime a dozen good for nothing shouldn’t be driving a car let alone and 80 thousand pound rig.

Are you in Australia?

I've been driving semis for 8 years. A friend of mine attended a TILE course (Training In Lieu of Experience) which is a 2 day theory course, which means a driver can go straight from a car license to a learner's permit for a semi. He told me one of the "drivers" who passed it didn't even know how to operate a manual gearbox in a car. Any truck driver knows this means he would have no chance in hell of operating an 18 speed roadranger box.

With "tough new laws" we recently had here, a lot of older and experienced drivers quit or retired early, creating employment opportunities for people who simply can't drive a heavy vehicle properly, which means accidents will skyrocket. This will reflect on all of us.

Anyone who hires these people should be charged with manslaughter once they kill someone.

[edit on 5/12/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Interesting thought about the charging companies that would be cool. But no I live on the east coast grew up in New Jersey and taught for New Jersey New York and Pennsylvania. And I currently live down in the southern states still on the east coast.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Sunday, a day of rest for most truckers, but unlike other people drivers are stuck in a rest area, truck stop. They cant jump on a plane to head home for the day, some will attend church in a small on site chapel, some will catch up on well needed sleep, some will get there wash done make calls home and maybe spend some time on the internet. Take in a movie, socialize do some shopping, clean the rig or get repairs done.
But even with all this activity, after a time you begin to get bored walking around the truck stop, some might take there cab and go sight seeing. But most will just ache to get back on the road. Driving gives you a lot of time to think and to discover who you are; it’s a time of self discovery and day dreams. And the second your mandatory hours of downtime are up, you fire up the rig wait for the air pressure to raise start your logbook.
When you hear that sneeze, push the release buttons in, stick the rig into low and begin to roll on out. Some with a lot of miles to cover before there Monday morning delivery, other’s maybe just a few exits away. That was me, I was always right around the corner and it would suck to be honest with you bored to death hanging out in the truck stop, would be even worse sitting at my delivery for 12 or more hours. I just hated Sunday, when I was on the road. But other than that it’s a job I cried over when I had to shut down my rig for good. And one day when we get back all that we have lost, I will jump for joy as I fire her back up and roll on out. Until then I will work from here trying to get us back on track, and I pray for all of you still on the road, and salute you for your service to this nation, without you guys there would be no nation.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Where I drive, half of the driving jobs have now been taken over by 'legal' aliens.
We are slowly being reduced to a third world nation.

One day no actual americans will have jobs, driving or otherwise.
We will be the ones working in the fields.
Wont be long now,....we're halfway there.

Great thread!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Thank you for your post and yes the Mexicans have been eating up the driving industry, some may recall the super highway they tried to get past luckily we were able to stop that one, but it is just a matter of time before they do open it and then we are all in trouble.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I was raised by a "trucker", and have seen many things happen.

In fact, I have some big ties with some big time company owners, not a personal relationship but family connections.

What has happened is that trucking companies have become a corporatist wheel. No longer do the "real" owners run the places, but big time businessmen looking to take in every penny possible.

Let me say a few things.

The restrictions are getting absurd. Time cuts due to corporate policy where truckers can only have so much time on the road, despite past track record. Those who would work 80-90 hours a week, may now be getting 20-30 hours less (all overtime too). That is a SEVERE cut.

Do not wear a seat belt? A week suspension if caught by a police officer (which will sit on the high ways with binoculars and TRY to catch truckers)

A WEEK.

When families are surviving on week to week pay checks, a week will hurt you for a year.

Never was this a problem when it was owned by the "creators"...but as I said, it is all investment teams who want to stamp the word QUALITY across everything.

Ten years ago, being a trucker was a very promising job. Now it is one filled with stress, constant time restraints, and a "just average" life style.

KEEP ON TRUCKING.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

It won't work. The company drivers will still drive. The independents will just wave around signs. Loads will still move. In the end, nothing will be gained. If the company drivers walked, then you would have something, but we both know that isn't going to happen.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Unfortunately you are prolly right.
The "legal aliens" will just step in and take them all away.
The ones that are left anyway.
They will work for much less and work for way longer hours,
never bitch and take less and less pay.
Thus, making it nearly impossible for anyone else to make a living.
Unless you like living in a plywood box with 21 other people that is.
As well they dont care if they have insurance or not.
They are prolly already on assistance!
Not bashing illegals here, just saying, from my personal experience....

We are a local company and as such are not bound by hour laws.
We can drive as many hours as we would like too basically.
Screw spending time with family...have to compete for our jobs now.
Not too reassuring for the rest of the peeps on the road either,
I might add...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Thank you all for your input.

Just a little FYI, as a own operator myself locally in Florida, we do have some hour restrictions not many mind you and how they get around that is under the agriculture laws, during harvest time, there are no limits on the hours you can drive. Also as a local driver they figure you are spending more time sitting some place making deliveries compared to physically driving. Either way it sucks, because of competition we are stuck working around the clock with no overtime because most companies down here pay percentage of the load. Another way around paying overtime. For hourly employees it is the law locally or not, to get paid time and half for any hours exceeding 40 in a single work week.

Know I will tell you a well kept secret that I only reveal to my students when I was instructing.

First have you ever noticed why the older drivers who do know this as they approach a weigh station they through out there cigarettes?

As a CDL operator we fall under federal law, we can always do greater than but never less than federal law, example local law says you must park 25ft from a fire hydrant but fed says 100 ft what do you do? You park at 100ft. Now say the local law is 125ft fed is still 100ft what you do? That’s right you park at the 125ft. that’s a simple definition to explain how we are to respond to local laws.

Now with that explained, why we through out our smokes on approach. Many rooky officers do not no this themselves, but the upper rank is well aware. Under federal law, it is illegal to wear a seatbelt. Didn’t know that did you. But how many of you ever gone to court to fight it? The law states that it is illegal to use a restraining device on a person or persons in a public place. Our rig is a public place, and but also under this same law you can not smoke in a public place.

I know this as fact because I never wear a seatbelt and I have been stopped for it by a dot officer at a weigh station. And simple asked to see the highest ranking officer on location. The dot got the captain, told him why he had pulled me to the side, the captain looked at smiled and told his officer to let me go because I new the law better than the officer. But if you guys don’t question them and stay blind to the laws we must run under you can only blame yourself.

Also the fine for smoking is like 500 dollars and a seatbelt fine is usually less then 50 bucks. So pick your battles carefully.

As far as striking goes I am talking about a 30 min sit out, that is easy to pull off even for company drivers but more importantly a petition to the government explaining our grievances should jump start something.

Still waiting on a lawyer to draw up the petition that we could sign, and have it posted online some were as well as printed out for all the truck stops.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This thread has gone quiet, over the past few months because the price at the pump drop slightly, now be prepared they are already talking about a price increase again. With most of America focusing on health care bill being shoved down our throats, this is understandable. How ever we must no let this rest, the price will rise, the government will force the super highway allowing the drivers from Mexico to cross and drive on our roads in junk trucks that wouldn’t pass rookies pre-trip, let alone any weight station in our country. But our President is make deals constantly and is in bed with Mexico as they force the economy into a un recoverable land slide so our two countries can become one. We need that petition drawn up, and we need it now. We need to keep the focus on America, as they cry out health care to keep us distracted, as they make deals behind closed doors and king BO, makes executive orders to bring about his Marxist views. Please do not let this awareness of the importance of well trained drivers slip through the cracks. All lives that drive our road ways are in danger. It is bad enough they are taken jobs here, but at least here they are trained and driving equipment that has passed safety inspections. God helps us all if they start running there junk and none trained drivers on our highways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join