It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job market shows big improvement!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Job market shows big improvement!

money.cnn.com

Job losses fall to lowest level of recession and unemployment posts biggest drop in more than three years.

U.S. payrolls slipped 11,000 jobs in the month, far below any of the job losses posted over the last 23 months. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had forecast a loss of 125,000 jobs in November.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Looks like this is going to be the big news of the day, This is GREAT news!!! But is it the truth or propaganda? Regardless this is going to be used by the Obama Administration to back up his economic policies, if this thing sticks expect higher approval ratings!

I don't know what to believe, the next few months hold the truth, but for now it looks like things MIGHT be improving, or it might all just be propaganda.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I bet its because of seasonal hiring. Retail stores have to hire extra help for the holidays, I bet the unemployment will jump back up in January.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
I bet its because of seasonal hiring. Retail stores have to hire extra help for the holidays, I bet the unemployment will jump back up in January.

That is a possibility, but why didn't we see the same trend last year?

Last year during the holiday seasons we seen a snowball effect in job losses then afterwards jobs losses started tapering down and it seems we have been seeing the same trend all the way up till this moment.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Does this equate to actual jobs, or to peoples unemployment benefits running out?
You do know that they only post the figures for people actively eligible and drawing unemployment benefits, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Losing jobs is good news? Unemployment is still around 17.5 % or so.... which is not good at all.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueTruth

Losing jobs is good news?

Talk about spin.......

Yes, Talk about spin, as in spinning the meaning of my words.

Obviously I was talking about it being good news compared to the jobless reports over the past 2 years.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It's not 'good' news. It's just less bad news.

There's still no sign of a recovery, or reason to expect one.

Seems to me a little like, a diabetes patient celebrating only losing 2 toes this year when last year he lost 3.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by TrueTruth]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueTruth

It's not 'good' news. It's just less bad news.

Are you really wasting bandwidth to complain about the way i word my sentences.

There's still no sign of a recovery, or reason to expect one.

I never said there was, I said it could be propaganda. I'm not completely closed off to both sides of the debate though.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueTruth

Seems to me a little like, a diabetes patient celebrating only losing 2 toes this year when last year he lost 3.

Hardly comparable, unless that patient can grow those toes back.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It's not about wording - it's about meaning.

The government loves to feed us false hope. All they know how to do is lie.

Many experts expect unemployment to get even worse in 2010, as there is no indication of recovery.

That's all. It's not really you I'm frustrated with, it's the lies we're fed.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I guess gloom and doom has seized the day.

Either that or everyone here has become so fed up with the lies over the last two years, there is no way to try and spin it.

It is like the hockey puck graph in the Global Warming scam.

They are trying to convince us AGAIN that the rate at which we are shedding jobs has dropped. NICE, let us go out and celebrate, oh wait, we still lost more jobs.

Why are we suppose to celebrate again?

Wait, employment is a lagging indicator.

Yay, let us celebrate, wait when are the jobs coming back?

But what about those 1 million jobs they created? Yay, oh wait, it was actually closer to 100k jobs and not created, only saved for $500k/year per $50k job.

Excellent work there Obama AND the REST of you asshats out there in all of the world's governments.

What was all of that money for again, oh, to spread the wealth to the rich.

You can kind of see why everyone is a LOT gun shy about getting hopeful and a lot of why everyone is a LOT pissed about our government.

Anyway OP, thanks for trying to cheer us unemployed, underemployed and underpaid workers of the World.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Are these numbers politically skewed?

Are the same people involved with these numbers also dealing with climate data?

.2% ?

WOW, I'm impressed.

At least they tried to make it believable.

How many fell off of the official unemployment lists because their benefits ran out and still cannot find work?

The answer to that question would change the whole equation.

But if you like believing in fantasies, its all good.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well, great news is a stretch...what we hopefully see soon is job increases.

We are still in bad shape because we are judging good news by how many less gunshot wounds we recieved than regular.

all about the growth. I am a Obama guy, but beyond that, I will judge him how he stated to be judged..on how well the economy is doing. And its still dying...just slower than before.

Next issue is sustained economic upturn...creating temp jobs will only temp fix the economy. This is of course the argument against stimulus as its a false sense economy...If its convincing, then it can be a kickstart for overall improvement, but so long as media and whatnot (rightfully) tells the truth, then it will have less luck being a silver bullet to get things going...one of those peculiar instances where if you tell the truth, things may not improve...but if you lie and say things will be alright, then things actually may be alright (if people believe it and go a bit crazy with their cash).

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I can only speak from a personal perspective.....

As a small time manufacturer who makes and markets a very unessential product; my sales have dramatically increased to the point where I am considering rehiring an employee I was forced to lay off during the Bush administration. His obscene gasoline hike to $4.00 a gal kicked the profit out of my product because of travel cost incurred in my marketing.

Also as part owner of a retail space, I see the economy improving if increased sales is an indicator and folks paying with cash rather than CCs.
I pray that this trend continues and increases; then perhaps I can rehire the rest of my help that I had to let go, both full time, temps and pieceworkers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What a coincidence. Yesterday, Obama holds a "job conference". and today the government announces these figures.
The key point is that these are GOVERNMENT figures, the same government that lies to us about everything else. Anyone that BELIEVES these figures are real, needs to see a shrink!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Non Farm payroll data reflects the number of Americans receiving a payroll check via the major payroll companies such as ADP.

Perhaps the data is factual.

I always like to take a look at John Williams' site, shadowstats.com to get the more honest assessment of economic data though.
He apparently uses a more realistic approach to his calculations than that of the US Dept. of Labor/Govt. does.

On a positive note:
There has been an increase in the existing home sales possibly due to the first time home buyer tax incentives which were good through the end of November.

More home sales will mean more retail sales of lawnmowers, snow blowers, and home appliances for example, all of which will provide jobs in manufacturing.
The worst hit sector of the jobs market for several years now.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we might be seeing the bottom of this recessionary trend because it certainly won't just reverse and just occur overnight.

We will need to see a tapering/slow down of unemployment before we'll see jobs growth return.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17That is a possibility, but why didn't we see the same trend last year?

Last year during the holiday seasons we seen a snowball effect in job losses then afterwards jobs losses started tapering down and it seems we have been seeing the same trend all the way up till this moment.

Yeah but the unemployment rate was 6.7% last November as opposed to 10% this year. Consider this factor and the pressure it puts on the decision to gearup for christmas rather than downsize as was done last year. Most business have already downsized during this year but this wasn't the case last year.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Exactly!

Convenient timing, or simply incredible coincidence?

If this government tells people that they will make everyone rich without jobs and it gets reported in the MSM a multitude of people will believe it.

If they convince everyone that higher taxes through health care reform and energy reforms will be beneficial to the lives of every American they would also believe that... Oh wait, they already do.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi

Of course its lies, how many stories are just bull.

They know just say it on tv, and you will believe it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join