It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas executes low-IQ convicted killer

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

An IQ between 60-80? Well if it was 70 or higher then he was not mentally impaired, even if it was between 60-70 that level of "mental impairment" is not enough so that someone would not know the consequences of murder, or "right" and "wrong". I agree with the decision to execute that man for his horrendous act of violence, furthermore, as stated above, I feel that even an IQ of 60-80 is not near low enough (unless there were other, non-IQ related mental dysfunctions, which apparently there was not) to affect this mans judgement or actions. I also agree with an earlier poster who stated capital punishment needs to be sped up, it takes WAY too long and costs WAY too much, but that is another thread.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There is a lot to this case, from reading other news reports and other statements of it, that muddy the waters...

BUT the one thing that rings true in my opinion, is that the guy was lieing. I wouldnt convict someone on my opinion, but read more about it. it just stinks.

what a horrible case... purely a nightmare in real life.

damn, if he was innocent and things happened as he said, OR if he was guilty and he tried to blame his cousin, it's just horrid.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
I also agree with an earlier poster who stated capital punishment needs to be sped up, it takes WAY too long and costs WAY too much, but that is another thread.

Thats where people lose me. SPED UP?

A life is not something to hurry up and kill, circumstances change, outcomes DONT.

Gods sake, what if something had been revealed that puts this bloke in the clear, and your will had been granted and he'd been put to death in 99?

Oops too late.

Oh well, lets kill the right guy this time.. And Quick!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Off topic but when I said "sped up" I didn't mean like in weeks or months, but simply a maximum time for appeals, like maybe 5 years.Then after that if nothing happened then it likely won't, especially with today's advanced criminology technology. Just my opinion though.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I wonder what that 11 year old girls IQ was?

Oh right, I guess we'll never know. I get a little upset over the attitude of some of these bleeding heart liberals who seem to forget about the rights of the VICTIM!

A child killer is a child killer, no matter how high, or how low the IQ.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Off topic but when I said "sped up" I didn't mean like in weeks or months, but simply a maximum time for appeals, like maybe 5 years.Then after that if nothing happened then it likely won't, especially with today's advanced criminology technology. Just my opinion though.

Ahh, no that makes sense.

In that I think we agree!

Cheers!!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
reply to post by Kryties

Oh right, I guess we'll never know. I get a little upset over the attitude of some of these bleeding heart liberals who seem to forget about the rights of the VICTIM!

In cases like this -

www.abc.net.au...

I am with you. In cases where the perp may be not guilty, I am not.

I'm just saying, I'm not here stating my opinion on the case.

The above news item makes me physically ill that it happened where I live. Id love nothing more than to wrap my hands around that guys neck.

And there lies the problem of emotional logic.... it's self defeating.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
reply to post by Kryties

According to the bleeding hearts victims have no rights

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
LOL... it is much better to kill the intellectuals. Killing is killing. Someone said that the level of a civilization[s sophistication can be seen in how they treat their prisoners. We still kill them, what does that say about us?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think the best course of action is to lock him up in a cell to only go crazier and put the bill on the taxpayer. I think it only costs 28,000$ a year to house an inmate, and if there is anything we have plenty of, its free money and resources to throw around. As a species tip-toeing a fine path between creation and self-destruction, I think the best course of action is to use resources propping up the life the worst humans, at the expense of responsible and hard working citizens.

go ahead, argue with me!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
What an utter disgrace. It's the redneck attitude of "Stuff em, execute the bastards anyway" plus a complete ignorance of issues regarding IQ and medical mental status that keeps the system running....the "eye for an eye" system of retribution that seems to only favour those with money or power...

When the hell are people going to wake up, I wonder.

Awaiting the copious amounts of rednecks to come in and try to support the "Kill em anyway" stance..........

Why are you blaming rednecks When this went all the way to the supreme court? If they come in here to defend anything, it will be the unjust attack against a whole group of people you have deemed "rednecks" before you have ever even met them.

Just because he was executed in Texas does not mean he was executed by rednecks. Just so you know, people in texas are just like everyone else in the US. Believe it or not, they don't still ride horses every wear and dress like cowboys and shout "Yeehaw" while chewing tabbaco.

As the article said, this went all the way to the supreme court. The decision was made by the highest judges in the land, not a bunch of slack jawed yokels as you seem to imply.

If you are looking to blame some one, blame the supreme court for allowing it.

I don't like it either. This man did kill a child, but you have to wonder if he knew wha he was doing.... I think a more suitable punishment would be this guy being locked up in some kind of metal institution for the rest of his life... Or some other place where he would be on lock down where he could receive help for his mental disability...

But come on. Let's not blame a group of people who had nothing to do with it, just because of the state he was executed in. The choice was left to the supreme court. Not rednecks. Blame them...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by LordBucket

If you had have taken a moment to check my profile, you would see that I do not support the death penalty AT ALL. I believe it is wrong and a blight on humanity that we still execute people.

That could have been solved quite easily with a quick peruse of my profile....

Well damn.

To bad there are BAD people in this world, you know, people who do not think the same as you.

Those people will take advantage of you every chance they get.

And if you want to lock them up and feed them, go ahead. But please...take all of my taxes that are used to house the killers of our country. While you are at it, take the burden off of everyone else who wishes pieces of **** like the killer mentioned would just burn in hell with the help of a speedy execution.

Justice is not eye for an eye. Justice is where the victim gets a fair return. Sometimes, fair is impossible, and execution is the best we can do.

Call me heartless. I do not care. I have no pity for "idiots" (aka a person with a horribly low IQ).

Intelligence or not, we control our actions.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Costs more to kill 'em after the due process and legal fees, and appeals.

Sad but true.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
He kidnapped her.

He raped her for kicks.

He then kills to keep her quite.

That there proves he has a brain. He took independent action to try to keep for being punished.

He's IQ is high enough to die.

I will say this. I am sorry the my state takes such a long time. If we has 3 witness to testify against him he would have been dead in a year. I apologize on behalf of Texas for taking so long in killing him. But we like to make shire we are getting the right guy. We are rather big on punishing men like this but we hate it if we got the wrong man.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Since he's obviously to stupid to understand he did something wrong, perhaps wit that great, big ol' heart of yours, you could fill a life sentence for him? and he could go and live with your family?

no, of course not.. your self righteous preaching only goes so far.. he's to stupid for prison, hes to stupid to die, yet had the faculties to rape and murder a child...

I'm glad they killed him.. I only pray it was excruciatingly painful for that sick bastard, and I can only hope for all eternity his soul never finds peace.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
reply to post by VonDoomen

Costs more to kill 'em after the due process and legal fees, and appeals.

Sad but true.

The problem is not about saving money, but that is a part of it.

My main issue is that there are "real" killers out there allowed to live...they should not have that right. Them using tax money to be housed and fed infuriates me more.

Plus, whether or not it cost more to "kill em", that money is going around to the careers in law, and back around the chain.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If this was my child i would want him dead...not only did he murder the child he raped the kid to...this is just my opinion but world is a better place with out him

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I think a more suitable punishment would be this guy being locked up in some kind of metal institution for the rest of his life... Or some other place where he would be on lock down where he could receive help for his mental disability...

I thought the majority of your post was very well put and I agree, especially living in Tennessee (you know, another "redneck state"
) it is sad to see ignorant people stereotype like that, but sadly that is still a part of our evolving human culture.

However, I do disagree somewhat with the part in your post I quoted above. Firstly I do not believe this guy wasn't anywhere near retarded and/or disabled enough (according to the reports) where his actions were directly caused by his innate mental impairment, I mean an IQ of even 60 is still not low enough to have the kind of effect his defense attorneys were trying to argue (thus why the appeal was denied in the Supreme Court IMHO). This guy was not autistic or suffering from any major mental retardation conditions. The only thing wrong with him was a possible IQ of 60, which would not inhibit an individual to kill someone without realizing what they were doing, let alone kidnap and premeditate everything.

If this was some chance murder with no kidnapping or apparent premeditation then I believe he would have had a stronger case in regards to his intelligence level, which by the way people assume a low IQ or high IQ means everything, it does not and there are some flaws in the testing. IQ is simply a measure of intelligence potential, which in turn gives a good indication of how smart or stupid (yes, that is an actual classification of an IQ of 20 or lower) someone is. And yes, if someone has an IQ of say 40 or lower then yes, at that low of an intelligence potential certainly would not understand what they were doing, but this wasn't the case here.

So in my humble opinion I think that locking this guy up in a psych ward for life, while maybe helping him personally deal with his borderline retardation, it does not fit the crime, nor the condition of the defendant as I do not think his somewhat low IQ had anything to do with the murdering of that eleven year old girl. As I said though, I totally agree with the rest of your well said, relevant, and salient post.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
*Looks in thread.*

*Sees that it was about the topic for half a post, if that, and then became an argument due to mutual intolerance.*

*Intends no offense by making the above statement and apologizes in the event that offense has been incurred.*

*Departs thread.*

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think they shoulda chopped his dick off instead.

He abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered an 11 year old girl. If someone did that to my daughter I wouldn't execute them...immediately. I would torture them until their psyche couldn't handle it and shut down.

Maybe that's my "shut eyes" "redneck" opinion, but that's terrible what he did, regardless of IQ level.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join