It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London CCTV to be streamed live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

London CCTV to be streamed live

news.bbc.co.uk

Cash prizes for catching CCTV criminals

In London, there are more CCTV cameras than any other city in the world with one camera for every eight Londoners.

But as victims of crime have found to their cost, catching criminals on camera is dependent on the equipment being both monitored and maintained.

One UK businessman thinks he has come up with a solution by recruiting volunteers to watch live CCTV footage streamed over the web in return for cash prizes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Is ‘Big Brother’ Watching You?: The Rise of the Surveillance Society
Project Hostile Intent – the real ‘Minority Report’

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Charles Farrier, from No CCTV, said: "Internet Eyes is a very worrying development - we are already the most watched country in the world. Now we have a private company asking private individuals to spy on each other."

So now the watched become the watchers?

This idea really worries me.

I don't like the idea of civilians being used in such a way. Its the perfect way to turn us against each other and has the potential to be so divisive its scary.

Also, to be paid to do so!

So they create this financial meltdown, then set up a system of spying that pays £1,000, knowing that desperate people will be willing to partake.

Thanks, but no thanks.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I don't have a problem with this actually. It's just an extension of the system which has employees sitting in front of a bank of screens.
A while back my powers of observation lead to the apprehension of a cash machine fraudster and a shop lifter. I was out and about and doing my shopping at the time. I don't see that it would have been that much different if I had been watching from my computer screen. And according to the website, the location of feeds is anonymous.
I know an elderly lady of 90 who was mugged last year. If it leads to one less such incident it will be worth it.
Great idea - I'm registering.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1

I don't have a problem with this actually. It's just an extension of the system

You don't have a problem with it?

Just an extension of the system, yes. A system that already intrudes far too much into the private activities of people about their daily lives doing nothing that breaks the law.

So your powers of observation already caught some criminals, good for you, so did mine. I caught a pickpocket in my former workplace, a pickpocket, I might add, that was not caught by the CCTV.

Oh, I know what's coming, "if you have nothing to hide.... etc...." But just because I have nothing to hide doesn't mean that anyone has the right to observe me 24/7 just to make sure. And hell, with people being arrested for things that are not even crimes and things like "politically ideological material" being seen as grounds to arrest people, and politicians who oppose the government being arrested on fabricated charges, who knows what I will be guilty of in a few short years if this march (Jog? Trot? Headlong sprint?) towards fascism continues at its current pace.

Did you know that it is now a crime in the UK to form a group meant to change political opinion? No? Well here is the law.

1 Terrorism: interpretation

(1) In this Act “terrorism” means the use or threat of action where—

(a) the action falls within subsection (2),

(b) the use or threat is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public, and

(c) the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause.

Link here, so you can read it in their own words.

www.opsi.gov.uk...

Yeah. The use or threat of action. (Any kind - they do not specify that is has to be violent or in any way a danger to the public, just action is enough. Believe me they do and will use this to arrest anyone they want.)

Now don't get confused that "action" is limited to subsection 2, because that is only "a". Anything in "b" or "c" is fair game, but it isn't spelled out so clearly. So technically, those guys outside your supermarket handing out leaflets about God are "advancing a religious cause" (terrorists) and those guys protesting the continuing presence in Afghanistan (terrorists) and pretty much anyone who disagrees with government policy (terrorists).

Ever opine that the government did something wrong? Well, you're now a "domestic terrorist".

Bet you didn't vote for that, eh?

Just a few links - there are MANY more to be found.

www.guardian.co.uk...

londonist.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

yeah I posted on another site where they were putting up the big brother TVs in all the major cities and hook them to the CCTV lines funny what if someone makes a mistake or dose it just to get even with someone they don't like what then ??? good post

top topics

join