It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job market shows big improvement!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Yes, it's just seasonal hiring.
UPS says they are hiring 50,000 people to just help get all the
Christmas packages shipped.
When January 2010 arrives about 40,000 will be laid off.

Most small businesses are reluctant to grow and hire people
because of the 2 guns being pointed at them by the Obama
administration. - ObamaCare and Cap & Trade -

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

Originally posted by Phlegmi
I bet its because of seasonal hiring. Retail stores have to hire extra help for the holidays, I bet the unemployment will jump back up in January.

That is a possibility, but why didn't we see the same trend last year?

Last year the world was falling apart financially. Every business reacted by trimming hours / not hiring as much. My wife worked at a big Department store, they didn't hire hardly any extra help last year.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

This happens EVERY year at this time, its a Christmas push for profit..... there WILL be a layoff in January for all the seasonal hires.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The economy is still continuing to shed jobs even with seasonal Christmas hiring. Should the Christmas retail season prove to be a poor one, it will create another round of bankruptcies and closures in the retail section which has a snowball effect all across the board. This is likely the quiet before that storm.

Most of the uptick in real estate sales is from foreign investors buying U.S. properties at bargain basement prices.

Sadly unlike the past real estate bubble where huge profits were made that were then often spent in large portion in the retail sector, most of these sales barely cover the cost of the existing mortgages and don’t really inject any money into the economy.

Car sales are up slightly which is a good indicator but that too could just turn out to be people putting off purchases who no longer can due to the necessity of needing a vehicle which is entirely likely as car sales have been down over 60% for well over a year and a half.

The harsh reality is that the government didn’t do anything with the Bail Out funds to create any real jobs in the manufacturing segment. They handed out a lot of money to banks, and government agencies on the Federal, State, and Local Levels.

Unfortunately just like the Homeland Security Money made available to local governments a lot of that money is just being used to beef up the resources of what is increasingly a police state.

Probably for good reason as food riots and pockets of unrest due to the economy can’t be far off.

New poll numbers published by CNN yesterday showed Obama’s approval rating dropping to 48% even before his Afghanistan speech was delivered. In the article CNN used the word White Voters 22 times in describing the reasons for the downward trend. That’s not a good sign, as the mainstream media still is playing the race card in regards to Obama’s plummeting popularity.

Every real indicator out there suggests this will get a lot worse before it get’s better. I hope I am wrong, but I am not banking on that!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This president is not responsible for the current panic, Wall Street is. Obama just came on board after the SHTF and after the Bush administration had already approved the first stimulus.

Now a lot of people think Obama is totally responsible for the poor economy and must find a magic bullet to get the recession/depression over in less than a year.

This administration has said repeatedly that it takes time for the stimuli to work. Many responsible economists have said that a world-wide depression has been averted, largely because of the stimuli provided by the U.S., but that doesn't mean instant recovery. The administration has said plainly that jobs will be one of the last indicators of a turnaround.

During the last election my husband predicted that whoever got the presidency would be totally blamed for the poor economy, and it turns out he was right.

Put the blame where it belongs -- on the reckless greed of Wall Street.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I liked Obama at first, so what follows is from a FORMER follower.

He was is a part of the problem and is 100% responsible for everything on his watch!
He participated in passing laws that have come to roost and now that he is in the drivers seat, made little to NO positive changes. his cabinet is a joke (filled with in my opinion "CRIMINALS") added to the problem with more debt and payola for the rich that created the banking frauds in the first place, so saying he inherited the problem is more gobble gook, he was a part of the fiasco from the beginning.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by svpwizard]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

To me a big improvment would be actual increases, rather than a decrease in unemployed. I gues that could be spun a way or 2.

But what cant be spun is its "Christmas Rush" season finally this year, when I normally make up for slow periods during the year, yet theres maybe a 10% increase in business this year, over the last which was about 82% down from the already abysmal rush the year before. And all we deal with is higher income people who want our exotic and premium technology luxaries. i.e. people with higer incomes arent as much around at all, or the ones who are dont spend, still this year like the last. I shouldnt even have time to be on this site this month or the last.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
long term government forecasts are grim.

www.moneyandmarkets.com...

don't believe the hype. protect yourself.

peace.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueTruth
long term government forecasts are grim.

www.moneyandmarkets.com...

don't believe the hype. protect yourself.

peace.

Things won't be getting any better until these graphs change considerably, ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1c61034f009.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/241a0fca9cbf.jpg[/atsimg]

SOURCE

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
I bet its because of seasonal hiring. Retail stores have to hire extra help for the holidays, I bet the unemployment will jump back up in January.

On the governments Bureau of Labor Statistics website they explain where the jobs were lost and gained, ...

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- NOVEMBER 2009

The unemployment rate edged down to 10.0 percent in November, and nonfarm payroll employment was essentially unchanged (-11,000), the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. In the prior 3 months, payroll job losses had averaged 135,000 a month. In November, employment fell in construction, manufacturing, and information, while temporary help services and health care added jobs.

Household Survey Data

In November, both the number of unemployed persons, at 15.4 million, and the unemployment rate, at 10.0 percent, edged down.

If you go to the link I posted above, they go into a lot more detail in where jobs were lost or gained, like the 9.2 million people who are working part time because they can't find a full time job, ...

The number of people working part time for economic reasons (sometimes re-ferred to as involuntary part-time workers) was little changed in November at 9.2 million. These individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job. (Seetable A-5.)

That is quite a big drop in people becoming unemployed though!

From losing an average of 135,000 jobs a month the prior 3 months to losing only 11,000 jobs in November!

[edit on 12/8/2009 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join