It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US only cuts 11,000 jobs in Nov.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The fewest lost jobs since Dec. 07 but I am finding hard to beleive that the job loss was so little. If this is true its got to be only because of the holiday seasonal type jobs. I know here in MI I have a but who's GM plant just went idle with no return date and that plant alone has 3400 hourly workers. 11,000 jobs lost just seems to little compared to all the previous months. So lets all be prepared to here Obama come out and say how his stimilus and job creation is working. Lets see what fake data comes out now about districts that don't exist. I'm curious to see when Jan. and Feb. comes how many jobs will be lost then its always the slowest time of the year for everyone. I bet when Jan. and Feb. comes we will see the unemployment sky rocket again and all the people not counted that have just givin up is gonna sky rocket too. so many food charitys and food banks are running out of food like never before.
Link

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by haringr

Retailers did most of the hiring, not exactly a good thing. By January they will all be laid off again.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Quite so. Service industry as well, Starbucks and it's associated ilk. Hire tons to get through the christmas rush, fire them in January to get a good bottom line.

Its a disgusting industry, glad I got out of it.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Talk about false positives.

That number will surely prove illusory:

www.boston.com...

NEW YORK - A decline in sales at the nation’s retailers in November after two consecutive months of gains is an ominous warning sign for the holiday shopping season and for an economy in the early stages of a fragile recovery.

Many merchants may be forced to discount more than they planned to get financially strapped holiday shoppers to buy after last weekend’s respectable bargain buying surge didn’t offset weak spending for the rest of the month.

The 0.3 percent decline, according to one measure, is especially worrisome because it comes on top of a freefall last November as spooked shoppers went into a defensive crouch after the financial meltdown

Can't see where anything but bankruptcy is in the near future for a lot of retailers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This statistic is complete nonsense. The reason why less people were laid-off recently is because they were laid-off previously and are now unemployed. The government (and media) can't even track the amount of people who are unemployed at the present time because many people's unemployment benefits have now run out, so they're no longer being counted...these statistics are all hogwash...we need to start our own businesses if we want to create new jobs and a new economy...independence is the name of the game...sorry for the rant.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by polychronopolis]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

they know how to track it full well. they CHOOSE not too.
it much easier for them to try and blow smoke up our butts to try and hide how bad this is.

the clock is ticking down though. someone is going to find the dog poop in the corner and when they do the jig is up.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow, great news. The green shoots are bursting through the cloudcover as a new day of limitless economic growth dawns. Amazing how quick giving all of our money to the richest, most powerful among us has come back to us. Why if we keep only losing 11,000 jobs a month I'll be out of the gutter and back on easy street in no time.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This headline should simply read:

Americans: Spend money for the Holidays! Trust us! Spend money! It's all good!

In essence, that's really the only point to it and as already pointed out the majority of jobs that were filled were seasonal employment and not at all indicative of a permanent recovery in the jobs sector.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Maybe you're right...but I have a feeling that they are asleep at the wheel on some stuff...based upon my dealings with government bureaucracy...Either way...it sucks...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
This headline should simply read:

Americans: Spend money for the Holidays! Trust us! Spend money! It's all good!

In essence, that's really the only point to it and as already pointed out the majority of jobs that were filled were seasonal employment and not at all indicative of a permanent recovery in the jobs sector.

They Live!!
I love that movie.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I was hired at Wal-mart for the holiday season.

They're cutting people's hours already, and Christmas hasn't got here yet. Sales are way down.

"only 11,000 jobs" is still more people who are out of work. How is any type of loss instead of growth touted as a good thing?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I was hired at Wal-mart for the holiday season.

They're cutting people's hours already, and Christmas hasn't got here yet. Sales are way down.

"only 11,000 jobs" is still more people who are out of work. How is any type of loss instead of growth touted as a good thing?

You obviously haven't been getting your daily dose of MSM. Slightly less loss is the new growth. Everybody knows it's bad and getting worse but lo and behold the billions of little green band-aids are doing their job on America's financial gut wound. Now we'll suture all the band-aids together and problem solved.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by wanderingwaldo]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's more because there aren't many more to lose ...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
reply to post by Rockpuck

Quite so. Service industry as well, Starbucks and it's associated ilk. Hire tons to get through the christmas rush, fire them in January to get a good bottom line.

Its a disgusting industry, glad I got out of it.

If they even wait until January. I worked in retail management from the late 70s to mid 90s and a couple of the companies I worked for would lay out how many people could be hired and for how long. This was made known to the employee before they started but I remember in '89 having to let go of two people a couple of days before Christmas when they were supposed to work through January for inventory.

I had actually enjoyed working in the business but that set my disillusionment in motion. One of them was a single mom that hadn't worked in six months and was just happy to have a job again. I'll never forget it. Retail stopped being about the customers or employees right around that time and it hasn't been the same since.

I agree with others in this thread as well. I'm sick of this "not as bad is good" nonsense. These double talking snake oil salesmen epitomize putting lipstick on a pig.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
It's a TOTAL lie !

Obama, politicians, newspapers, the market watch only a FRAUDULENT number, the SHORT TERM unemployment, which does not include people who gave up looking for a job. Those people are still without a job but politicians IGNORE them !

In november, there were EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSANDS people who gave up looking for a job, so the short term unemployment figure jumped by 800,000, while the overall unemployment figure still increased... above SEVENTEEN percent.

That's what rejoiced Obama and others, they even dared to say that unemployment 'dropped' as if it was falling from the sky, but it was only 0.2% (which was not even true as I said).

It's total manipulation of the market, public opinion, and total disrespect for those who are without a job. It's also an organized crime because short sellers, who see the situation deteriorating, have their money taken away with such manipulation.

It's time people WAKE UP. If all the people who gave up looking for a job reapplied, it would make the 10% figure jump to 17% overnight, and the scheme would be obvious to everybody, unless, of course, they come up with another outright manipulation... like maybe, counting only the people who were unemployed during the last two days.
That would make their useless bailouts look very good indeed LOLLLL

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
So the depression is over and we are seeing growth again. What a minute I was under the impression you needed to see jobs actually being created for this to be truly over. Hmm maybe I dont understand or maybe they are trying to blow smoke up my you know what. I was also wondering mind you I am no expert but how does unemployment drop if we are still are loosing jobs? I would like to ask that one simple question lets see if anyone has the guts to answer it. I am pretty sure I know the answer but I could be wrong.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Yes, the 11,000 statistic itself is outta-whack,
and is not a reflection of the actual number.

The BLS uses the 'birth-death model'
and i'm certain the BLS used the average number of seasonal jobs
'birthed' during the holiday seasons of the last decade (1998-2008)

You readily see that 9 of those 10 years were during the 'total employment' and 'credit expansion' era...
so the stastical number of holiday hirings for 2009 are Way over-stated...compared to the present economic climate.

During the stastical period ('98-'06) when spending money was fast & loose & retailers & product Hawkers were behind every door, when 'flipping' houses was the rage, and when time-share salepersons were crammed sholder-to-shoulder Hawking 'Sun State' condo weekends for sale to the snow-bound auto-workers & others up north.
Yeah, those good-old-days.

but, today there are nowhere near the 100-200 thousand 'holiday jobs' being created - as their "birth-death model" suggests/implies,
just more feel-good propaganda from this administration which is just keeping the last administations lies & new-speak alive & well.
Even the downward Revisions for last Oct-Nov are fabricated distortions,
to help make believeable the "1 million jobs were saved" line-of-bull

[edit on 6-12-2009 by St Udio]

top topics

join